Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet Setup with router and Windows 10
(20-Jul-2016, 01:38)Jimmy Giessler Wrote:
(19-Jul-2016, 00:08)misterpete Wrote: I have the same setup as you with a win10 machine served by a Synology NAS. Roon core is on the PC as is AIR. Does the Devialet show on the main Roon page as the audio device and have you set it to play using Wasapi? This may seem silly but you a re selecting the Ethernet input and not the WiFi?
If your problem is with AIR then it would not show as your player. Mine works fine but I can't alter any settings on the PC as the little black Devialet icon disappears if I click on it. Devialet are no help at all, all they will tell you is that at the moment they don't support Win 10.
I hope you get it to work, it's worth it!

yes I have set it up to play using wasapi.
I am selecting my Devialet  Air as my input in the roon
I'm not sure what you mean by selecting the ethernet input and not the WIFI. In my Devialet  configuration file I have configured Devialet  air to use a fixed IP address.
I have tried turning off DHCP.
Roon acts like it's playing a song – but there is no sound.

Have I understood you correctly – you are using Roon with Windows 10?
Are you using DHCP or fixed IP addresses?
is your amplifier connected directly to your PC or are you going through a router?

THANKS!
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, sorry for the delay! In you configurator you have the choice of enabling Ethernet or WiFi, I just have Ethernet enabled with DHCP. Roon core is on the PC, my Music library is on the Synology. The PC , NAS and Devialet are all connected through a gigabit switch which in turn is connected to a router. If you can see the Devialet in your Roon audio settings the AIR is working properly. You can obviously access your library if Roon acts like it is playing and AIR must be configured if you can see The Devialet in Roon so quite frankly I am perplexed. It might be worth your while accessing the Roon forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable guys there. Good luck.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
(24-Jul-2016, 00:31)thumb5 Wrote: When the amplifier's running, it broadcasts a regular message on the local subnet which AIR uses to discover it.  So AIR doesn't need to know the amplifier's IP address in advance.

Actually, that might be a useful diagnostic: if your router has an activity LED for the port the Devialet's conneected to, it should be showing what looks like continuous traffic once the amplifier's switched on (actually 5 packets per second, if I remember correctly).  This should be the case whether or not AIR is running on the computer.

However, I expect the problem is more likely to be on the computer.  I know this sounds like a stalling suggestion, but have you tried un-installing and re-installing AIR?  If there is no sign of the icon in the system tray, it sounds like something is amiss.

thanks for the explanation. The routers LED for the amplifier is green. Not sure how to determine how much data is being passed through. I took a look at the performance tab on the task manager. Can't really tell much; nothing is being uploaded, 24 kb per second is being downloaded – from where I don't know. Kind of makes me wonder. :-)

I think you and Confused (the fellow with the next post) are absolutely correct. There must be a problem with my installation of Air. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it in the past. But I am getting no icon in my taskbar thingy. There's got to be a problem with my installation. I am going to give it a try again shortly.
I'm trying to think why it wouldn't install correctly... Is this a domestic PC, or not for instance a work PC where you might have reduced privileges or some group policies in place that might somehow interfere with the install? Also wondering if it's definitely being installed under a user account with administrator privileges? Worth checking in the list of installed programs in control panel to check it's actually in the list of installed programs.

I think Devialet use a pretty standard program installer for AIR so all this seems unlikely but you never know.

If all else fails it might be worth making sure AIR is uninstalled and using something like CCleaner to make sure unwanted registry entries are removed, run the clean several times to ensure dependent registry entries that didn't show up the first time are also cleaned, then reboot, then install AIR again.   Be careful installing CCleaner if you haven't done it before as it does encourage you to install other software (Google Chrome I think usually).  Also worth taking a backup (a system restore point or registry backup option is offered by CCleaner I think, before running the registry clean) as it can be a little risky.
(24-Jul-2016, 17:23)misterpete Wrote:
(20-Jul-2016, 01:38)Jimmy Giessler Wrote:
(19-Jul-2016, 00:08)misterpete Wrote: I have the same setup as you with a win10 machine served by a Synology NAS. Roon core is on the PC as is AIR. Does the Devialet show on the main Roon page as the audio device and have you set it to play using Wasapi? This may seem silly but you a re selecting the Ethernet input and not the WiFi?
If your problem is with AIR then it would not show as your player. Mine works fine but I can't alter any settings on the PC as the little black Devialet icon disappears if I click on it. Devialet are no help at all, all they will tell you is that at the moment they don't support Win 10.
I hope you get it to work, it's worth it!

yes I have set it up to play using wasapi.
I'm not sure what you mean by selecting the ethernet input and not the WIFI. In my Devialet  configuration file I have configured Devialet  air to use a fixed IP address.

is your amplifier connected directly to your PC or are you going through a router?

