Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Yet Another New Product Launch
(28-Jul-2016, 00:22)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Something in the UK water guys? Mad cow decease all over again?

I think there might be something in the water in the UK .....

In fact, I shall immediately stop adding it to my whisky, see if that helps. Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(28-Jul-2016, 08:55)Confused Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 00:22)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Something in the UK water guys? Mad cow decease all over again?

In fact, I shall immediately stop adding it to my whisky, see if that helps. Sad

Definitely NEVER add water to your whiskey. No matter what's in the water.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(28-Jul-2016, 10:01)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Definitely NEVER add water to your whiskey. No matter what's in the water.

Homeopathic amounts of water are acceptable, if it's cask strength whisky.  I have no opinion on what to do with whiskey.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(28-Jul-2016, 10:01)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 08:55)Confused Wrote:

Do you only drink Irish Whiskey???

Actually adding a small amount of water actually helps open up most whisky's Adding Water to Whisky

Was at a Master Whisky tasting event and the subject came up about adding water, etc. The Master Whisky Taster said it was all to each others taste if you want to add water and how much. He did say that adding ice cools down the whisky so that's the only reason not to add ice (always best to have Whisky and water at room temperature), but if going to put Coke, etc. into it just buy the cheap rubbish and get drunk (big laugh at this). The only correct answer he gave was if you want to add anything to whisky it's - add more Whisky Big Grin

Going of track here, but I have one or two whisky's in my collection (at least 300+ individual bottles, not counting double up's) - don't get my wife started as it's all round the house (in the kitchen cupboards, pantry, linen cupboard, storeroom, etc.)

Me after drinking a good Whisky Big Grin , me after drinking a lot of good Whisky  Tongue
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(28-Jul-2016, 11:51)Celts88 Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 10:01)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 08:55)Confused Wrote: I think there might be something in the water in the UK .....

Actually adding a small amount of water actually helps open up most whisky's Adding Water to Whisky

Was at a Master Whisky tasting event and the subject came up about adding water, etc. The Master Whisky Taster said it was all to each others taste if you want to add water and how much. He did say that adding ice cools down the whisky so that's the only reason not to add ice (always best to have Whisky and water at room temperature), but if going to put Coke, etc. into it just buy the cheap rubbish and get drunk (big laugh at this). The only correct answer he gave was if you want to add anything to whisky it's - add more Whisky Big Grin

Going of track here, but I have one or two whisky's in my collection (at least 300+ individual bottles, not counting double up's) - don't get my wife started as it's all round the house (in the kitchen cupboards, pantry, linen cupboard, storeroom, etc.)

Me after drinking a good Whisky Big Grin , me after drinking a lot of good Whisky  Tongue

This is the best thread ever ! 
Does Air improve after "a lot of good Whisky" ?
I know a small quantity of water is conceivable in a whisky but I do prefer having two glasses, the water being on the side.
Cheers !
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
(28-Jul-2016, 13:02)Bruno Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 11:51)Celts88 Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 10:01)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Definitely NEVER add water to your whiskey. No matter what's in the water.

This is the best thread ever ! 
Does Air improve after "a lot of good Whisky" ?
I know a small quantity of water is conceivable in a whisky but I do prefer having two glasses, the water being on the side.
Cheers !

Everything (appears to) improve after a lot of good 'Uisge Beatha' (maybe the better half would say otherwise Rolleyes )

I've a few small water jugs that sit beside my whisky so I can top up when I want to - sometimes in the mood for straight, other times a wee dash of water in my dram to open it up.

Slàinte Mhath !!!
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Póg mo thóin :-)
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
I love how this has turned in to a whisky thread!
My two favourite things.
Listening to music and drinking whisky!
My Glencairn glass is always within reach from my chair!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Aye, ye cannae beat a Glenmorangie beside ye in a wee hip flask.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
I think this thread may be drifting of topic? If it every really had a topic. Anyway, to be honest I am not a great lover of whisky, but not adverse either, if I was going for a glass of 'the cheap stuff', it would probably select an 'Isle of Jura' single malt. One point to correct, Bruno questions if AIR improves after "a lot of good Whisky". I have tested this in principle, and can confirm that sound quality improves significantly, maybe equivalent to adding £15,000 worth of kit. (which makes a decent bottle of Jura an absolute bargain) It's not that simple though, because I have found that if something goes wrong with a reasonably complex computer audio streaming system whilst at the 'wrong end of the bottle', you've got sod all chance of fixing it! Possibly a higher chance of ruining your computer for ever and deleting lots of metadata. You could of course opt for vinyl, just be careful with that £2000 stylus once on the second or third bottle.

To be honest, I only mentioned whisky because it formed the best joke following Pim's something in the water quip. So to continue the drift off topic, I have to say that I much prefer a decent red wine. Curiously, although I have a preference for French amplifiers, I'd go for 'new world' for wine in preference for the offerings from France. Although I do like Fronsac very much, but you hardly ever find it in the UK, occasionally in a supermarket, almost never in a restaurant. I first discovered it after it was chosen by a part Italian colleague in a restaurant in Dunkerque. A humble little restaurant, but the food was absolutely exceptional. It's not just amps that the French are good at! I would take a Californian Merlot though over very many French wines, but with Brexit and the UK pounds shift against the dollar, it might be cost effective to go old world for a while.

I wonder which forum thread in the entire history of world went the most off topic? Or had the most random rambling nonsense in it? I do worry about these things......
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12