Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows AIR 3 sound quality observations
I suspect that Windows AIR 3 may suffer the odd set-up and stability issues, which will result in very many posts.  So I thought it would be good to separate the fun bit for those who get it working.  How does it sound?  Better than AIR 2?  I giant leap ahead, much the same?  Also, much kudos to anyone who can get both Mac & Windows AIR 3 running for a back to back test?  Are there any differences?

So how do you find Windows AIR 3?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I am one of the lucky one who can test both Mac and Windows versions. However, lately I've been busy preparing to move to Malaysia that I have not much time listening to my system.

One major advantage of Windows version is that it can play DSD64 materials. Together with FW10.0.2, AIR3.0b sounded good in my setup. More clarity, wider and taller soundstage, more accuracy of instruments separation.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(28-Jul-2016, 01:52)hk6230 Wrote: I am one of the lucky one who can test both Mac and Windows versions. However, lately I've been busy preparing to move to Malaysia that I have not much time listening to my system.

One major advantage of Windows version is that it can play DSD64 materials. Together with FW10.0.2, AIR3.0b sounded good in my setup. More clarity, wider and taller soundstage, more accuracy of instruments separation.

Sadly that is still true with the Mac version. Just tested the Mac AIR3 release candidate and still get the hissy background if try to playback DSD64 via DoP.

So far the release candidate has been very stable for me, as was the prior Beta release. Sound quality is wonderful.

Will have to pull out the Windows 10 laptop and give it another go with the Windows AIR3 beta.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(28-Jul-2016, 01:52)hk6230 Wrote: I am one of the lucky one who can test both Mac and Windows versions. However, lately I've been busy preparing to move to Malaysia that I have not much time listening to my system.

When you played DSD did your Devialet show that? No matter how I sett the settings I get DSD to PCM conversion and my Devialet shows 176.4kHz when I play a DSD song in Roon.

However no problems with noise or anything with AIR3 on Win10 so far.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Hi Octaviars, in Roon please set DCD over PCM (DoP). And yes, it displayed DSD64. On Roon, it stated encapsulation is DSD over PCM.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(28-Jul-2016, 07:40)hk6230 Wrote: Hi Octaviars, in Roon please set DCD over PCM (DoP). And yes, it displayed DSD64. On Roon, it stated encapsulation is DSD over PCM.

I did that but still it shows it is converting DSD to PCM.......I will try to do it again, dont know what was wrong but now it shows DSD64.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

AIR is PCM only, nowhere does Devialet advertises that it supports DoP (DSD over PCM) with AIR. My understanding is that the audio is converted in your computer before being sent as PCM to the amplifier.
(28-Jul-2016, 09:30)raph972 Wrote: AIR is PCM only, nowhere does Devialet advertises that it supports DoP (DSD over PCM) with AIR. My understanding is that the audio is converted in your computer before being sent as PCM to the amplifier.

My Devialet shows DSD and in ROON DSD64 is one of the supported formats that it can send to AIR when DSD over DoP is selected.

Regarding soundquality I think AIR3 and Roon on my computer is the best I have got in my system.

Second system

Looks like you manage to get DSD64 working on AIR3 with Roon, and enjoying it. Great!

(28-Jul-2016, 11:36)hk6230 Wrote: Looks like you manage to get DSD64 working on AIR3 with Roon, and enjoying it. Great!

Yes I did, no clue what was wrong but selected DoP and restarted Roon and then it worked. 

I think Tidal never sounded this good as it is right now with Roon and AIR3, really pleased with the sound right now.

Second system