Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Devialet?
Devialet also notes that you can connect your NAS directly to the Devialet if your NAS has USB out.
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...from-a-NAS
One simple solution might be to use a Sonos Connect (or similar) as a source with digital output to a Devialet.  That would give you access to files on a NAS, internet radio, Qobuz (and other streaming services) without the hassles associated with a computer-based set-up.  One possible disadvantage of the Sonos Connect -- depending on your point of view -- is that it does not support higher-than-CD resolution.   If/when Devialet's streamer board arrives and meets your needs it would be easy to re-sell the Connect later on, so you could look at it as a stop-gap.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(01-Jul-2016, 22:41).deviousalet Wrote: Asking for the timeline of Devialet releases is a good game around here, but they announced the new Expert 1000 today so should announce others "soon". The new Expert series should sound better and be more efficient, but we don't yet know prices or specs. for the lower models. I recommend waiting at least a few weeks to know more about the new series or let the prices of the old series fall. Only buy a Devialet for current features, never for what's promised in the future (their amps are great but their marketing is unreliable to dishonest). In the mean time I'll try to answer your questions:

1 - The best Devialet will be the farthest up the line you can afford, and used models are cheaper of course (and likely cheaper as soon as the new models arrive).

2 - Devialet has advertised a streaming board for the updated Expert line to come in 2017, but currently lack streaming (and we won't believe it until we see it since they've made similar promises for many years). They currently do not support UPnP, DLNA, AirPlay, or any other streaming protocols.

3 - The Devialet Phantom & Dialog active speaker system is set up to stream from various services but the Expert systems have no streamer integrated so support whatever the streamer you connect supports. There are many streamers that work well and aren't very expensive, but they do require another box (the streamer) until Devialet integrates a streamer into the Expert series.

4 - The iOS app for the Expert series is a volume control and allows source selections (including playing music from the iOS device). AIR is Devialet's version of AirPlay: a way to connect to Expert series from wherever your music lives (except that AIR fails for many people so don't count on it)

5 - Internet radio is in the streaming domain, unsupported by the Expert series at present.

6 - I'm the wrong person to compare Devialet and Linn, but if you search this forum you'll find many people who have switched from Linn to Devialet or use both. We are subjective fans of the Devialet sound of course, but many of us have compared to every other amp we've had access to and love our Devialet the most for sound quality.

7 - The Devialet Expert series is available in stereo (one box) or dual-mono (two boxes) and you can always add the second box to upgrade. So you can try Devialet with a D200 or D250 and then jump to the D400 or D800 respectively. The D120 lacks that capacity. The first Devialet model (D-Premier) are still available used but they lack many features of the newer models so don't buy one unless you want the power of the D250 and are certain you can live within their limitations. The D200 and D400 are the most common entry points into the Devialet Expert series.

I hope that was helpful. Please tell us if you buy a Devialet. We're always excited to welcome new members to the enjoyment of Devialet's great sound.
Great post!
If your box count requirement is an aspiration rather than something set in stone I would suggest having a dem of the 200 now.  If you love the sound quality then you can pump the dealer for info on the new range, and come back here to sound out ideas for the fiddly streaming solution.  If you don't like the sound you can get on with investigating something else.

I'm so impressed with the sound quality of the current units I cannot get my head around how much better they might get, so I doubt there will be any fundamental change in sound, just a slight improvement, and probably more power.  If you know how the current range sound it will put you in a good position to move quick if there is a second hand bonanza when the new range comes out.  In short, dem now, decide later.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Of course, if you demo them now it will be harder to wait. Wink
(02-Jul-2016, 12:43)Soniclife Wrote: If your box count requirement is an aspiration rather than something set in stone I would suggest having a dem of the 200 now.  If you love the sound quality then you can pump the dealer for info on the new range, and come back here to sound out ideas for the fiddly streaming solution.  If you don't like the sound you can get on with investigating something else.

I'm so impressed with the sound quality of the current units I cannot get my head around how much better they might get, so I doubt there will be any fundamental change in sound, just a slight improvement, and probably more power.  If you know how the current range sound it will put you in a good position to move quick if there is a second hand bonanza when the new range comes out.  In short, dem now, decide later.

I think this is great advice and echoes how I feel. Not really interested in any upgrades as for me I now have the best sound I have ever had
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(02-Jul-2016, 13:11)Womaz Wrote:
(02-Jul-2016, 12:43)Soniclife Wrote: If your box count requirement is an aspiration rather than something set in stone I would suggest having a dem of the 200 now.  If you love the sound quality then you can pump the dealer for info on the new range, and come back here to sound out ideas for the fiddly streaming solution.  If you don't like the sound you can get on with investigating something else.

I think this is great advice and echoes how I feel. Not really interested in any upgrades as for me I now have the best sound I have ever had

Yeah, I tend to agree with you guys. Is the touted cost of €6000 to upgrade my 400s really going to give that much of an improvement in SQ? I doubt it somehow. I think I'd rather spend the dough on upgrading my speakers to SF Olympica II, where I'll be able to hear (and see) where the money's gone!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
QNAP with Jriver and Devialet works perfectly! Bit perfect and many more options enthusiasts like about Jriver.
(04-Jul-2016, 22:33)markush Wrote: QNAP with Jriver and Devialet works perfectly! Bit perfect and many more options enthusiasts like about Jriver.

This is getting a bit off topic, but I use a QNAP HS251+ with JRiver loaded onto the NAS. It works really well, but you need to shield the Devialet from the electrically dirty USB output of the NAS. I use an industrial version Intona USB isolator which provides galvanic isolation and reclocks the signal. This makes an easily heard improvement in SQ.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Will have a look at the Itona isolator! Thanks for the pointer. How would you rate the SQ improvement?