Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom duo and Nas?
(22-Jul-2016, 03:03)stevec Wrote:
(21-Jul-2016, 22:51)streamy Wrote: A raspberryPI with a Hifiberry Digi+ card and Moodeplayer software will do the same as a streamer for less than 80€. Plays 24/192k files without hickups served from a NAS. You can even install FIR convolution filter for room correction using brutefir. All fed into the Phantom through optical input. Works like a charm!
+1

You are on the right track. Your NAS can definitely be used and stay in the basement.
I have the RPi and Digi+ and works very well. I run Roon on my NAS but your iMac would be fine as you need a powerful NAS.
Alternatively you can get the Soniorbiter SE if you don't want to the RPi which is a bit DIY. It has options to use DLNA ,Roon or Squeezebox etc.
Depending on your NAS there is music server software you can install and run on it like Logitech Media Server.

Thanks again for your help, but I must confess I am a little bit confused: what would be the simplest setup to stream from my NAS (Synology) to the Dialog?

If I undesrtand you correctly, I need a thirdparty box between the NAS and the dialog, and connect to the later with an optical cable, is that right? In such a setup, does the iMac remains necessary in the chain?
I use aurilac Aries works perfectly, is also roon ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(22-Jul-2016, 16:03)davidadamson Wrote: I use aurilac Aries works perfectly, is also roon ready

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "roon"?  Blush
(22-Jul-2016, 15:26)ZeDuke Wrote:
(22-Jul-2016, 03:03)stevec Wrote:
(21-Jul-2016, 22:51)streamy Wrote: A raspberryPI with a Hifiberry Digi+ card and Moodeplayer software will do the same as a streamer for less than 80€. Plays 24/192k files without hickups served from a NAS. You can even install FIR convolution filter for room correction using brutefir. All fed into the Phantom through optical input. Works like a charm!
+1

You are on the right track. Your NAS can definitely be used and stay in the basement.
I have the RPi and Digi+ and works very well. I run Roon on my NAS but your iMac would be fine as you need a powerful NAS.
Alternatively you can get the Soniorbiter SE if you don't want to the RPi which is a bit DIY. It has options to use DLNA ,Roon or Squeezebox etc.
Depending on your NAS there is music server software you can install and run on it like Logitech Media Server.

Thanks again for your help, but I must confess I am a little bit confused: what would be the simplest setup to stream from my NAS (Synology) to the Dialog?

If I undesrtand you correctly, I need a thirdparty box between the NAS and the dialog, and connect to the later with an optical cable, is that right? In such a setup, does the iMac remains necessary in the chain?

When you have an iMac that runs Spark on it and have a Dialog you do not need a third party box. You can mount your NAS on the iMac and then add the NAS as path in Spark to access your files and use Spark to play the files. As an alternative to can use a third party device that is either connected to Dialog or a Phantom with optical cable. With the current latest Dialog firmware there is a bug such that the optical input of the Dialog does not work without noise from time to time, but the optical of the Phantoms work well. So use those for the moment.
I presented RPi and MoOdeplayer as alternative because like this you do not need to have a PC or Mac running all the time. And the MoOdeplayer can be remotely controlled through a web interface from any smartphone or tablet or you can install any MPD software to control the player. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon
This is a convenient option.
(22-Jul-2016, 16:54)streamy Wrote:
(22-Jul-2016, 15:26)ZeDuke Wrote:
(22-Jul-2016, 03:03)stevec Wrote: +1

When you have an iMac that runs Spark on it and have a Dialog you do not need a third party box. You can mount your NAS on the iMac and then add the NAS as path in Spark to access your files and use Spark to play the files. As an alternative to can use a third party device that is either connected to Dialog or a Phantom with optical cable. With the current latest Dialog firmware there is a bug such that the optical input of the Dialog does not work without noise from time to time, but the optical of the Phantoms work well. So use those for the moment.
I presented RPi and MoOdeplayer as alternative because like this you do not need to have a PC or Mac running all the time. And the MoOdeplayer can be remotely controlled through a web interface from any smartphone or tablet or you can install any MPD software to control the player. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon
This is a convenient option.

Ok, the first solution sounds less expensive too me. I don't mind having my iMac on to be able to play music. But the problem I have is that my iMac is upstairs, pretty far away from my living room. So is it possible to remotely control Spark on it?

Also, with that solution, can I stream some 24 bits / 192 Khz tracks?
As long as Spark is running on your Mac, the Spark app on your phone will see the files. Yes, you can stream 24/192.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(22-Jul-2016, 18:34)ragwo Wrote: As long as Spark is running on your Mac, the Spark app on your phone will see the files. Yes, you can stream 24/192.

Ok, sounds like a VERY good news! ? Many thanks!

And you confirm that as long as my iMac is on, and visible on the ethernet network by the dialog (though in two different rooms), I won't have any problem ?
I have no problems with a similar setup Smile
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(22-Jul-2016, 18:46)ragwo Wrote: I have no problems with a similar setup Smile

Ok, it will then be very hard for me not to order them...  Big Grin Big Grin  Big Grin

Thanks again for your precious help!
(22-Jul-2016, 16:41)ZeDuke Wrote:
(22-Jul-2016, 16:03)davidadamson Wrote: I use aurilac Aries works perfectly, is also roon ready

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "roon"?  Blush

Here's a link to the Roon thread. Coincidentally started by davidadamson!
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1213
Edit. Oh, and welcome!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England