Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
New streamerboard, what functions do we want?
Quote:Instead we are going to get better wireless, PLC and integration with Phantom. My guess at least...

If we made a list of what we want this would be at the bottom of my list and I have a Phantom...... Tongue
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(18-Jan-2017, 18:34)octaviars Wrote:
Quote:Instead we are going to get better wireless, PLC and integration with Phantom. My guess at least...

If we made a list of what we want this would be at the bottom of my list and I have a Phantom...... Tongue

We could try reverse psychology - send a list to Devialet of all the things we don't want, and then trust they'll do the opposite.

But we then run the risk that it's the one day where they decide they're going to listen to their customers and give them what they want! Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(18-Jan-2017, 18:52)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(18-Jan-2017, 18:34)octaviars Wrote:

We could try reverse psychology - send a list to Devialet of all the things we don't want, and then trust they'll do the opposite.

But we then run the risk that it's the one day where they decide they're going to listen to their customers and give them what they want!  Big Grin

Ha! We just can't win!  Huh Undecided

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I almost forgot that in effect I bought one of those streamer boards as well. Anyone care to buy it from me, brand spanking new, unused in the unopened box when I get it? For say 1000euro's (which is a steal since Devialet estimates it's value at 1500 euro!) Big Grin Big Grin Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(18-Jan-2017, 19:25)Antoine Wrote: I almost forgot that in effect I bought one of those streamer boards as well. Anyone care to buy it from me, brand spanking new, unused in the unopened box when I get it? For say 1000euro's (which is a steal since Devialet estimates it's value at 1500 euro!) Big Grin Big Grin Wink

I purposely didn't order the upgrade in 2016 just so I wouldn't get it.   Tongue
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I'm with you Antoine/Dr. Tone.

I don't expect the board doing any good to the sound of the D. Functionality may or may not be improved by the streamerbaord but I can't think of anything contributing to better sound. DRC will be a pain in the a.. (at least for the purists of us) looking on SQ if it would ever come with the streamerbaord...so what usefull things are left?

A new device like the streamerboard can not improve the sound because of the additionally enclosed new power peaks/switching/consumption of this device.
That gives me an idea: Has anybody tried to unplug the Wifi-Board and Phono-Board if he doesn't use this? Does unplugging them improve the sound of streaming over USB/Ethernet/XLR?
I know you can shut off funtionality of Wifi and Phono in the configurator, but I assume the boards will stay powered and only the signal path is switched off or altered. So the boards themselfes still 'polute' the interior of the D along they are not used.
Hey Antoine...another seed... Wink  . I know my ideas are annoying, aren't they  Big Grin .

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Isn't it wifi and ethernet you lose? Phono is on the card as well?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

@Gui, haha, keep planting them, no problem, not annoying at all. Big Grin As long as someone is not forcing me (or trying to) to do anything all is fine with me! Smile

Regarding removing the WiFi board I've actually though about that myself multiple times but haven't done it since it requires opening the D. For now that's off limits for me. Though in 2012 Devialet let people install the board in their D-Premier's themselves (see pics of the installation 'kit' I received back then below) so we should be allright removing the board as well I suppose! Wink

I think only the WiFi board can be removed. The phono circuitry is on the mainboard and I believe that the DUET board (containing the USB/ethernet ports) is required for normal operations since it also contains the main DSP.

PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
So what is the companion missing? Just the wifi card or wifi and duet?

IIRC the WiFi board is required for ethernet to work even though its circuitry is on the DUET board. I'm guessing its signal is routed through that board for processing.

I'm not sure if the companion holds the DUET board, one who has one can easily check this. If there's an ethernet and USB connector on the companion it's there but the WiFi board may still be "missing".

The Netherlands