Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Ensemble review in HFC
(02-Jun-2014, 20:33)Jwg1749 Wrote: I hate to rain on people's parades, but there's a big question mark over distortion at low frequencies with SAM.

Getting a small driver to go down to 25Hz at -3dB has to involve sacrifices somewhere. SAM cannot bend the laws of physics. The likely effect of this deep bass extension with small standmount speakers is relatively high LF distortion.

On the other hand, I can well imagine how SAM could have big benefits for larger speakers in the bass department.

Not knocking SAM: just trying to be realistic.

Still, I'm dead interested to see what SAM will do for the Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms which I have in storage!

Matt

I'd also be very interested in knowing whether SAM can bring anything to the party with the Montis... given the built-in amplifier etc etc.

But yes Cremonas will be worth a spin!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(02-Jun-2014, 20:33)Jwg1749 Wrote: On the other hand, I can well imagine how SAM could have big benefits for larger speakers in the bass department.

By the way SAM on my Sophia 3s is insane. I've never heard quite so much bass in my life. The Sophias were pretty good before, now they're extraordinary.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I reckon the Montis are a lost cause for SAM. But they're bloomin' good speakers already!

I'm sure the bass of your Sophias is wonderful with SAM. All I need is an invitation! :cheeky grin:

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(02-Jun-2014, 20:05)moreno1973 Wrote:
(02-Jun-2014, 12:00)Flashman Wrote: Hard to believe that, with SAM, this little bookshelf speaker can reach down to 20Hz (from a published 45Hz without SAM).

Can reach frequency response with SAM : 25 Hz (- 3dB)

But this is at - 3dB. Normally measures done by audio press are at - 6dB. So this is a little tricky.

Friend of mine said measurements at -3dB were tougher than at -6dB, so when you say a little tricky, were you implying maybe not as good? Again, the measurement stuff is Greek to me.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(04-Jun-2014, 11:12)Flashman Wrote: Friend of mine said measurements at -3dB were tougher than at -6dB, so when you say a little tricky, were you implying maybe not as good? Again, the measurement stuff is Greek to me.

Your friend is right. See this whitepaper for reference. Smile http://qsc.com/files/8913/6278/6523/3dB_..._paper.pdf
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(04-Jun-2014, 17:57)Antoine Wrote:
(04-Jun-2014, 11:12)Flashman Wrote: Friend of mine said measurements at -3dB were tougher than at -6dB, so when you say a little tricky, were you implying maybe not as good? Again, the measurement stuff is Greek to me.

Your friend is right. See this whitepaper for reference. Smile http://qsc.com/files/8913/6278/6523/3dB_..._paper.pdf

Geez, that's really good news!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(02-Jun-2014, 20:33)Jwg1749 Wrote: Still, I'm dead interested to see what SAM will do for the Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms which I have in storage!

Matt

I am even more interested because I have them in my room;-)
Even without SAM bass is very good and midrange is excellent. I hope that with SAM on, Auditor M could be a terrific monitors.
I heard what SAM could achive with B&W805D transforming them into higher class speakers, more refined, more musical...
I took delivery of my Devialet Ensemble kit the about 3 weeks ago. It is a truly amazing system the SAM processing is a true innovation and really makes the Atom GT1 speakers sing and the bass is incredible with SAM enabled I'm still looking for what seems like 1-2 new invisible subwoofers added to my system!
Devialet 200 , Focal 1038BE
Devialet Ensemble on the way
Just read this thread.

I am wondering if anyone has actually measured the bass extension on this ensemble themselves to see if the 25hz extension:

1. Is really at -3db. I still find it hard to believe. Just amazing stat. This is a question of how flat it goes down.

2. What is the peak db at this level? This is a question of quantity that it can reproduce at 25hz.

3. Quality - this is more subjective. Wondering if the 25hz is taut and fast. The grand piano can go down to 27hz and its timbre is not always the easiest to produce.

If it really is 25hz with sufficient quantity and quality, then for small room setting, no need for towers or the like. And it probably images remarkably well.

Thanks!
MtnGuy

(10-Aug-2014, 23:21)supreme Wrote: I took delivery of my Devialet Ensemble kit the about 3 weeks ago. It is a truly amazing system the SAM processing is a true innovation and really makes the Atom GT1 speakers sing and the bass is incredible with SAM enabled I'm still looking for what seems like 1-2 new invisible subwoofers added to my system!