Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
New streamerboard, what functions do we want?
(28-Jul-2016, 16:16)octaviars Wrote: I think they were talking to Roon if I remember right from the Oxord audio show.

Maybe they should tell roon that .

On a positive note if they have fixed air (looking good for me so far today) then the need for a updated streamer board goes way down in my opinion, though if well done it would be welcome.  But it has to be really well done, and rock solid or it's pointless.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(28-Jul-2016, 17:05)Soniclife Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 16:16)octaviars Wrote: I think they were talking to Roon if I remember right from the Oxord audio show.

Maybe they should tell roon that .

On a positive note if they have fixed air (looking good for me so far today) then the need for a updated streamer board goes way down in my opinion, though if well done it would be welcome.  But it has to be really well done, and rock solid or it's pointless.

Agree wholeheartedly!
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(28-Jul-2016, 13:20)AllenB Wrote: It is quite perplexing how a measly little Raspberry Pi can do Roonbridge, yet something that in practice, should be able to stream AIR, yet there is no inkling that Devialet will adopt even RoonBridge.

I believe Roons core code for RoonBridge and RAAT is 64bit Linux for Intel/ARM devices. I was chatting to them quite a while back about Experts, and I got the impression it would require them to write custom versions of their code for a platform like Devialet (if it would even be possible) due to its under-specced streamer board. They weren't keen on this as they said they'd done it in the past and it always lead to a bad user experience. That said, I sensed they might have tried it if the other party were willing.

In any case it's not likely to happen on the 'legacy' streamer now if a new one's on the cards, and if it weren't Devialet I'd be certain that the new streamer would be something very Linux/ARM based or similar. If not what's the point - there would still be nothing obvious to run on it. I guess it will be based on Dialog because no-one sensible would write two custom OSs for hardware with almost identical roles, especially when they, ahem, might not be the most on the ball in software.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I wonder about the memory size of the present and future streamer board. Can a bigger/faster buffer allow the sever to work not in asynchronous mode (with associated error rate) but in bulk mode (with error correction) and timing only dependent on in the internal clock? That would be generating some time delay but that is already the case with AIR (only problem with sync of movies but not for listening to music).
Somethings never felt right to me about the way AIR buffers (at least in v2 it seemed very unintelligent ie more buffer X = slower start to music by time X).

Interestingly no-one's mentioned the one thing it's almost certainly going to be optimised for and proudly supplied with FOC at delivery. I say almost only because it may or may not be ready in time.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-Jul-2016, 15:51)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-Jul-2016, 13:20)AllenB Wrote: It is quite perplexing how a measly little Raspberry Pi can do Roonbridge, yet something that in practice, should be able to stream AIR, yet there is no inkling that Devialet will adopt even RoonBridge.

I believe Roons core code for RoonBridge and RAAT is 64bit Linux for Intel/ARM devices. I was chatting to them quite a while back about Experts, and I got the impression it would require them to write custom versions of their code for a platform like Devialet (if it would even be possible) due to its under-specced streamer board. They weren't keen on this as they said they'd done it in the past and it always lead to a bad user experience. That said, I sensed they might have tried it if the other party were willing.

In any case it's not likely to happen on the 'legacy' streamer now if a new one's on the cards, and if it weren't Devialet I'd be certain that the new streamer would be something very Linux/ARM based or similar. If not what's the point - there would still be nothing obvious to run on it. I guess it will be based on Dialog because no-one sensible would write two custom OSs for hardware with almost identical roles, especially when they, ahem, might not be the most on the ball in software.

Good insight & thanks.

But aaaaarghhh!! The same thing lead to my falling out of love with Naim, never proven, but I believe their streaming board in their streamers were limited in capability. Took them an eternity just to get Tidal integrated. No sign of Roon there either.

I suspect you're right about the 'new' streaming board for the upgraded Experts, what has not been mentioned at all, is whether here will be a new board for un-upgraded Dev's, the ones we own today. If it has RAAT capability, I am all over it (possibly Dodgy ), if all we get is UPnP and Spark capability, that would be a big no thanks from me.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
It looks that Apple will abandon all present connection modes in their laptops including Ethernet and will have only USB-C. So will Devialet's new board allow USB 3 or will it require a bunch of adapters and cables and what will that do to sound quality?
(01-Aug-2016, 00:58)Music or sound Wrote: It looks that Apple will abandon all present connection modes in their laptops including Ethernet and will have only USB-C. So will Devialet's new board allow USB 3 or will it require a bunch of adapters and cables and what will that do to sound quality?

I think the idea is to stream from your NAS over your network (Cat.5 or WIFI) without the need of a computer. USB has always been backwards compatible and there's no need for more speed to get music across so there's no need for or advantage to using USB3.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I am not a fan of NAS connected to a home net works. I like to have data storage on different devices for different tasks like a single storage device for all my music. But I can imagine that even NAS will be soon without ethernet and will WIFI ever work with an expert.
Would not a higher speed data connection allow error correction using bulk mode without too long buffer times?
What I would like to see:

- Based on high end ARM SOC
- Updates automatically via cloud
- G/N/AC wireless support (+ 5ghz)
- All the same functions as in current Phantom software
- Roon Server, not just endpoint