Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The amplifier being replaced by my D400

This is the mighty Krell 700cx. It weighs about 200 pounds and counting, has razor sharp heat sinks on either side that I have been mauled by numerous times (when not paying it the respect it deserves), and serves to nicely heat up my large listening room. It happily consumes as much electricity as you give it. Measurements made by Martin Colloms in Hi-Fi News and Record Review showed the 700cx produces almost 900 watts into 8 ohms, and keeps doubling into lower impedances until your electric connection gives up. 

But, all that aside, I have never heard a better amplifier. I have tried it with speakers of all shapes and sizes. Believe it or not, some of the best sound I heard came when the 700cx was driving a pair of bookshelf Spendor S3/5. Glorious midrange, deep soundstage, and dynamics that made you almost forget you were listening to a tiny speaker. With the big B&W 800s, there's effectively no volume limit. Things actually do not get loud, surprisingly. The soundstage just gets larger and instruments sound more powerful. The presence on voices is amazing. Large scale opera takes on a whole new dimension. 

Will the D400 be an effective replacement? I have my doubts. Can a diminutive 20 pound weakling taken on a 200 pound Goliath? On Thursday, the matchup will begin. Who will win? Let the bidding begin!
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Ahh memories! A D-Premier replaced my 11 year old FPB400x (and AR Ref 2 pre and Ayre Phono stage).

My prediction?

Minuses: You won't have the bass grip, extension and slam that only Krell can give (cliche but true). Your house will be a lot colder and safer.
Plusses: The speed and clarity of the Dev across the frequency range will be very obvious. The Krell sounds a bit slow and ponderous by comparison. Bass with Dev is lighter but very tuneful and you hear more bass textures rather than one note grunt (depends what you like). Soundstaging with Dev is more realistic. Your feet and fingers will be safe (I sliced the bottom of my foot open on the Krell!). You will also get rid of last least one other item (maybe even 3 - pre/dac/phono) and a whole mess of interconnects and mains cables.

I still miss my Krell and would probably have a pair of 750cx monos by now if Devialet did not exist.
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Will certainly be interesting to see how the 400 compares. Although I don't doubt that the 400 will match the Krells in some areas I would have thought that the 800 would be a much better comparison, what with 800W into 6 ohms. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I think the Krell will need a DAC. Otherwise an easy win for the 400. In fact, the winner if this one could well be dependant on which DAC used with the Krell.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(10-Aug-2016, 12:32)GuillaumeB Wrote: Will certainly be interesting to see how the 400 compares. Although I don't doubt that the 400 will match the Krells in some areas I would have thought that the 800 would be a much better comparison, what with 800W into 6 ohms. 

Guillaume

Yes, you are correct. I agonized over getting the 800 vs. the 400. I would have liked to hear the 800 vs. the 400, but that was not possible as no one stocks both near me. I was lucky to hear the 400 thanks to Dusty bringing them over. I assume the 800 is a more powerful and refined version of the 400. I was contemplating a demo 800, but that sold before I could make an offer on it. New 800s are 2x the price I paid for my 400, so that was a factor as well. 

I'm also thinking that Devialet as a brand is just getting started, and it is highly likely that over the next couple of years, we are going to see a plethora of new models from them. So, I'm holding back for now from making too large an investment till I see what the coming year or two brings. I expect many of the current issues, like overheating and networking problems, to get resolved in future designs.
Quote:I still have problems with it. For years, I’ve believed that the best sound could be produced only by the biggest transformers and the largest banks of output devices, all housed within the most massive aluminum slabs. I’m drawn to such components. I have enjoyed them. But those long-held biases have collided with Devialet, and the Devialet 400s have emerged the undisputed winner. Or, to state the obvious: what has won is the Devialet 400s’ sound

This is from Jeff Frits review of the 400 and I know he thinks Devialet delivers better bass performance in his Magico Q7 than many ultra high-end amplifiers have done.

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...ifier-dacs
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(10-Aug-2016, 14:19)srima Wrote:
(10-Aug-2016, 12:32)GuillaumeB Wrote: Will certainly be interesting to see how the 400 compares. Although I don't doubt that the 400 will match the Krells in some areas I would have thought that the 800 would be a much better comparison, what with 800W into 6 ohms. 

Guillaume

Yes, you are correct. I agonized over getting the 800 vs. the 400. I would have liked to hear the 800 vs. the 400, but that was not possible as no one stocks both near me. I was lucky to hear the 400 thanks to Dusty bringing them over. I assume the 800 is a more powerful and refined version of the 400. I was contemplating a demo 800, but that sold before I could make an offer on it. New 800s are 2x the price I paid for my 400, so that was a factor as well. 

I'm also thinking that Devialet as a brand is just getting started, and it is highly likely that over the next couple of years, we are going to see a plethora of new models from them. So, I'm holding back for now from making too large an investment till I see what the coming year or two brings. I expect many of the current issues, like overheating and networking problems, to get resolved in future designs.

"I'm also thinking that Devialet as a brand is just getting started, and it is highly likely that over the next couple of years, we are going to see a plethora of new models from them. So, I'm holding back for now from making too large an investment till I see what the coming year or two brings..."

Nail on head, as I am sure you've picked up from other threads!  I suspect once the new Pro versions are out, the main developments will be firmware/software related over the next couple of years. 
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I've been through Levinson amps and later, the big McCormack.  Not quite the size/weight of your Krells, although they did equal damage to me, my back, and my AC bills.   They were all quite amazing at the time, but there's no going back for me now.  Devialet offers so much more than just refined amp muscle.   But the results of your comparison will have as much to do with what you pair with the Krells as mentioned - DAC in particular.   I'd put my money on the Devialet 400 regardless, but we all have different ears, passions and priorities.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(10-Aug-2016, 15:05)octaviars Wrote: This is from Jeff Frits review of the 400 and I know he thinks Devialet delivers better bass performance in his Magico Q7 than many ultra high-end amplifiers have done.

Since then, Jeff Fritz has bettered his Devialet with Soulution, but as I read it Jeff still says that Devialet is the best for the money among the best amps.

As to Krell, I bettered my Krell with a Pioneer AVR amplifying my B&W 802s. I prefer my Devialet 400 to a pair of Krell 600W monoblocks amplifying Magico S5. I get the appeal of Krell's bass, but I prefer more-detailed bass to more bass, so prefer Devialet to Krell in every comparison I've heard between them.