Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet into other power amps?
So who has ran preamp out into other power amps?

I think I'm going to start trying some other options and see what I like or don't like in comparison to the ADH of the Devialet.  Probably start with the VX-5 Twenty from Ayre.

Being an all in one it's hard to compare the Devialet to other offerings.  Using it as a pre into a different power stage should tell me what's up when it comes to power amps at least.  After that the sky is the limit for the front end.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I am using the preamp function of my D250 but filtered for lowpass (200Hz) for a woofer specific amp. This mono amps are presently based on DIY based Anaview modules which sound much better as the Kharma MP150s which I used before and work quite good for their purpose. But I also tested these amps full range using the preamp function and there was no question at all which sounds better: D250 full range.
Personally I would not consider any expert amp as only a DAC/preamp. I think one needs to compare a dac + amp to a any expert.
(30-Jun-2016, 16:32)Music or sound Wrote: Personally I would not consider any expert amp as only a DAC/preamp. I think one needs to compare a dac + amp to a any expert.

I would never use mine as a DAC/preamp.  Just asking questions in preparation for the move away from Devialet.

I guess this was a silly question, as anyone that tried different power amps and liked it would have moved away from Devialet already and wouldn't be on this forum.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(30-Jun-2016, 01:52)Dr Tone Wrote: So who has ran preamp out into other power amps?

I think I'm going to start trying some other options and see what I like or don't like in comparison to the ADH of the Devialet.  Probably start with the VX-5 Twenty from Ayre.

Being an all in one it's hard to compare the Devialet to other offerings.  Using it as a pre into a different power stage should tell me what's up when it comes to power amps at least.  After that the sky is the limit for the front end.

Dr Tone

For the last 3 weeks, I have been alternating between using my D400 as a complete system
or using it as a pre only and using a set of Classe M600 mono blocks. (c/w Nordost Hemidale interconnects) 

I found (and 4 others) the Devialet to be more natural. The Dev/Classe combo had better bass
but the mids and vocals where muddy. 

Every time I switched back to the D400's the vocals sounded so much more natural, and clearer.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(30-Jun-2016, 23:17)BrianT Wrote:
(30-Jun-2016, 01:52)Dr Tone Wrote: So who has ran preamp out into other power amps?

Dr Tone

For the last 3 weeks, I have been alternating between using my D400 as a complete system
or using it as a pre only and using a set of Classe M600 mono blocks. (c/w Nordost Hemidale interconnects) 

I found (and 4 others) the Devialet to be more natural. The Dev/Classe combo had better bass
but the mids and vocals where muddy. 

Every time I switched back to the D400's the vocals sounded so much more natural, and clearer.

Brian

Thanks Brian.  I should be able to try a VX-5 Twenty and maybe a Ref 75 as well this weekend.

Dr Tone,

I see that you have your Devialet on CAM; have you decided to move to another system? I know one other member who was considering a pre-out board for his D120 and using other power amps, but that was in part a need for more power to drive his speakers.

It seems an expensive way to experiment, buying multiple power amps, but I know that for some the box-swaping is part of the hobby. Ayre and ARC (which I think you are referring to) are certainly very highly regarded products.

It sort of reminds me of the guitar/ bass amplifier world: it is a matter of finding a system that gives the best overall sound (to your ears), rather than just the bass or treble or midrange. I gave up expensive vintage tube amps in favour of a SS integrated bass head because, on balance, I had a better, more appropriate overall sound... for me.

But I would be surprised if dissecting the Devialet does the job. So, for you, it may not be the right pizza box.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(01-Jul-2016, 02:36)Damon Wrote: Dr Tone,

But I would be surprised if dissecting the Devialet does the job. So, for you, it may not be the right pizza box.

Not dissecting, out of disgust, baby steps in a different direction.  If I find a power amp that tickles my fancy I have another line stage and dac I can use for a bit.  Better preamps and DACs than the Devialet's are easy to come by.  ADH and SAM is what makes the Devialet special, IMO.

(01-Jul-2016, 04:01)Dr Tone Wrote:

Not dissecting, out of disgust, baby steps in a different direction.  If I find a power amp that tickles my fancy I have another line stage and dac I can use for a bit.  Better preamps and DACs than the Devialet's are easy to come by.   ADH and SAM is what makes the Devialet special, IMO.

The DAC is an integral part of ADH, which also incorporated the preamp function, so what you wrote is nonsense.

One can certainly buy more expensive DACs and preamps but judging whether they are different would be impossible since one can not separate the effect of the DAC from ADH.

FWIW in my experience making music recordings for almost 50 years ADC/DACs which are audibly transparent have been available at reasonable cost for years.
Yes one can pay a lot for one full of fashionable components, or buy one which is deliberately euphonically coloured but that doesn't make it "better" just perhaps nicer for somebody who doesn't like the balance chosen by the recording engineer, or to match speaker/room issues.

The euphonic sounds are also available as inexpensive DSP plugins, but most hifi enthusiasts prefer something reassuringly expensive. On my recording system the most popular plugin in according to the user forum simulates the sound of an analogue reel-to-reel recorder, which is fairly easy to do.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(01-Jul-2016, 17:35)f1eng Wrote:
(01-Jul-2016, 04:01)Dr Tone Wrote:

Not dissecting, out of disgust, baby steps in a different direction.  If I find a power amp that tickles my fancy I have another line stage and dac I can use for a bit.  Better preamps and DACs than the Devialet's are easy to come by.   ADH and SAM is what makes the Devialet special, IMO.

The DAC is an integral part of ADH, which also incorporated the preamp function, so what you wrote is nonsense.

One can certainly buy more expensive DACs and preamps but judging whether they are different would be impossible since one can not separate the effect of the DAC from ADH.

No need to to get defensive as an owner, Devialet hasn't done a single thing to deserve it.

Saying you can't compare the output section and/or preamp DAC combo to other options doesn't make sense.  All it take is a dedicated power amp.  You can then compare the Devialet output section to that power amp as BriantT has done above.  You can then also compare the Devialet front end to other offerings using that same power amp.

You can't break the DAC and preamp apart on the Devialet for comparison that much I can agree on.

Anyway, my comparison plans have come to an end for now at least as the Ayre doesn't support Bananas.

(01-Jul-2016, 17:35)f1eng Wrote: The DAC is an integral part of ADH, which also incorporated the preamp function, so what you wrote is nonsense.

FYI: 

ADH stands for "Class A" "Class D" Hybrid.  The "D" in class D does not mean digital, it's still analog.  The DAC has already converted the signal to analog for the ADH model.  Thus the DAC has nothing to do with the ADH power amplifier.