Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin Logan Expression
Martin Logan Expression, successor to the excellent Summit X, arrive on Tuesday.  Expression incorporates optional low frequency eq, which will be enabled.  I will post experiences during the set up and break in period.
PS Audio P20 (2) and Power Bases (2), Aurender ACS10, Devialet 400, Martin Logan Neolith, Audioquest Wild & Diamond, Synergistic: Tranq  Base, FEQ, HFT, Black Box, Active Ground Block, Devialet Special Cords, Dedicated 20 amp circuits, Cryoed Romex.
(03-Jul-2016, 21:33)ralph411 Wrote: Martin Logan Expression, successor to the excellent Summit X, arrive on Tuesday.  Expression incorporates optional low frequency eq, which will be enabled.  I will post experiences during the set up and break in period.

Martin Logan Expression-Day 1

Expressions installed today in a 4 hour process, including boxing outgoing Summit X, unboxing Expressions, and enabling and calibrating optional bass eq.

Based on seven hours use, these seem to be a substantial step beyond Summit X.  The bass eq is significant.  I am certain further improvement will follow, but these sound excellent now.

Key factors--greater clarity, especially of inner voices or instrumental lines, greater sense of the venue, seem to be slightly more efficient than Summit X, tremendous bass extension. Imaging in my room is better than previous speakers.

Break in notes--acceptable sound out of the box, which becomes much better within two hours,and then further improves.

I will continue to report changes at approximately 20 hour intervals, or when warranted.

This is my fifth pair of ML electrostatics ( Monolith 1, Monolith 3, Summit, Summit X, Expression). If you have the system and the space, it might be hard to do better at the price point.
PS Audio P20 (2) and Power Bases (2), Aurender ACS10, Devialet 400, Martin Logan Neolith, Audioquest Wild & Diamond, Synergistic: Tranq  Base, FEQ, HFT, Black Box, Active Ground Block, Devialet Special Cords, Dedicated 20 amp circuits, Cryoed Romex.
(06-Jul-2016, 03:44)ralph411 Wrote:
(03-Jul-2016, 21:33)ralph411 Wrote: Martin Logan Expression, successor to the excellent Summit X, arrive on Tuesday.  Expression incorporates optional low frequency eq, which will be enabled.  I will post experiences during the set up and break in period.

Expressions installed today in a 4 hour process, including boxing outgoing Summit X, unboxing Expressions, and enabling and calibrating optional bass eq.

Based on seven hours use, these seem to be a substantial step beyond Summit X.  The bass eq is significant.  I am certain further improvement will follow, but these sound excellent now.

Key factors--greater clarity, especially of inner voices or instrumental lines, greater sense of the venue, seem to be slightly more efficient than Summit X, tremendous bass extension. Imaging in my room is better than previous speakers.

Break in notes--acceptable sound out of the box, which becomes much better within two hours,and then further improves.

I will continue to report changes at approximately 20 hour intervals, or when warranted.

This is my fifth pair of ML electrostatics ( Monolith 1, Monolith 3, Summit, Summit X, Expression). If you have the system and the space, it might be hard to do better at the price point.

Martin Logan Expression 20+ hours--

After 20+ hours the Expressions are breaking in in the usual ML electrostatic pattern.  Bass is more substantial, detailed, and subjectively faster.  There is more mid and treble detail and greater depth of image.

I expect this pattern to continue.  However, time will tell, and I will report accordingly after 40 hours.
(09-Jul-2016, 17:02)ralph411 Wrote:
(06-Jul-2016, 03:44)ralph411 Wrote:

After 20+ hours the Expressions are breaking in in the usual ML electrostatic pattern.  Bass is more substantial, detailed, and subjectively faster.  There is more mid and treble detail and greater depth of image.

I expect this pattern to continue.  However, time will tell, and I will report accordingly after 40 hours.

Martin Logan Expression 40+ hours--

At 40+ hours break in continues. The occasional incidents of scratchy highs are gone, bass is perceptually quicker, and there is more information about the size of the recording venue apparent.  Inner voices remain quite clear.  The speakers seem louder than their predecessors (Summit X), for a given volume setting.

Will report further at 60+ hours.
(12-Jul-2016, 22:27)ralph411 Wrote:
(09-Jul-2016, 17:02)ralph411 Wrote:
(06-Jul-2016, 03:44)ralph411 Wrote: Martin Logan Expression-Day 1

At 40+ hours break in continues. The occasional incidents of scratchy highs are gone, bass is perceptually quicker, and there is more information about the size of the recording venue apparent.  Inner voices remain quite clear.  The speakers seem louder than their predecessors (Summit X), for a given volume setting.

Martin Logan Expression 60+ hours--

At 60 + hours there are no anomalies in any aspect of the Expression's performance.  Bass is quick.  There is no apparent discontinuity between the woofers and the stators.  There is an excellent sense of the performance venue.  Instruments or singers locate clearly but without any sense of isolation.  Highs are clear.  The mids are superior in clarity and definition to the Summit X.

Will report further at 100+ hours unless there are significant developments prior to that time.
(14-Jul-2016, 00:34)ralph411 Wrote:
(12-Jul-2016, 22:27)ralph411 Wrote:
(09-Jul-2016, 17:02)ralph411 Wrote: Martin Logan Expression 20+ hours--

At 60 + hours there are no anomalies in any aspect of the Expression's performance.  Bass is quick.  There is no apparent discontinuity between the woofers and the stators.  There is an excellent sense of the performance venue.  Instruments or singers locate clearly but without any sense of isolation.  Highs are clear.  The mids are superior in clarity and definition to the Summit X.

Will report further at 100+ hours unless there are significant developments prior to that time.
   Martin Logan Expression 100+ hours--

Beyond 100 hours it is probable that the break in process is largely complete.  I have re-eqed the woofers, a process that took about 15 minutes, to account for expectable low frequency enhancement as woofer suspensions loosen somewhat. Highs are clear without in any way being overbearing.  Mids are detailed, and location of instruments or voices is clear and stable.  Everything is quick and realistic.

Summit X, which preceded the Expression, is an excellent speaker.  Expression takes the Summit X qualities to a higher level in all respects.  This is the best Martin Logan speaker yet in this form factor.
(17-Jul-2016, 17:44)ralph411 Wrote:
(14-Jul-2016, 00:34)ralph411 Wrote:
(12-Jul-2016, 22:27)ralph411 Wrote: Martin Logan Expression 40+ hours--

Martin Logan Expression 100+ hours--

Beyond 100 hours it is probable that the break in process is largely complete.  I have re-eqed the woofers, a process that took about 15 minutes, to account for expectable low frequency enhancement as woofer suspensions loosen somewhat. Highs are clear without in any way being overbearing.  Mids are detailed, and location of instruments or voices is clear and stable.  Everything is quick and realistic.

Summit X, which preceded the Expression, is an excellent speaker.  Expression takes the Summit X qualities to a higher level in all respects.  This is the best Martin Logan speaker yet in this form factor.
Excellent summary - thank you. I also have the Martin Logan Expression ESL 13A speakers, but with Devialet Expert 220 pro (vs. your 400). I love the bass and treble, but am struggling a bit with definition in the mid-range. Did you use SAM? If so, for which speakers (the Expressions aren't directly supported yet)? Any other thoughts about settings or positioning that you think might be helpful? Thanks!