Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom duo and Nas?
I have two more questions for you gentlemen:

- I will have two sources to feed my Phantoms: my TV (though its toslink output) and more importantly, my music stored on my NAS, which I could play whether through Spark (thanks to the very clear setup kindly explained to me by streamy and ragwo) or through the optical output of my Logitech Transporter. In the later case, is it possible to have one toslink input on one Phantom, and a second one on the other Phantom? And in the affirmative, how can I switch from one to another)?

- My two Phantoms (and the Dialog) will be in a medium sized living room. I would like to know if there are any benefits to have the Phantoms connected to Ethernet in terms of Sound Quality? Or is the wifi network created by the Dialog good and reliable enough?

Many thanks in advance for this second round of questions... Smile
Just buy an optical switch which will allow you to switch between the 2 sources. I have one but they dont like big chunky heavy duty Toslink cables. Best stick to the skinny ones.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(27-Jul-2016, 23:08)ZeDuke Wrote: In the later case, is it possible to have one toslink input on one Phantom, and a second one on the other Phantom? And in the affirmative, how can I switch from one to another)?

No problem with this, you can easily switch through spark (they will act as two separate local sources).
Plus, if the signals are not always on, the Phantoms will automatically switch to the one which just started transmitting.

Please note that the volume always resets to 35 when the source changes (be it manually or automatically).

(27-Jul-2016, 23:08)ZeDuke Wrote: - My two Phantoms (and the Dialog) will be in a medium sized living room. I would like to know if there are any benefits to have the Phantoms connected to Ethernet in terms of Sound Quality? Or is the wifi network created by the Dialog good and reliable enough?

The WiFi or PLC networks seems to work well, provided that your electrical installation is fine or that WiFi channels are not overcrowded where you live.

I have mine wired via Ethernet though, their location makes it convenient and I usually wire anything that is not going to move often.
(28-Jul-2016, 00:34)EvPa Wrote:
(27-Jul-2016, 23:08)ZeDuke Wrote: In the later case, is it possible to have one toslink input on one Phantom, and a second one on the other Phantom? And in the affirmative, how can I switch from one to another)?

No problem with this, you can easily switch through spark (they will act as two separate local sources).
Plus, if the signals are not always on, the Phantoms will automatically switch to the one which just started transmitting.

Please note that the volume always resets to 35 when the source changes (be it manually or automatically).

(27-Jul-2016, 23:08)ZeDuke Wrote: - My two Phantoms (and the Dialog) will be in a medium sized living room. I would like to know if there are any benefits to have the Phantoms connected to Ethernet in terms of Sound Quality? Or is the wifi network created by the Dialog good and reliable enough?

The WiFi or PLC networks seems to work well, provided that your electrical installation is fine or that WiFi channels are not overcrowded where you live.

I have mine wired via Ethernet though, their location makes it convenient and I usually wire anything that is not going to move often.

Many thanks for those crystal clear answers!
I have a related question. My music is on a Synology NAS. I recently changed to an iMac. When it goes to sleep, Spark on my iPad can no longer see this library. Even if I am playing an album the iMac will still go to sleep. The music keeps playing but all the track names etc disappear? I suppose there is no way to bypass the iMac and play off the NAS?
(04-Dec-2016, 01:40)stevec Wrote: I have a related question. My music is on a Synology NAS. I recently changed to an iMac. When it goes to sleep, Spark on my iPad can no longer see this library. Even if I am playing an album the iMac will still go to sleep. The music keeps playing but all the track names etc disappear? I suppose there is no way to bypass the iMac and play off the NAS?

Why not set the Mac to wake on receiving a signal from your LAN? 
To do this: 
  1. Open System Preferences from the  Apple menu and go to “Energy Saver” control panel

2. Go to the “Power Adapter” tab and check the box for “Wake for Wi-Fi network access” (may be “Wake for network access” if device has multiple networking options) – this enables Wake On LAN in OS X
This might provide a suitable workaround.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Good suggestion but that Wake feature was already selected. I don't think the Spark app can wake up the iMac. I think I know why I am still using Roon.