Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet - direct NAS connection
Dear All,

Anyone successfuly connected NAS directly to Devialet? 
(https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...from-a-NAS)

I have Synology DS115 NAS, which is ready for direct streaming to DA converter via USB A-B (2.0, 3.0) link. 
Syn. has its own audio control app - Audio Station - that can send bit-perfect signal stright to your audio device. 
I have tried to do that, unfortunately in vain. I even do not know whether the signal does not go out of NAS (unlikely to happen) or Dev. does not accept/detect it.

What could be the reason? 
Does Synology need a dedicated USB driver, or something like that?

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions,

Mike
I have tried my Synology NAS to Devialet USB and that worked without any problems so I have no answer to what might be wrong with your system.

Skickat från min E6653 via Tapatalk
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(26-Jul-2016, 14:44)octaviars Wrote: I have tried my Synology NAS to Devialet USB and that worked without any problems so I have no answer to what might be wrong with your system.

Thanks for the comment - not quite revealing Smile  but valuable for me (it shows it works).

Can you provide some more info regarding the connection:
1. What type of Syn NAS do you have?
2. Did you change the settings of AudioStattion?,
3. How did you control the playback - PC, Mac, Iphone - remote app?,
4. Did you change the settings of Dev somehow?
5. How do you assess this connection (quality of sound vs. Air or PC USB)?

Thanks, Mike
(26-Jul-2016, 15:20)MIKE Wrote:
(26-Jul-2016, 14:44)octaviars Wrote: I have tried my Synology NAS to Devialet USB and that worked without any problems so I have no answer to what might be wrong with your system.

Thanks for the comment - not quite revealing Smile  but valuable for me (it shows it works).

Can you provide some more info regarding the connection:
1. What type of Syn NAS do you have?
2. Did you change the settings of AudioStattion?,
3. How did you control the playback - PC, Mac, Iphone - remote app?,
4. Did you change the settings of Dev somehow?
5. How do you assess this connection (quality of sound vs. Air or PC USB)?

Thanks, Mike

1. DS 216
2. As I can recall I did not change anything.
3. I used the DS audio app on my Android phone
4. No changes to the USB in the Dev.
5. So long ago I tried it so I cant really remember the sound compared to other connections and it was just a test.

Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

I can try it again later tonight as I dont use USB right now and see if I have to change anything to get it playing.

Second system

I've never actually tried direct from a NAS but if it's running a fairly typical Linux variant I'm wondering whether it outputs sound on all USB outputs or whether it's limited to a particular one by default?  Might be worth trying different USB connectors on the NAS to see if you get anything from a particular one.   The NAS is fairly likely to be using ALSA drivers (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adv...chitecture).

The Devialet is USB 2.0 I believe but the NAS should negotiate properly.  If there's an option to hard-code the NAS output to USB 2.0 that might be worth a try.
(26-Jul-2016, 17:25)octaviars Wrote: I can try it again later tonight as I dont use USB right now and see if I have to change anything to get it playing.

Thank you, Octaviars, for your comments and commitment.
I look forward to hearing from you. 
Mike
(26-Jul-2016, 18:02)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I've never actually tried direct from a NAS but if it's running a fairly typical Linux variant I'm wondering whether it outputs sound on all USB outputs or whether it's limited to a particular one by default?  Might be worth trying different USB connectors on the NAS to see if you get anything from a particular one.   The NAS is fairly likely to be using ALSA drivers (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adv...chitecture).

The Devialet is USB 2.0 I believe but the NAS should negotiate properly.  If there's an option to hard-code the NAS output to USB 2.0 that might be worth a try.

Hi Rufus,

Thanks for the response.
There are 2 USB outputs in Syn ds115 (1X2.0, 1X3.0) and I've already tried both.
I will try to upload a USB driver - hopefully it will help. 

Reg, Mike
I have a DS215j and as far as i know the USB connections on the rear are solely for adding extra expansion HDDs for more storage.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Here's another possibility - the user Audio Station is running under may not have sufficient permissions to access the audio device driver.
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=91151