Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Expert Pro sound quality
That still seems to me to be a black and white statement with little evidence to justify it, if you don't mind me saying so. Of course there are DAC chips that have better on-paper specifications than those in the Expert series. But I can imagine there could be many detailed improvements to the implementation even based on the same DAC (chip) that would result in better sound quality. Why do you rule out that possibility?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Maybe the new 'ADH Intelligence' does include a new DAC? Why not? I would be surprised if it doesn't.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
IMO the DAC chip they use is transparent and is not a limiting factor in the performance. It is inexpensive to produce a transparent DAC chip nowadays as long as tooling allows it to be made in big numbers.
An outstanding DAC well engineered and produced with state of the art tooling will be cheaper than a DAC which is less well engineered and produced in smaller quantities.

It is years since the DAC chip itself was a limiting factor in sound quality. IMHO.

I have had an 8 channel ADC/DAC for 5 or 6 years where the input is audibly indistinguishable from the output, ie the mic feed and output of the recorder sound identical.
Nobody I have tried it on has been able to hear any difference between it and a straightforward interconnect, including me, and I am very fussy about recorder's sound quality.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(20-Jun-2016, 21:58)thumb5 Wrote: That still seems to me to be a black and white statement with little evidence to justify it, if you don't mind me saying so. Of course there are DAC chips that have better on-paper specifications than those in the Expert series. But I can imagine there could be many detailed improvements to the implementation even based on the same DAC (chip) that would result in better sound quality. Why do you rule out that possibility?

Because even the maker of the existing dac chip has acknowledged that what Devialet has done with their chip is the best they have seen and cannot go any further .
(20-Jun-2016, 23:57)Fragoulisnaval Wrote:
(20-Jun-2016, 21:58)thumb5 Wrote: That still seems to me to be a black and white statement with little evidence to justify it, if you don't mind me saying so.  Of course there are DAC chips that have better on-paper specifications than those in the Expert series.  But I can imagine there could be many detailed improvements to the implementation even based on the same DAC (chip) that would result in better sound quality.  Why do you rule out that possibility?

Because even the maker of the existing dac chip has acknowledged that what Devialet has done with their chip is the best they have seen and cannot go any further .

From Where You have this info? Please quote Your source.
from the Devialet site, if you read the "magic wire" principle, that last line says for the dac :
<<In the end, the performance levels obtained exceed the manufacturer's specifications.>>. And i have not seen such a statement from any other company that uses this dac chip.
I have performed a detailed evaluation of all available data. I have also been lucky enough to talk to one individual who attended the now infamous Paris 'launch' event.

I can now advise that I believe the new model will sound better than the current model. Exactly how much better will be subjective and opinions will vary. So there you have it! I will update further once I have actually had a chance to listen to one of the things......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(21-Jun-2016, 17:43)Confused Wrote: I have performed a detailed evaluation of all available data.  I have also been lucky enough to talk to one individual who attended the now infamous Paris 'launch' event.

I can now advise that I believe the new model will sound better than the current model.  Exactly how much better will be subjective and opinions will vary.  So there you have it!  I will update further once I have actually had a chance to listen to one of the things......

My distributor (NL) is planning a shootout between the old Expert and the new one. A few years ago he did the same with the D-Premier and the D-250. It was very convincing and it was very helpfull in making the decision to do the upgrade. Like Confused I want to be convinced by listening to the new Expert in comparison with the old one, listening to my own music.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(22-Jun-2016, 10:03)Charlemagne Wrote:
(21-Jun-2016, 17:43)Confused Wrote: I have performed a detailed evaluation of all available data.  I have also been lucky enough to talk to one individual who attended the now infamous Paris 'launch' event.

I can now advise that I believe the new model will sound better than the current model.  Exactly how much better will be subjective and opinions will vary.  So there you have it!  I will update further once I have actually had a chance to listen to one of the things......

My distributor (NL) is planning a shootout between the old Expert and the new one. A few years ago he did the same with the D-Premier and the D-250. It was very convincing and it was very helpfull in making the decision to do the upgrade. Like Confused I want to be convinced by listening to the new Expert in comparison with the old one, listening to my own music.

When is he expecting to have a new unit to compare to the old?
No date yet for the moment.
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL