Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Airplay for Phantom
Hi,

I have noticed that the new Gold Phantom will support Airplay. Does anyone know if this function will be available for the Silver Phantom as well?  Huh
(29-Jun-2016, 11:26)Hissbull Wrote: Hi,

I have noticed that the new Gold Phantom will support Airplay. Does anyone know if this function will be available for the Silver Phantom as well?  Huh

Don't see why not. It has the exact same CPU and RAM. As per Apple's MFi (Airplay) licensing here Airplay has no hardware component so it's simply a case of Devialet offering Airplay as a software upgrade down the line.

The only possible issue is that there would be a licensing fee for Airplay which Devialet might not be willing to retroactively cover on past Phantoms. I'd be surprised if that were the case but guess we'll find out soon enough!
According to this article a good chunk of Phantoms are availble in Apple stores so it was expected Airplay would come along. I'd imagine a lot of customers who have already purchased Phantoms would be irritated if they didn't get Airplay.
When I bought a pair of Silver Phantom back in December 2015 I specifically asked in Paris (flagship store) whether I could expect an upgrade to Airplay in the future. The answer was that it would require a hardware upgrade. Since there it quite a bit of free space in the speaker it wouldn't be impossible. However they would not commit to it and kept suggesting to buy an airport express module.

Therefore I'd be surprised if we could upgrade to airplay via a firmware update. Also I doubt there will be a hardware upgrade. Right now if you have an issue with a speaker or brake let's say the tweeter, they replace the whole unit. I suspect that repairing these babies is almost impossible. In that sense Apple have found the right partner: both are selling products which are almost impossible to open once they're built Smile
In this side by side comparison of the specifications only Gold Phantom is Airplay compatible
http://en.devialet.com/phantom/#specifications/
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Just called the White City store in London. According to one of their sales guys it'll be coming in the form of a software update for the Silver and White Phantoms.
(01-Jul-2016, 13:04)dogbait Wrote: Just called the White City store in London. According to one of their sales guys it'll be coming in the form of a software update for the Silver and White Phantoms.

one of devialet engineers confirmed that silver and white phantom can't support airplay. firmware update won't achieve that, only through hardware update. so white and silvers can forget about airplay now.
Can Dialog be updated to support AirPlay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can't see anywhere on Devialet's website that the Phantom Gold still supports Airplay?? Can someone confirm that it actually does support Airplay?
You're right, they have removed the Airplay support on the website. That is really strange and a bit disturbing.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage