Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got a 120, couple of questions
Hi all, I am thrilled to be a new 120 owner. This unit represents everything I want in a piece of hifi. I am running a Rega P3-24 and a MacBook Pro/Air 3.1 Beta for Spotify and iTunes streaming, as well as a Chromecast Audio also for Spotify which may soon be sunset if Air 3.1 continues to prove stable. Speakers are KEF LS50, and I love SAM. This system is used on the desktop and will get a ton of hours.  

I have been playing with settings for the last few days and there are a couple of general settings that I have questions on.

1. Is anyone not using dynamic power management? It appears to be default as of the 8.x firmware. Not sure I love the concept for a piece of hifi but Devialet thinks it is worthy of a "default" designation. Would love opinions on this, I have yet to A/B. 

2. What about putting the unit to sleep? I have the display going dark after a few seconds during normal operation, and then the unit goes into low power after after 30 minutes with the display still completely black. Then After another 60 minutes, the unit goes to sleep and actually powers on the display (very low brightness showing "Devialet 120") while also requiring all of the settings to be reloaded before the device will play music. 

I am leaning towards disabling sleep, and just letting it stay in low power mode in order to keep the display always off and avoiding the 10 second bootup while coming out of sleep. Any reason not to do this? 

Thanks

LA
(01-Aug-2016, 01:19)Les Anderson Wrote: Hi all, I am thrilled to be a new 120 owner. This unit represents everything I want in a piece of hifi. I am running a Rega P3-24 and a MacBook Pro/Air 3.1 Beta for Spotify and iTunes streaming, as well as a Chromecast Audio also for Spotify which may soon be sunset if Air 3.1 continues to prove stable. Speakers are KEF LS50, and I love SAM. This system is used on the desktop and will get a ton of hours.  

I have been playing with settings for the last few days and there are a couple of general settings that I have questions on.

1. Is anyone not using dynamic power management? It appears to be default as of the 8.x firmware. Not sure I love the concept for a piece of hifi but Devialet thinks it is worthy of a "default" designation. Would love opinions on this, I have yet to A/B. 

2. What about putting the unit to sleep? I have the display going dark after a few seconds during normal operation, and then the unit goes into low power after after 30 minutes with the display still completely black. Then After another 60 minutes, the unit goes to sleep and actually powers on the display (very low brightness showing "Devialet 120") while also requiring all of the settings to be reloaded before the device will play music. 

I am leaning towards disabling sleep, and just letting it stay in low power mode in order to keep the display always off and avoiding the 10 second bootup while coming out of sleep. Any reason not to do this? 

Thanks

LA
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hello, it looks like you may have had something to say but I see no text! Sad
(01-Aug-2016, 01:19)Les Anderson Wrote: Hi all, I am thrilled to be a new 120 owner. This unit represents everything I want in a piece of hifi. I am running a Rega P3-24 and a MacBook Pro/Air 3.1 Beta for Spotify and iTunes streaming, as well as a Chromecast Audio also for Spotify which may soon be sunset if Air 3.1 continues to prove stable. Speakers are KEF LS50, and I love SAM. This system is used on the desktop and will get a ton of hours.  

Thanks

LA

I turn off DPM when I listen to music, but keep it on when the amp is not in use. There is around 10 degrees lower temperature with DPM on. I *think* I have better sound with DPM disabled, a little rounder and more coherent, better sound stage detail, but the difference is small. This is with 9.0.1. 10.0.2 may have changed this (my amp is a 250).
I keep sleep mode disabled  and use the low power setting as you do. I also like to have the display go dark. The amp uses around 15 minutes to sound it's best after start from sleep (cold) mode so that is one reason for not using sleep.
One more reason for me is that I use a microRendu. There is a bug in the combination of Devialet and microRendu in squeezelite mode where microRendu 'looses' the DAC on input change or the amp comes back from sleep. The fix is as simple as restarting squeezelite on the microRendu, but I prefer to keep the amp on.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(01-Aug-2016, 04:41)Les Anderson Wrote: Hello, it looks like you may have had something to say but I see no text! Sad

Dunno what happened there  Huh

What i was going to say is: I've noticed my D200 sounds more relaxed after about 24hours of playing so when I get a chance, I'll leave it on for days. If you don't mind about the power cost that's the way to go in my experience. The tricky bit is having music on so close to the bedroom and trying to sleep.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Mine is always on too. It just sounds better when its warmed up.
DPM is off to to heat it up just a bit more...
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Thanks for the responses, I disabled the automatic sleep this morning. Feel good about that!

In regards to DPM, hmmm---10 degress C is quite a bit. I have already seen 55C on a session that was not too long or too demanding. I may keep this enabled and avoid opening pandora's box for now!

Cylob, I will be taking my 120 to a friends who has 1.7is this upcoming weekend. Certainly a little underpowered, but I can't wait to hear what the pair can do. The 200 must be very nice. Enjoy
If it is brand new it will run hotter, as it wears in you will find that it will run cooler.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(01-Aug-2016, 16:13)Les Anderson Wrote: Thanks for the responses, I disabled the automatic sleep this morning. Feel good about that!

In regards to DPM, hmmm---10 degress C is quite a bit. I have already seen 55C on a session that was not too long or too demanding. I may keep this enabled and avoid opening pandora's box for now!

Cylob, I will be taking my 120 to a friends who has 1.7is this upcoming weekend. Certainly a little underpowered, but I can't wait to hear what the pair can do. The 200 must be very nice. Enjoy

I auctioned them with a D120 and it was certainlly not underpowered. Just a little bit less detail and soundscape width. But an awesome combo still.
I mainly bought the D200 for the extra output settings, not for the SQ difference which wasn't big enough to justify the 2K euro's extra.
I'm still in love with them. The detail, transparency and imaging is just awesome.
And they're not expensive at all. Anything else I've heard for that price didn't even come close.
Enjoy! And let me know wether you liked em or not.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
There is no difference in sound quality between the 120 and the 200 and power differences are nil. The 200 has some creature features the 120 lacks but that only matters to the people that would need them but even then I doubt most people use them.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."