Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You couldn't make it up!
I have been streaming effortlessly for the past few months from my Win 10 NUC via Roon to my D200. My library is on a Synology NAS. Yesterday for some crazy reason I decided to upgrade AIR to the latest beta version which ironically is supposed to combat white noise, yes you guessed it folks, I am now experiencing the Devialet curse. I wouldn't care but I don't use WiFi all my connections are via Ethernet so it is very strange. I have often wondered what this white noise phenomenon was, having never ever experienced it, well now I know!
Devialet of course just tell me that win 10 is not supported, so in other words, hard luck. Ah well time to re install the original version.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
Yep - doesn't matter if you use wi-fi, ethernet or whatever. My understanding is there's two issues - poor wi-fi performance from the wi-fi card which can lead to lots of dropouts unless you site the access point very close to the Devialet, and the white noise/dropout/etc. issue which is a software issue, often claimed by Devialet to be due to an OS (timer?) issue on Windows though it does also happen on Mac too, though less frequently in my own experience.
Gone back to original version of AIR and now playing faultlessly. Which goes to prove that time old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
(14-Jul-2016, 19:10)misterpete Wrote: Gone back to original version of AIR and now playing faultlessly. Which goes to prove that time old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Glad you managed to go back to the older version and make it work. Some times that is not even possible with Windows!
For the record; can you specify which versions?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(14-Jul-2016, 19:57)ogs Wrote:
(14-Jul-2016, 19:10)misterpete Wrote: Gone back to original version of AIR and now playing faultlessly. Which goes to prove that time old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Glad you managed to go back to the older version and make it work. Some times that is not even possible with Windows!

This reminds me of the Confused adage 'the only genuinely predicable thing about AIR is that it is totally unpredictable'.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(14-Jul-2016, 19:57)ogs Wrote:

Yes, gone back to AIR 2.1.3 after trying 2.1.4 beta. Still with Win 10. I still find it strange that the beta version was brought out to eliminate white noise but does just the opposite for me. I just look forward to the day they bring out proper support for Win 10.
I can confirm the 2.1.4 beta doesn't work well on Windows 10. But also with the 2.1.3 version i do have the white noise after hours of continuous playing, about 5 hours or more... To my experience however this isn't stable in its instability even. When i turn off my hifi pc for a few days and then on again i get often numerous blue screens caused by air before it even functions again more or less...
Annoying, to say the least...
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
I use an iMac normally for streamed music. The one time I heard the "white noise", it sounded more like a pulse jet to me so maybe not the same thing, was after i updated OSX (from OSX 10.9 >10.10 iirc). I didn't persist but just went back to the previous configuration and all was well. The next update to OSX 10.11 was done with much trepidation, since it broke my mail system on my main computer, but was without problem with AIR.
The only problem with AIR 3beta for me is that it doesn't switch sample rate to match the file being played in iTunes and bitperfect, which does, is not stable.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have been fortunate with AIR 3 on the Mac as I use it with Roon and it is able to seamlessly switch sample rates. And the occasionally micro second dropouts I got about once every other day ( never got white noise with AIR 3 unlike previous attempts on both Mac and Windows with various AIR versions) are no longer there once I switched routers from an Apple Extreme to a Asus AC1900P. Which is odd as I am using ethernet connections for the NAS, Mac Mini running RoonServer and the Devialet 400.

I do wish it could support DSD without my having to convert to PCM in Roon, as it did under the Windows AIR versions.

Regardless time marches on....
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US