Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
MC22 removes whitenoise
I've no intention to start a discussion but I feel like I have something to share with you. Maybe you'll give this a try also and get as satisfied as I am at this moment.

I've always considered the SQ of Air to be a bit better as USB. But also in my setup white noise prevented me from using Air, I used USB (Audioquest) instead.

I always use(d) J River on my dedicated i5/4Gb WinTel laptop running Windows 10, a not-spectacular setup. I also run Fidelizer to disable all kinds of services/settings that are of no need for an audio server. Everything to drive my Devialet 400.

A few days ago I've upgraded my MC21 to MC22. MC22 has a new feature "Play from memory" (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p...c=105994.0). I've enabled this feature and ever since I play my D400s using Air (2.1.3 wired) without a drop or white noise. I've played a mix of music varying from 16/44.1 to 24/192 without a glitch.

When I look at the taskmanager I see zero I/Os except for the moment I select an other track/album. I'm not a Windows guru (zOS is my cup of tea) but no I/Os means less interrupts that the Windows OS has to handle which probably adds to the stability of Air.

Are there no cons? I've only noticed one though for me it's a small one. When you start/change a track/album it takes J River 2-3 seconds to populate the chosen music into memory. The time this takes is very dependent on your hardware, 2-3 seconds is a figure for my setup.

Kind regards,
Jan
UJantje BEtonI've no intention to start a discussion but I feel like I have something to share with you. Maybe you'll give this a try also and get as satisfied as I am at this moment.

I've always considered the SQ of Air to be a bit better as USB. But also in my setup white noise prevented me from using Air, I used USB (Audioquest) instead.

I always use(d) J River on my dedicated i5/4Gb WinTel laptop running Windows 10, a not-spectacular setup. I also run Fidelizer to disable all kinds of services/settings that are of no need for an audio server. Everything to drive my Devialet 400.

A few days ago I've upgraded my MC21 to MC22. MC22 has a new feature "Play from memory" (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p...c=105994.0). I've enabled this feature and ever since I play my D400s using Air (2.1.3 wired) without a drop or white noise. I've played a mix of music varying from 16/44.1 to 24/192 without a glitch.

When I look at the taskmanager I see zero I/Os except for the moment I select an other track/album. I'm not a Windows guru (zOS is my cup of tea) but no I/Os means less interrupts that the Windows OS has to handle which probably adds to the stability of Air.

Are there no cons? I've only noticed one though for me it's a small one. When you start/change a track/album it takes J River 2-3 seconds to populate the chosen music into memory. The time this takes is very dependent on your hardware, 2-3 seconds is a figure for my setup.

Kind regards,
Jan
__________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to DC, Jan! Smile
Jriver sent me an email saying that one of the new features of MC22 was the ability to play whole albums from memory.  I haven't upgraded to 22 yet, but from what you say, it sounds worth it.
I'm waiting hopefully for QNAP to enable me to use 22 on my NAS.  Trouble is, that the NAS only has 2GB of memory, and it's not upgradable. It will hold a FLAC album, but not some DSD ones. I wonder if it has to load the whole album, or whether it deletes played and loads unplayed tracks as it goes.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England