Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Expert Pro sound quality
Damon, good to hear that you're bowled over by the 220 Pro. What you describe is very similar to what I heard with my 400-to-440 Pro upgrade.

Just wanted to add that I think the W4S modification to the Sonos Connect brings a very worthwhile improvement to the sound quality. The only negative point that might not be obvious in advance is that it does reduce the radio's signal-to-noise ratio quite a bit (I have no idea why) so if the unit you're planning to modify already has spotty wireless performance it will get worse. Fortunately for me I can wire my modified Connect fairly easily but otherwise it would have been an unexpected nuisance. (Bear in mind that I had mine "done" several years ago so it's possible the modifications are different these days.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Damon, it sounds like a set of Transparent speaker cables would be a good fit for you. The built in networks are known to remove that utmost top treble hash. For a lack of better words. I love mine.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Hi Amici,

I genuinely appreciate all the replies. I needed to get it all out, tell somebody, and you guys are always ready to listen.

Axel: We listen to a lot of internet radio. Radio Paradise is really good, I agree. Our perennial favorite is OffRadio, from Greece. Also seems to sound pretty good, but I can't remember the specs. R. Paradise was highly rated by the Naim group as well.

Woodstock: Wow, very local. I'm near main & 20th, but my office is on 10th, closer to UBC. Though you were in Haida Gwa'ii? In spite of all the things the D220 P does well, I actually do understand your feeling about the change in sound; the presentation is very different, and I can see that one doesn't have the same connection to the music. I'm still adjusting to the change. Almost like a different amp altogether. Be good to continue to compare notes. Please PM or email anytime.

Thumb5: thanks very much for the note on the Sonos, as well as the caution about the possible wifi effect. Mine is about 20' from my iMac (wireless), but connected to the router by ethernet, which itself is right next to the Dev and the Sonos. I am bowled over, it is true, but it is pushing me to go over the other bits in the system. One other member (who knows who he is) even suggested that I just need one more D200P to go dual mono.... very cheeky. But source first, I think.

Dr T: I appreciate the cable suggestion. I've done some amateur cable swaps and heard virtually no change, and in other situations, had cable swaps that made differences that I was unable to dismiss. Even with careful attention to the set up and changes, and my usual skepticism in place. Any particular model or logical entry point to the brand?

Cheers and thanks to all.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks Damon.  I've been trying to assess the upgrade without a direct A to B comparison. 
I think you've put into words what I was thinking!   The treble can sound a little harsh on some recordings.
I will try adjusting the treble; just wish the Devialet remote app displayed the bass and treble levels.
Roon -> AIR -> Ethernet ->  D220-> KEF Reference 3
(10-Dec-2016, 18:22)Damon Wrote: Dr T: I appreciate the cable suggestion. I've done some amateur cable swaps and heard virtually no change, and in other situations, had cable swaps that made differences that I was unable to dismiss. Even with careful attention to the set up and changes, and my usual skepticism in place. Any particular model or logical entry point to the brand?

I'm with you on cable swaps, they had never made a difference to me until I tried Transparent with their network boxes.  The network is designed to shunt off that ultra high end noise.  They aren't suppose to affect the audible top end but most including myself agree that they do, and it should be beneficial to you.  I bought them to help deal with the extra top end that my former Focal's had.

I'd go plus or pro whatever you can afford.  I have Pros.  Definitely demo them first.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Thanks Dr T.
I think that cables can be part of tuning a system, and a user reference is valuable. Also the reference to Focal speakers. I haven't heard them recently but have in the past, once with a BAT integrated and then later with a Simaudio/ Moon intergrated. It helps as I have a bit of a memory of the high end on the Focals, so that makes the cable recommendation more interesting. Demo first, absolutely... though I clearly did not follow this good advice on the upgrade.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(20-Jun-2016, 21:58)Fragoulisnaval Wrote: The chip the Devialet is using is three generations back at least. Modern chips outperform it with regards to S/N ratio, architecture, etc. just look at the new generation of AKM or ESS. Of course, the chip by itself is meaningless unless it is followed by a well engineered analog part and this is where the Devialet has done a truly excellent job.

I will agree that of the Devialet does not upgrade the dac chip, any cost above €1000 will be too expensive and even pointless. The sound improvement will not justify the cost.

Now matter how much I love my D200, truth must be told

I agree but must say it's the total sum of parts that make the Devialet simply work as the upgrade goes  it was well worth it the sound is completely different 
Also worth noting that Devialet use a similar configuration in using a class a and class b amps  
That was the old quad 405 called then current dumping I had one ! 
It's was ok in the day but no way can ŷou compare it to the Devialet just look inside 
That quad had a lot of internal wiring.  That's gone on the Devialet
I had the chance to compare my own D120 with the new D220Pro in my own home system earlier this week.

I can agree with most of what has been said here; the new 220 obviously has better control in all ranges, plays with greater ease, offers more detail and presents a wider soundstage.
It is a better amp, no doubt.

But is it impressively better than the D120?
Or, to put it differently, did it make me want to spend an extra 3500,- to replace my D120?

The D220pro offers all of the same qualities that convinced me to buy a D120, and adds a tad more of everything, but, after listening to it for a couple of hours, I did not come away feeling like the D120 was a vastly inferior product.
D120 has it own sound which I have come to appreciate more and more every time I hear it.
In the end, it even felt like coming back home again when we switched back to the D120.

All in all, I have decided against upgrading and instead spend the money on my record collection.
Devialet 120 - Wilson Sophia - Technics SL-1000 - Rega Apollo - Chromecast
(15-Dec-2016, 16:32)MrJellyLord Wrote: I had the chance to compare my own D120 with the new D220Pro in my own home system earlier this week.

I can agree with most of what has been said here; the new 220 obviously has better control in all ranges, plays with greater ease, offers more detail and presents a wider soundstage.
It is a better amp, no doubt.

But is it impressively better than the D120?
Or, to put it differently, did it make me want to spend an extra 3500,- to replace my D120?

The D220pro offers all of the same qualities that convinced me to buy a D120, and adds a tad more of everything, but, after listening to it for a couple of hours, I did not come away feeling like the D120 was a vastly inferior product.
D120 has it own sound which I have come to appreciate more and more every time I hear it.
In the end, it even felt like coming back home again when we switched back to the D120.

All in all, I have decided against upgrading and instead spend the money on my record collection.

Good to hear your views on this as a lot of us are no doubt weighing up the pros and cons of the upgrade.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hi Damon,

Interesting reading about your experiences with the new D220. I did the D250 ->D250 Pro upgrade and I share many of your experiences regarding the way the Pro-series present the depth of image. Initially my feeling was that the soundstage had deepend but after a while I realised that it had gone from "speaker going backwards" into " in front of speakers and streching backwards" ( please excuse if my way of explaining my experience is a bit odd - I could not describe it better - maybe because my english is limited), and there are a lot more of "surround sound experiences" in the soundstage presentation than before.

Regarding the metallic touch you experience: I am using a Auralic Aries Mini as a streamer after using "Air" connected via lan since the introduction. The Mini is connected to the D250 Pro as recommended from Auralic - with an USB- cable. Over all this is better than the "Air" way - but it sounded a bit metallic. This showed to be an USB-cable issue in my case. After trying 4 different USB's I ended up with the Shunyata Venom USB. It lacked all metal hardness without loosing details as some other cables I tried.

Regards

Björn

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden