Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1000 Pro with dCS Vivaldi?
(03-Aug-2016, 22:13)Hifi_swlon Wrote: What I like about that setup, and the Statement in fact - apart from the reasonable cost - is the unintrusive minimalist nature of it. I could happily plonk either down in my lounge and they'd blend right in with the furniture.

Ahem.... just a point of order, or clarity, here; are we saying the Naim Statement is 'reasonably priced'? Last I saw, the Statement preamp was about 250,000 in some modern currency (pounds sterling, USD). Based on the last pic I saw, the Statement is a piece of the furniture. Plus it needs the matching piano-sized amplifier to go with... Big box to store in the attic, too. 

I suspect I've missed the subtle irony here... not for the first time, I'm guessing. 

BTW, I'm using the ',' as a separator of the thousands of units, not the decimal tenths, so I mean two hundred and fifty thousand and some number of cents, pence, centimes, centisime, etc.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(04-Aug-2016, 05:38)Damon Wrote:
(03-Aug-2016, 22:13)Hifi_swlon Wrote: What I like about that setup, and the Statement in fact - apart from the reasonable cost - is the unintrusive minimalist nature of it. I could happily plonk either down in my lounge and they'd blend right in with the furniture.

Ahem.... just a point of order, or clarity, here; are we saying the Naim Statement is 'reasonably priced'? Last I saw, the Statement preamp was about 250,000 in some modern currency (pounds sterling, USD). Based on the last pic I saw, the Statement is a piece of the furniture. Plus it needs the matching piano-sized amplifier to go with... Big box to store in the attic, too. 

I suspect I've missed the subtle irony here... not for the first time, I'm guessing. 

BTW, I'm using the ',' as a separator of the thousands of units, not the decimal tenths, so I mean two hundred and fifty thousand and some number of cents, pence, centimes, centisime, etc.

I know. A bargain. I wouldn't have them in my island residence, minor yachts, or ski chalet. But for the main residences, and the biggest of the fleet, it's a no brainer.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(04-Aug-2016, 02:24)agentsmith Wrote:
(03-Aug-2016, 22:04)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Could it be to demonstrate how good the AD conversion in the D1000Pro is?

That's my first thought.

But what would that prove?

If the Vivaldi Analogue into the Devialet sounds the same as the built in DAC, that means the Devialet homogenises everything?

If the Vivaldi sounds worse, the A2D is no good?

If the Vivaldi sounds better, does it mean the A2D is no good?  Or the Devialet built in DAC is better?

Since everything is bottlenecked thru the Devialet DAC and amp, i think it is hard to draw conclusions.

I think if the dCS rig with DAC to Devialet actually sounded better (thanks to the good work of dCs's £20k DAC) than the dSC rig digital to Devialet (without dCS DAC), then it would tell you that with the Devialet running analogue input, ADC to ADH is basically transparent to the input.  That is, the ADH is not a bottleneck.

This is all speculation of course.  Although the lucky folk at KJ West One have all this kit in store, I believe hifi shops can be a little quiet in August?   So it is now down to you guys to get busy, try all these things, and report back!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Yeah! Let's rename this thread: Devialet v Naim shootout!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(04-Aug-2016, 10:49)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Yeah! Let's rename this thread: Devialet v Naim shootout!

The dCS Vivaldi stack plus the Naim Statement and its various power supply options must be one of the best sounding setups in the world.

If Devialet compares well with that setup that would be a David Vs Goliath story.
If Devialet compares well with that setup that would be a David Vs Goliath story.
[/quote]

And who won that battle?  Huh
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(04-Aug-2016, 10:55)agentsmith Wrote:
(04-Aug-2016, 10:49)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Yeah! Let's rename this thread: Devialet v Naim shootout!

The dCS Vivaldi stack plus the Naim Statement and its various power supply options must be one of the best sounding setups in the world.

Certainly one of the most expensive. Same thing I suppose.....

I'm assuming top of the line Magico speakers or kef muons would be perfect pairings

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

If you go to the Facebook page and look at the dealers cover photo you will see the identical setup being used with D'agostino Momentum amps. Isn't it most likely that they simply put the Pro's down where the amps powering prior sat and that this isn't some special pairing?
This was copied from KJ Wests Facebook:

"The new Devialet 1000 Pro has arrived at KJ West One!

With 5 new patents, a power output of 1000 Watts and unprecedented performance, the 1000 Pro is a seriously impressive amplifier.

The 1000 Pro features a host of upgrades from the 800 including a new version of the ADH Intelligence system, the most advanced yet, with an improved ADH loop regulation algorithm and a 4x improvement of the signal control precision.

The amplifiers have been improved with a new Class A amplifier reducing harmonic distortion rate and power consumption and an advanced Class D amplifier inducing a power transmission improved by 25%.

Other innovations include a new power supply to handle transient loads twice as fast, a new thermal management which can dissipate heat two times faster and a new architecture allowing integration of future hardware and software evolutions.

We have been running it in with the Data Conversion Systems Ltd Vivadli and the Wilson Audio Alexia loudspeakers. This is a reference standard amplifier which is able to compete with the best audiophile equipment from all over the world!

There is an upgrade scheme available for anyone looking to upgrade from their Le 800 to the 1000 Pro. Contact us for details.

To arrange a demonstration, please email info@kjwestone.co.uk"

So, it appears they are in fact using the Vivaldi stack which really doesn't make any sense if this is about demoing the latest product from Devialet. The DCS Vivaldi isn't exactly brand new either.
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
One way to do it is for KJ to use the dCS (analogue output)/Naim/Wilson set up; then insest a few Original d'Ateliers between the dCS and the Naim, each analogue in and analogue out, so that the Devialet ADC and DAC are used multiple times (the wiring change would be minimal), and have a blind comparative listen.

Quad used to do this with the 303 power amplifier. A rather harder test, but the same idea.

http://photobucket.com/images/quad%20303%20advert

(First advert, you can click on it)
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England