Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Devialet at Oxford Audio 13th July
(13-Jul-2016, 20:50)Confused Wrote: Oi, Pim, are you taking the Mickey Bliss there??  Anyway, I listened to a 1000 Pro today, along with a few others.  Coming from a D800, I was not astonished and my jaw remained in place.  It did sound very good though!  The thing is, I'm used to hearing a Devialet with the KEF Blade.  Today's demo was with Wilson Audio Sasha II's, furthermore, the big demo room at Oxford Audio has been revamped, and it would appear the room has improved acoustically.  Also, I was not familiar with most of the music played today.  I have heard the Sasha's a few times before, and they were certainly sounding good today.   OK, a lot of waffle from me, but what I am saying is I am not in a position to advise exactly how good the 1000 Pro is, to do that I'd need the reference of my own speakers and music.

What about all the other questions? Prices, upgrades and streamerboard?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I'm sure they had to sign NDA's! Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Perhaps there were so many dropped jaws no-one could speak, so everyone just stood in silent amazement rather than ask hard-hitting questions?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(13-Jul-2016, 21:35)Antoine Wrote: I'm sure they had to sign NDA's! Big Grin

(13-Jul-2016, 21:39)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Perhaps there were so many dropped jaws no-one could speak, so everyone just stood in silent amazement rather than ask hard-hitting questions?

Hahaha Big Grin
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

So what did we learn today? Many things! I just hope I can recall most of it accurately. One point, our very own Ian G was there, and he planned ahead.... He had a pen and was taking many notes, hopefully he will be along later to correct any factual error I make.

So what's new? We were given a very detailed explanation of why the D1000 should sound better. Most of this is related to power, with much technical talk about why the additional power of the D1000 will improve sound quality in real world conditions.

The D1000 DAC is the same as in the current expert range. However, this is apparently totally irrelevant to sound quality, the key thing is the new ADH architecture, which apparently is new and very much improved. To be clear, the ADH hardware and software is new and much improved. Interestingly, O'dA owners currently have the new ADH hardware, but not the software! So O'dA owners can look forward to an immediate jump in SQ when the new firmware is released. The new firmware will be released for all Devialet models (including the D-Premier), but the new super ADH part of this software will only be implemented on the Od'A and PRO models. I hope Ian wrote the numbers down for this next bit, but apparently the ratio of class A to class D amp usage is different with the Pro, with the Expert being 2% class A, the Pro 0.5% class A. (this one surprised me!!) Whilst discussing power, the question of the power settings in the configurator was raised. How does setting this high or low effect sound quality. The short answer is that it makes zero difference, it acts as a limiter, but does nothing until the limit is approached.

Does anyone remember a post I wisely made stating that it would be ridiculous for the Od'A to have a copper plated base? (I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade, so I am well qualified to know best on these matters). Well, here are the facts, the 1000 Pro has a solid copper base, the Od'A is copper plated. I got that one wrong!! O'dA owners will have the option of keeping their existing bases, or having the higher spec solid copper base, which can be etched / signed / numbered like the original.

It has been spotted that the power module looks different in the Pro. It is different. The Expert (and Od'A) PEM will filter out PLC signals. The Pro is designed to work with PLC together with Phantoms. So, mains goes in un-filtered, PLC can go to the new streamer board, the mains is then filtered further inside the Dev. Apparently the new filtration in the Pro is better than the Expert.

There will be an equivalent 440 Pro, 220 Pro. The 120 will be upgradable to full 220 Pro spec or indeed 440 if you get a companion. 120 and 200 upgrade price will be the same, because the new innards used are identical cost. The UK price for the D800 to D1000 Pro upgrade is just under £5000, which includes the new streamer board, when available. Upgrades start in September, D800's are first in the queue (if there is a queue!!) the upgrade process takes 3 weeks or so. The old expert innards are not going to fill a giant skip somewhere in France, they are planned to be re-used by Devialet, probably in pro-audio applications. (I wonder where? ADH Dolby Atmos cinemas anyone??) The new steamer will be UPNP, but does include an ARM processor, and could be programed for as yet unspecified future applications. Devialet are in contact with Roon, it looks to me like there are some commercial subtleties here, Devialet cannot say anything firm.

Nothing to do with the Pro, but I did ask about the master companion link. Apparently the SPDIF to AES can be utilised with either a 75 or 110 ohm cable, or something in between. At first, I was told 'it makes no difference', apparently because the AES/EBU has an input transformer that makes the input effectively blind to cable impedance, however, apparently a cable with a transformer is theoretically the ideal. (such as the Audioprana?)

