Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audible dropouts when connecting turntable to phono input on Companion
Hi,
I recently sold away some of my old stuff and re-arranged my setup by having the master and slave next to each other, instead of above each other (on separate shelves, not directly on top). Due to this, my short signal cable from my turntable couldn't reach the master unit, so I enabled the linking of inputs from the slave unit instead of buying a new Kimber Select cable. However, I can hear some dropouts in the audio. They are very short and perhaps it's not even dead silent during the dropouts, but it's difficult to be certain. Since the old cable is too short, I can't try hooking it up to the master unit again, very easily. 

Have anyone else had similar problems?
I'm thinking that the 3.5 mm stereo cable, used for linking, can be defective. It's an old extension cable for a pair of long gone headphones. How does this link work anyway? Edit: I'm aware (or at least hoping) that it's not transmitting the audio signal from the slave to the master, only triggering the enabling of this feature.

Also, some other things seems to have changed when activating this linking of inputs; namely both displays show the dimmed "400" text when in standby mode and both display the active input and volume level, when I play music (except for the optical input, since I've set it to dim the displays, because it's connected to my TV). Before, only the master showed information on the display, except during powering on and off. I really don't get this...?!  Huh
Ken - a new Devialet fan, located in Sweden  Cool
I believe the link cable sends a signal, telling the Devialet's which direction the master / companion link should go, and telling that companion that it is now master, with respect to which inputs to use.

As an experiment, try playing a record and part way through the track pull the trigger cable out. A bit drastic, but it will tell you what it's doing mid song!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(30-Jun-2016, 14:54)Confused Wrote: I believe the link cable sends a signal, telling the Devialet's which direction the master / companion link should go, and telling that companion that it is now master, with respect to which inputs to use.

As an experiment, try playing a record and part way through the track pull the trigger cable out.  A bit drastic, but it will tell you what it's doing mid song!

I think so too, so maybe there is a glitch in my 3.5 mm cable. Anyhow, I'll try that and see what happens. Can also try to wiggle it slightly, before pulling it, to try and find out if the cable is damaged from using it with mobile headphones.
Thanks Smile

The thing about the display settings being affected, is most likely due to the companion now being a possible master, when that particular input is chosen and therefore other settings seems to be equal to the masters settings.
I had some pink noise when switching from AEB/EBU on the Master and Slave. I decided not to use any input on the Slave.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
OK. And you are sure that your cable for linking (3.5 mm stereo jack) was fine?
In that case, there's some other problem with this solution. Hmm...
I don't think this has anything to do with the 3.5mm stereo jack. More likely the digital link cable you are using between the Master and Companion is not compatible with Devialet. I have had similar issues of audio dropout with the AudioQuest Diamond digital cable. Everything works fine if the content remains below 24/192. Audio dropouts at 24/192. You should check in the configurator if you have enabled the phono output as 24/192. If that is the case the i would suggest dropping it back down to 24/96. And eventually change the digital link cable.
Auralic Mini (Sbooster LPSU), Rega RP8, Melco N1A, Devialet D200, Devialet 400, ELAC BS314, ELAC BS312, Sonus Faber Olympica 1, Audioquest (Victoria, Yosemite, Vodka Cat7, Carbon USB) Chord Epic Master/Companion link, Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cable, Inakustik Reference LS-803 speaker cable,Isotek premium mains cables, TCI mains cables, Atlas mains unfiltered distribution block, Supra filtered mains distribution block, and synergistic research (red/black fuse,sort kone), and vertexaq (silver-jaya).