Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Airplay for Phantom
This is factually false.
You need no "chipset" to send or receive AirPlay.

The AirPlay solution is all-software, and open-source implementations exist for both sides (source/sink), and are implemented in many open-source projects, like VLC.
ApexSink is the module for gstreamer (Devialet uses gstreamer on the Phantoms): https://github.com/agx/gst-plugins-bad/b...apexsink.h
Standalone the simplest sink is for example this one: https://github.com/abrasive/shairport

In summary, the issue at hand is only the licensing part with Apple and willingness of Devialet to add these "premium" software feature to the "non-premium" product lines.

P.S. If anyone would be able to get their hands on the firmware files, and/or disassemble their Phantoms to get to the Flash chips, this and many other features could be added by the community.
Just tested airplay to stream sound from my laptop. It works but I got a 2 sec lag which makes the experiences awful. Anyone else has the same issue? Any solution?
(24-Dec-2016, 09:36)gregleo Wrote: Just tested airplay to stream sound from my laptop. It works but I got a 2 sec lag which makes the experiences awful. Anyone else has the same issue? Any solution?

Yeah. I have sound dropouts between left and right speaker with airplay. Mostly when I raise or lower the volume
How does streaming through Spotify connect or spark work for you?
I only have problems with airplay. Don't know if it's a software issue or what?
Maybe a new form/software update will help?
...Not to mention the Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry (Toslink) with VolumIo do Airplay for less than £50
(26-Dec-2016, 10:14)daibaron Wrote: ...Not to mention the Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry (Toslink) with VolumIo do Airplay for less than  £50

But what you're missing is that the Raspberry Pi won't be able to notify the sending device how much lag it needs to put into the video stream to sync it up with the phantoms.  I believe that's the inherent reason Devialet is airplay enabling the Golds and the Dialogs.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
I got the Xma bundle with a pair silvers and airplay enabled dialog. No dropout at all.
Just on a lark, thought I might mention this option for those who are Dialog free and perhaps in possession of some AppleTV hardware. I had an old 3rd gen AppleTV with optical out. I connected it directly to Phantom optical in. That got me an immediate connection. Then I routed my Audio from my 4th gen AppleTV to my 3rd gen AppleTV using Airplay and the audio routing option on the 4th Gen TV. Audio now streams from AppleTV directly to Phantom when using AppleTV, and directly from iPhone, iPad, and Laptop when using them. No drops. In addition, Volume for AppleTV material is controllable with Apple remote without Spark. No idea if this configuration is helpful to anyone, but it's working well for me. Using Vox to play FLAC directly to Phantom. Nice. Happy New Year everyone!
Wow that's clever!! Mind you why did you need the extra Apple TV? You couldn't just steam from iphone to Apple TV into Phantom optical?
(06-Jan-2017, 20:57)Jamington2004 Wrote: Wow that's clever!! Mind you why did you need the extra Apple TV? You couldn't just steam from iphone to Apple TV into Phantom optical?

Idea I suspect the honest answer was "because I had it," but I definitely could have done just the Apple TV 4  Cool .

I did like being able to explicitly utilize the digital out on the Apple TV 3, as not only was it cleaner, but it offered me the option of direct playback such that I didn't have to go back to the 4 every time if I had changed destination speakers for the audio of its sourced video content—the Apple TV 3 gave me the always on option for my audio, which is how I am using my Phantom by default.
(24-Dec-2016, 13:48)daniel_rodrigues Wrote:
(24-Dec-2016, 09:36)gregleo Wrote: Just tested airplay to stream sound from my laptop. It works but I got a 2 sec lag which makes the experiences awful. Anyone else has the same issue? Any solution?

Yes I also have this issue. I called Devialet support and the guy told me to reboot the Phantom and the computers and set them up again and it would work. Tried it and the lag is still there. annoying!