AIR..... Yes, I discussed AIR. This was a remarkably straight forward conversation as it happens. Apparently there are some issues with Windows AIR, the issues relate to undocumented aspects of the Windows operating system, a new version of Windows AIR is coming soon. How soon? July 2016, apparently, so there you have it folks! It really is coming soon. (so I was told)

So why was there a super special exclusive Od'A, then the Pro announced a few months later? Apparently the O'dA project indicated a level of performance that, it would appear, surprised Devialet themselves. From this happy discovery, they then upped the R&D effort to make the final Pro spec models for the masses, or something like that. There was even an (dis?)honourable mention of Devialet Chat! This was something along the lines of Devialet being aware of some disquiet amongst owners, they do read and take notice of Devialet Chat, Devialet policy is not to participate on Devialet chat, or comment publically on issues raised. Note that this was Devialet's Chief Designer talking. To me, he appeared to be very clear in emphasising that this was Devialet's policy. One could take by implication that it was not his personal policy, i.e., he would like to talk more freely. To be honest, we will never know. Devialet's policy appears to be clear, but hey, is anyone surprised by this revelation??

For Phantom lovers, yes, they had a Gold Phantom! Disappointingly, only one Gold Phantom. I did get a demo of the Gold, and I can advise that without any doubt whatsoever it was by far the best single speaker demonstration I have ever heard! Although the last thing I auditioned with one speaker was a clock radio.... Sorry, you just can't judge with only one. One thing that did catch my attention was a demo of a pair of silvers. The point is, I recall listening to a pair of silvers in the very same room at the Phantom launch day. OK, that was a long time ago, but during the audition today, it struck me that the Phantoms sounded a lot better than I recalled from the original demo. Talking to the Devialet rep, he said that there were some issues with mid / treble integration that were resolved with a firmware update 6 months ago. I have read some theories on this forum that Devialet have been trying to hold back the performance of the Phantoms to make the Golds more desirable, well, that is not what I heard today, they sounded a lot better I thought, in particular mid range detail.

I have probably forgotten a few things, and I look forward to Ian G fact checking all this, if he says I'm wrong and he is right, go with Ian, he had a notebook and nice pen!

As a final note, yes, the 1000 Pro sounds good. How good? I'll advise further if I get a chance to hook one up to the Blades.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Confused,

Brilliant post; well-writtien, well-edited and supremely informative. I think we should all be appreciative of the time you put into recording your impressions and discussions in Oxford. This post would be a winner in many threads on this forum. I especially appreciate your clear transcription of the factory rep comments. That the upgrade costs and components are the same for the D120 and D200 makes perfect sense; that the D120 could become part of a dual-mono set up is remarkable, and shows serious innovation and suggests a long life-span potential to the current Expert series.

Your reputation is already high, but it deserves and gets another boost from me.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
So am I correct in understanding that a new firmware is going to be released for the current Expert line very soon? But if it's not going to improve on SQ (as that would require the new ADH) then why come out with a new firmware for the current Expert line? Also a bit suprising that the new pro is going to only use 0.5% class A.

This part went completely over my head, so please can you elaborate what is PLC:

"It has been spotted that the power module looks different in the Pro. It is different. The Expert (and Od'A) PEM will filter out PLC signals. The Pro is designed to work with PLC together with Phantoms. So, mains goes in un-filtered, PLC can go to the new streamer board, the mains is then filtered further inside the Dev. Apparently the new filtration in the Pro is better than the Expert."

Thanks
Auralic Mini (Sbooster LPSU), Rega RP8, Melco N1A, Devialet D200, Devialet 400, ELAC BS314, ELAC BS312, Sonus Faber Olympica 1, Audioquest (Victoria, Yosemite, Vodka Cat7, Carbon USB) Chord Epic Master/Companion link, Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cable, Inakustik Reference LS-803 speaker cable,Isotek premium mains cables, TCI mains cables, Atlas mains unfiltered distribution block, Supra filtered mains distribution block, and synergistic research (red/black fuse,sort kone), and vertexaq (silver-jaya).
(13-Jul-2016, 21:53)Confused Wrote: So what did we learn today?  Many things!  I just hope I can recall most of it accurately.  One point, our very own Ian G was there, and he planned ahead....   He had a pen and was taking many notes, hopefully he will be along later to correct any factual error I make.

So what's new?  We were given a very detailed explanation of why the D1000 should sound better.  Most of this is related to power, with much technical talk about why the additional power of the D1000 will improve sound quality in real world conditions.

The D1000 DAC is the same as in the current expert range.  However, this is apparently totally irrelevant to sound quality, the key thing is the new ADH architecture, which apparently is new and very much improved.  To be clear, the ADH hardware and software is new and much improved.  Interestingly, O'dA owners currently have the new ADH hardware, but not the software!  So O'dA owners can look forward to an immediate jump in SQ when the new firmware is released.  The new firmware will be released for all Devialet  models (including the D-Premier), but the new super ADH part of this software will only be implemented on the Od'A and PRO models.  I hope Ian wrote the numbers down for this next bit, but apparently the ratio of class A to class D amp usage is different with the Pro, with the Expert being 2% class A, the Pro 0.5% class A.  (this one surprised me!!)  Whilst discussing power, the question of the power settings in the configurator was raised.  How does setting this high or low effect sound quality.  The short answer is that it makes zero difference, it acts as a limiter, but does nothing until the limit is approached.