THANKS!
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, sorry for the delay! In you configurator you have the choice of enabling Ethernet or WiFi, I just have Ethernet enabled with DHCP. Roon core is on the PC, my Music library is on the Synology. The PC , NAS and Devialet are all connected through a gigabit switch which in turn is connected to a router. If you can see the Devialet in your Roon audio settings the AIR is working properly. You can obviously access your library if Roon acts like it is playing and AIR must be configured if you can see The Devialet in Roon so quite frankly I am perplexed. It might be worth your while accessing the Roon forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable guys there. Good luck.

as a bit of extra info. My devialet icon disappears when ever I try to click on it, I also get messages on screen telling me that AIR can't be started because I am missing various Qt5 files and yet it all works! go figure. It's all to do with Win 10, so lets hope the new version of AIR arrives soon.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
(24-Jul-2016, 20:26)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm trying to think why it wouldn't install correctly... Is this a domestic PC, or not for instance a work PC where you might have reduced privileges or some group policies in place that might somehow interfere with the install? Also wondering if it's definitely being installed under a user account with administrator privileges? Worth checking in the list of installed programs in control panel to check it's actually in the list of installed programs.

I think Devialet use a pretty standard program installer for AIR so all this seems unlikely but you never know.

If all else fails it might be worth making sure AIR is uninstalled and using something like CCleaner to make sure unwanted registry entries are removed, run the clean several times to ensure dependent registry entries that didn't show up the first time are also cleaned, then reboot, then install AIR again.   Be careful installing CCleaner if you haven't done it before as it does encourage you to install other software (Google Chrome I think usually).  Also worth taking a backup (a system restore point or registry backup option is offered by CCleaner I think, before running the registry clean) as it can be a little risky.

YEEHAH! I uninstalled AIR, ran CCleaner several times, rebooted and installed AIR. The Devialet  icon appeared in the system tray. I clicked on it, and set it from Disabled to Ethernet. I tested it both with foobar 2000 and Roon successfully. Thank you so much for your help! And a big THANKS to everyone who has taken the time to help me through this issue. You guys are the bomb!
(25-Jul-2016, 15:39)misterpete Wrote:
(24-Jul-2016, 17:23)misterpete Wrote:
(20-Jul-2016, 01:38)Jimmy Giessler Wrote: yes I have set it up to play using wasapi.

THANKS!
Jimmy

as a bit of extra info. My devialet icon disappears when ever I try to click on it, I also get messages on screen telling me that AIR can't be started because I am missing various Qt5 files and yet it all works! go figure. It's all to do with Win 10, so lets hope the new version of AIR arrives soon.

I'm guessing that you can see my reply below. I'm new to blogging. Any who – I wanted to thank you for taking the time to research my issue!
(24-Jul-2016, 19:43)Jimmy Giessler Wrote:
(24-Jul-2016, 00:31)thumb5 Wrote: When the amplifier's running, it broadcasts a regular message on the local subnet which AIR uses to discover it.  So AIR doesn't need to know the amplifier's IP address in advance.

Actually, that might be a useful diagnostic: if your router has an activity LED for the port the Devialet's conneected to, it should be showing what looks like continuous traffic once the amplifier's switched on (actually 5 packets per second, if I remember correctly).  This should be the case whether or not AIR is running on the computer.

However, I expect the problem is more likely to be on the computer.  I know this sounds like a stalling suggestion, but have you tried un-installing and re-installing AIR?  If there is no sign of the icon in the system tray, it sounds like something is amiss.

thanks for the explanation. The routers LED for the amplifier is green. Not sure how to determine how much data is being passed through. I took a look at the performance tab on the task manager. Can't really tell much; nothing is being uploaded, 24 kb per second is being downloaded – from where I don't know. Kind of makes me wonder. :-)

I think you and Confused (the fellow with the next post) are absolutely correct. There must be a problem with my installation of Air. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it in the past. But I am getting no icon in my taskbar thingy. There's got to be a problem with my installation. I am going to give it a try again shortly.

you were correct – it was a problem with the installation of AIR. See below. Thanks for all your help!
Jimmy - good to hear that you've got it up and running! Thanks for letting us know.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Jimmy

I happy you have it all working  Big Grin

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

It's interesting, with Windows 10 I've noticed a few times a program might seem to install partially, behave oddly, and then not seem to reinstall correctly unless making sure the registry is cleaned again. I've never seen this with older Windows versions. Could be some incompatibility with some program installers?