Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple buying Tidal.
(04-Jul-2016, 18:41)Confused Wrote: Apple Music is not restricted to Apple products only, so that should indicate something?

No not really.  It's restricted to iTunes, the Apple Music apps and Sonos.  I think Sonos is the only 3rd party device?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-an...music/2352
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(04-Jul-2016, 19:03)Dr Tone Wrote:
(04-Jul-2016, 18:41)Confused Wrote: Apple Music is not restricted to Apple products only, so that should indicate something?

No not really.  It's restricted to iTunes, the Apple Music apps and Sonos.  I think Sonos is the only 3rd party device?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-an...music/2352

Don't get me wrong, I get the issue here.  My point was that Apple Music is available via PC's, Android devices, that is, not just Apple products.  There are not that many third party products that can run Tidal, but yes, a lot more can run Tidal when compared to Apple Music.  So yes, overall, Apple's move here is probably a bad thing.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
This could be one of those women's magazine thingies; She's pregnant! No she's not. She's fat! What went wrong? Is her relationship ok? Read all the latest here!

http://www.audiostream.com/content/apple...WKJulkd.97

Meanwhile, we know nothing  Huh
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Every company is in business to make money; even me and mine. The near demise of Tidal last year was very likely because they weren't making money. I was only saying that Apple is not likely to make Apple hardware necessary to get Tidal if they were to acquire it. I have only Apply computer equipment, and yet I do not use Apple music. I do use iTunes, at least currently. I would not want to see Tidal or any other HQ streaming source denatured or downgraded nor do I want it to be absorbed into Apple music.

But is the topic of this thread a rumour, or is there some actual fact driving this discussion?
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(04-Jul-2016, 20:12)Damon Wrote: But is the topic of this thread a rumour, or is there some actual fact driving this discussion?

Just rumour and very unlikely.

My point was, I don't think there has been any historical case of apple buying a software/service company or technology that they didn't melt into their ecosystem/brand.  IMO, if they did buy Tidal, it's continued existence as is would be on life support.  Not something I want to see.

Beats being the exception, they simply bought the brand name on that one.  The hardware was and still remains nothing innovative.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(04-Jul-2016, 20:12)Damon Wrote: Every company is in business to make money; even me and mine. The near demise of Tidal last year was very likely because they weren't making money.  I was only saying that Apple is not likely to make Apple hardware necessary to get Tidal if they were to acquire it. I have only Apply computer equipment, and yet I do not use Apple music. I do use iTunes, at least currently. I would not want to see Tidal or any other HQ streaming source denatured or downgraded nor do I want it to be absorbed into Apple music.

But is the topic of this thread a rumour, or is there some actual fact driving this discussion?

Time will tell. I'm sure we'll know before the new Devialet streamer board is out.  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I might be late to this news, but the stereophile website has this article on it. Some support for the rumour, then. 
stereophile article
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(04-Jul-2016, 20:12)Damon Wrote: But is the topic of this thread a rumour, or is there some actual fact driving this discussion?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-in-tal...1467325314

(Someone had linked to this on Roon forums - looks like you need a login)

Also mentioned here. https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/30/wsj-...buy-tidal/

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<