Does anyone remember a post I wisely made stating that it would be ridiculous for the Od'A to have a copper plated base?  (I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade, so I am well qualified to know best on these matters).  Well, here are the facts, the 1000 Pro has a solid copper base, the Od'A is copper plated.  I got that one wrong!!  O'dA owners will have the option of keeping their existing bases, or having the higher spec solid copper base, which can be etched / signed / numbered like the original.  

It has been spotted that the power module looks different in the Pro.  It is different.  The Expert (and Od'A) PEM will filter out PLC signals.  The Pro is designed to work with PLC together with Phantoms.  So, mains goes in un-filtered, PLC can go to the new streamer board, the mains is then filtered further inside the Dev.  Apparently the new filtration in the Pro is better than the Expert.  

There will be an equivalent 440 Pro, 220 Pro.  The 120 will be upgradable to full 220 Pro spec or indeed 440 if you get a companion.  120 and 200 upgrade price will be the same, because the new innards used are identical cost.  The UK price for the D800 to D1000 Pro upgrade is just under £5000, which includes the new streamer board, when available.  Upgrades start in September, D800's are first in the queue (if there is a queue!!) the upgrade process takes 3 weeks or so.  The old expert innards are not going to fill a giant skip somewhere in France, they are planned to be re-used by Devialet, probably in pro-audio applications. (I wonder where?  ADH Dolby Atmos cinemas anyone??) The new steamer will be UPNP, but does include an ARM processor, and could be programed for as yet unspecified future applications.  Devialet are in contact with Roon, it looks to me like there are some commercial subtleties here, Devialet cannot say anything firm.

Nothing to do with the Pro, but I did ask about the master companion link.  Apparently the SPDIF to AES can be utilised with either a 75 or 110 ohm cable, or something in between.  At first, I was told 'it makes no difference', apparently because the AES/EBU has an input transformer that makes the input effectively blind to cable impedance, however, apparently a cable with a transformer is theoretically the ideal.  (such as the Audioprana?)

AIR.....    Yes, I discussed AIR.  This was a remarkably straight forward conversation as it happens.  Apparently there are some issues with Windows AIR, the issues relate to undocumented aspects of the Windows operating system, a new version of Windows AIR is coming soon.  How soon?  July 2016, apparently, so there you have it folks!  It really is coming soon.  (so I was told)

So why was there a super special exclusive Od'A, then the Pro announced a few months later?  Apparently the O'dA project indicated a level of performance that, it would appear, surprised Devialet themselves.  From this happy discovery, they then upped the R&D effort to make the final Pro spec models for the masses, or something like that.  There was even an (dis?)honourable mention of Devialet Chat!  This was something along the lines of Devialet being aware of some disquiet amongst owners, they do read and take notice of Devialet Chat, Devialet policy is not to participate on Devialet chat, or comment publically on issues raised.  Note that this was Devialet's Chief Designer talking.  To me, he appeared to be very clear in emphasising that this was Devialet's policy.  One could take by implication that it was not his personal policy, i.e., he would like to talk more freely.  To be honest, we will never know.  Devialet's policy appears to be clear, but hey, is anyone surprised by this revelation??

For Phantom lovers, yes, they had a Gold Phantom!  Disappointingly, only one Gold Phantom.  I did get a demo of the Gold, and I can advise that without any doubt whatsoever it was by far the best single speaker demonstration I have ever heard!  Although the last thing I auditioned with one speaker was a clock radio....  Sorry, you just can't judge with only one.  One thing that did catch my attention was a demo of a pair of silvers.  The point is, I recall listening to a pair of silvers in the very same room at the Phantom launch day.  OK, that was a long time ago, but during the audition today, it struck me that the Phantoms sounded a lot better than I recalled from the original demo.  Talking to the Devialet rep, he said that there were some issues with mid / treble integration that were resolved with a firmware update 6 months ago.  I have read some theories on this forum that Devialet have been trying to hold back the performance of the Phantoms to make the Golds more desirable, well, that is not what I heard today, they sounded a lot better I thought, in particular mid range detail.

I have probably forgotten a few things, and I look forward to Ian G fact checking all this, if he says I'm wrong and he is right, go with Ian, he had a notebook and nice pen!

As a final note, yes, the 1000 Pro sounds good.  How good?  I'll advise further if I get a chance to hook one up to the Blades.

thank you for such an informative and helpful post  Truly appreciated!

did they happen to mention the upgrade cost for the 120 and 200s?
Roon/mac mini > hqplayer > sms-200 ultra and MC-3+ USB both clocked via Mutec Ref 10 > MIT Oracle MA-X AES/EBU > D440 > Dynaudio C1 MkII via MIT Matrix HD-60
More than I could explain re PLC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-line_communication

In Devialet land, the plan is to enable an integrated Phantom / Expert set-up.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Ah, one thing I forgot re the DAC. Apparently DSD 128 is possible. Not planned soon, but possible. Here my memory is playing tricks, but I think the statement was that it is possible on all current Expert models, I have a niggle that I might have got this wrong, and it's Pro only, but for now, I'll stick with all Experts. Where is Ian and his notebook!