Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does SAM do?
Another point of clarification from a newbie in the Devialet world. I am very familiar with room correction and use it extensively in my systems. I have a Tact 2.2XP and Tact 2150XDM room correction systems, which can sometimes do an amazing job of making a speaker fit a difficult acoustic. They can sometimes also fix problems with the speaker itself. I recently got a pair of Proac Response 3.5s, a highly regarded speaker from the 1990s-2000s. One speaker was perfectly working, the other had some strange issues with the two 7" dual midrange/woofer cones. The defective speaker produced a response curve about 15 dB below the normally working speaker in the midrange, but matched the working unit in the treble and bass. Anyway, after room correction, the two speakers sounded exactly the same. You could not tell them apart on mono material (like BBC World Service broadcasts). 

So, digital room correction is well understood, works very well in many cases, and has a solid foundation in acoustics and signal processing. Feed the speaker an impulse, compute its frequency response, and correct it to any desired response (the Tact allows modifying the response on a PC, which runs all the computations). 

Now, what does SAM do? Devialet has a web page "explaining" what  SAM does for the B&W 800 Diamond, a speaker that I own, except it explains nothing. It shows two curves, which look like time domain curves, one somehow is corrected to follow the actual signal more closely than the other uncorrected curve. Also, the same page says the frequency response of the B&W 800 Diamond is extended to 16 Hz, which is well below the manufacturer's specification. This is a bit worrying as well, and you have to wonder if this is a safe thing to do (after all, B&W designed the speaker and chose the bass extension cutoff based on the ability of the speaker to achieve a certain bass frequency safely). 

http://en.devialet.com/speakers/bowers-w...00-diamond

What they claim is the following: "SAM processes in real-time the musical signal, ensuring that the sound pressure reproduced by the speaker matches exactly the one recorded by the microphone."

It sounds like SAM is correcting for the speaker's response, but without actually measuring the speaker in my listening room, it is hard to see how this can be done at all. Presumably the correction signal is computed in Devaliet's listening room, which may have completely different acoustics. The whole thing is quite mysterious, and another reason for concern from a prospective buyer.
Lots to read re SAM on this forum, here is somewhere to start.

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2

SAM is not room correction. Devialet measure the response of a speaker to create an electronic model of how it performs versus the input signal. They invert the model to create a SAM profile, so SAM corrects phase and time domain errors caused by the design of the speaker. As part of the process of producing a SAM profile, Devialet take into account maximum driver movement and voice coil temperature. So SAM actually performs a speaker protection function. It is cleaver stuff, not a gimmick.

If you look through the speaker sub section of this forum there is lots written about SAM, the good and the bad!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
It is also worth pointing out that the level of "SAM" can be changed from 1-100 on the fly while fully preserving corrections for phase and time domains regardless of how much "SAM" you are applying to your speakers. I listen to KEF LS50 on the desktop, and 100% SAM energizes the bass too much, so I dial SAM way back but it still provides a subtle but very noticeable improvement.

While you have already noticed that Devialet marketing is questionable, their technology is not. These boxes are full of innovative and game changing technology.
Les or anyone, if I add SAM as an on/off on my remote button 2 how do I change the % level?
(06-Aug-2016, 17:46)Mr_Bill Wrote: Les or anyone, if I add SAM as an on/off on my remote button 2 how do I change the % level?

Hold down the center button to bring up adjustable parameters.  Then hit center button to toggle between different adjustable values like balance, bass, treble, SAM %.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2