Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A jaw dropping moment courtesy of Puritan
Puritan Audio Labs have been mentioned quite a few times here, mainly for their “power blocks”.  I invested in the 136 and thought it was an excellent product.  I then heard about the new 156 (OCD guy has a YouTube video and Stereo Times a review) so I thought for an extra £500 it was worth a listen (given I have an Aurender N10, Expert Pro 1000 and Magico A3 - a relatively low cost amount).  I got in touch with Mike Lester - designer and owner - who forwarded the item (returns not a problem if you don’t like it) along with a very strange looking power cable (a pale grey lightweight “snake”).

I initially replaced the 136 with the 156 using the original (and very good) cable retailing at £50 if I’m not mistaken.  A not subtle improvement in all matters HiFi - you know what I mean!  However, when I replaced the power cable with the “Ultimate” that is when my jaw dropped.   This cable retails at £450.  I don’t think I have ever been so astonished in my (very long) HiFi journey.  

I thought the slightly boomy bass I had was a consequence of my room (not being brave enough to try the Sweet Room programme), but it has gone - a tight, tight bass, deeper and wider soundstage, a sense of the room where it was recorded (I know I’m an old git and have been listening to it for nigh on 50 years but Amazing Grace by Judy Collins and THAT choir is a favourite.  Now you can sense the church it was recorded in even before she has started singing) I could go on but I’m no reviewer (as is obvious).  Voodoo Chile (slight return) - loud - just blown away.  I have put a link to an Audiogon forum discussion where the author compared an extremely high end cable (costing thousands) to the Ultimate.  A “high end” retailer I know has swapped all his (sometimes very expensive) power cables for the Ultimate.

And another thing for Devaliet owners - it fits!  I have subsequently traded in my more expensive cables powering the Experts for Ultimates.  This time they took a little while to warm up but more of the same.

Mike Lester is a pleasure to deal with (as are his retailers).  I’m just a very contented customer with no links to the company.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/puritan-vs-nordost-power-c
Great to hear about your improvements. What you describe is exactly what a better, more stable & shielded power cable & supply can do.
I have also been trying many power cables / solutions but got most excited about Audioquest Niagara 3000/5000.

It’s proven that in general the Devialet is very much appreciating improved power. So hope everyone will try out some way of tweaking it - the results are so amazing.
(11-Apr-2021, 20:27)Lincolnlad Wrote: Puritan Audio Labs have been mentioned quite a few times here, mainly for their “power blocks”.  I invested in the 136 and thought it was an excellent product.  I then heard about the new 156 (OCD guy has a YouTube video and Stereo Times a review) so I thought for an extra £500 it was worth a listen (given I have an Aurender N10, Expert Pro 1000 and Magico A3 - a relatively low cost amount).  I got in touch with Mike Lester - designer and owner - who forwarded the item (returns not a problem if you don’t like it) along with a very strange looking power cable (a pale grey lightweight “snake”).

I initially replaced the 136 with the 156 using the original (and very good) cable retailing at £50 if I’m not mistaken.  A not subtle improvement in all matters HiFi - you know what I mean!  However, when I replaced the power cable with the “Ultimate” that is when my jaw dropped.   This cable retails at £450.  I don’t think I have ever been so astonished in my (very long) HiFi journey.  

I thought the slightly boomy bass I had was a consequence of my room (not being brave enough to try the Sweet Room programme), but it has gone - a tight, tight bass, deeper and wider soundstage, a sense of the room where it was recorded (I know I’m an old git and have been listening to it for nigh on 50 years but Amazing Grace by Judy Collins and THAT choir is a favourite.  Now you can sense the church it was recorded in even before she has started singing) I could go on but I’m no reviewer (as is obvious).  Voodoo Chile (slight return) - loud - just blown away.  I have put a link to an Audiogon forum discussion where the author compared an extremely high end cable (costing thousands) to the Ultimate.  A “high end” retailer I know has swapped all his (sometimes very expensive) power cables for the Ultimate.

And another thing for Devaliet owners - it fits!  I have subsequently traded in my more expensive cables powering the Experts for Ultimates.  This time they took a little while to warm up but more of the same.

Mike Lester is a pleasure to deal with (as are his retailers).  I’m just a very contented customer with no links to the company.

Just replaced expensive Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + cables with Puritan PM156 + Ultimate cables. 

Both do an excellent job, but Puritan is 25% the price of Shunyata and a lot more practical, the PM156 is less than half the size, and Shunyata's long thick cables are a real nuisance in a small cabinet. 

Before changing the conditioner, changing the cable from the A10 to the Expert from a Shunyata Delta to Puritan Ultimate was a notable improvement.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(04-Dec-2022, 20:53)ssfas Wrote:
(11-Apr-2021, 20:27)Lincolnlad Wrote: Puritan Audio Labs have been mentioned quite a few times here, mainly for their “power blocks”.  I invested in the 136 and thought it was an excellent product.  I then heard about the new 156 (OCD guy has a YouTube video and Stereo Times a review) so I thought for an extra £500 it was worth a listen (given I have an Aurender N10, Expert Pro 1000 and Magico A3 - a relatively low cost amount).  I got in touch with Mike Lester - designer and owner - who forwarded the item (returns not a problem if you don’t like it) along with a very strange looking power cable (a pale grey lightweight “snake”).

Just replaced expensive Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + cables with Puritan PM156 + Ultimate cables. 

Both do an excellent job, but Puritan is 25% the price of Shunyata and a lot more practical, the PM156 is less than half the size, and Shunyata's long thick cables are a real nuisance in a small cabinet. 

Before changing the conditioner, changing the cable from the A10 to the Expert from a Shunyata Delta to Puritan Ultimate was a notable improvement.

I would also recommend you look at their very inexpensive "Ground Master" and "Route Master". I've these devices in my setup that they TRULY do their job super well. Furthermore, Mike Lester is a wonderful gentleman to deal with.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US