Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
My Phantom Golds Arrive Friday!!!!!!!
(30-Jul-2016, 17:39)Mr_Bill Wrote: Wow on the new Golds!  Congrats!!
Thanks for the post and please do tell us more about the sound difference between silver and gold when set up optimally in a two channel set up.
You are making history with your first comparison between the 2!

I'm not quite planting a flag on a mountaintop, but l did blindly drop $6K+ sight and sound unseen... so here goes:

I have a 2 channel Silver setup in my master bedroom. I have a 2 channel Gold setup in my living room. The rooms have 10 foot ceilings (3.2M) and unfortunately for speakers (but fortunately for my view) floor-to-ceiling glass windows overlooking the water (with triple pane hurricane glass). So.... the acoustics are not perfect...

That said... here are my thoughts:

-The titanium tweeters make for a punchier, crisper sound at the mid and top. It's definitely individual preference, but I like it.

-The bass seems significantly stronger

-The one downside of the Gold vs Silver, is that the silvers have a bit more of a lighter, airy sound on the highs that gives it a bit more natural of a feel. This may be break-in... but it's noticeable.

-Overall, it's not a HUGE difference between speakers. My girlfriend couldn't hear any difference Smile

So if you have silvers... don't worry, you're not missing a transformational sound difference.
(31-Jul-2016, 15:59)EvPa Wrote: Nice view!

Thanks Smile

We live in Edgewater neighborhood in Miami. That was with the blinds down. Here's a better picture of the view

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Whoa - nice place!!
Thanks for the review. I almost sold my Phantom Silver to buy Phantom Gold, but if there aren't any significant sound different, I will wait for a bigger model. But I like the Phantom Gold color more than my Silver Smile
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
(31-Jul-2016, 16:56)Mr_Bill Wrote: Whoa - nice place!!

Thanks!!!
(31-Jul-2016, 18:06)mixart Wrote: Thanks for the review. I almost sold my Phantom Silver to buy Phantom Gold, but if there aren't any significant sound different, I will wait for a bigger model. But I like the Phantom Gold color more than my Silver Smile

yeah... I like the Gold design better too.

I wish I could announce the sound was mind-glowingly different... but it's not. I guess we should never have expected an already excellent speaker to sound shitty by comparison Smile

DK
(31-Jul-2016, 16:20)dkoretz Wrote:

Thanks Smile

We live in Edgewater neighborhood in Miami. That was with the blinds down. Here's a better picture of the view

Fantastic view! Smile 
Thank you for the review. Have you tried the Airplay compatibility?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(31-Jul-2016, 18:10)dkoretz Wrote:
(31-Jul-2016, 18:06)mixart Wrote: Thanks for the review. I almost sold my Phantom Silver to buy Phantom Gold, but if there aren't any significant sound different, I will wait for a bigger model. But I like the Phantom Gold color more than my Silver Smile

yeah... I like the Gold design better too.

I wish I could announce the sound was mind-glowingly different... but it's not. I guess we should never have expected an already excellent speaker to sound shitty by comparison Smile

DK

Have you tried gold and silver in same room with identical positions?
Cool! And what a view yeah!
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(31-Jul-2016, 18:11)ragwo Wrote:
(31-Jul-2016, 16:20)dkoretz Wrote:

Thanks Smile

Fantastic view! Smile 
Thank you for the review. Have you tried the Airplay compatibility?
I had not tried AirPlay. 

Just tried it and have no idea how to get it to turn on. It's not showing up in sources the way AppleTV's do. I played with a bunch of settings and nothing worked.

DK