Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
35 years after the CD was invented, its promise is realized!
I entered graduate school in the United States right on the cusp of digital technology. The compact disc was invented in 1982, and I began my PhD in Computer Science in 1983. As I began to build a music collection, I naturally gravitated to vinyl records, then available in plentiful supply. My favorite store was Princeton Record Exchange, a fabulous stomping ground for vinyl collectors where you could pick up a box set of Haydn symphonies on London (Decca) for $5. 

Although CDs were beginning to emerge, it took another 10 years before the classical repertoire on CD was large and diverse enough to challenge the dominance of vinyl. By then, it was too late. I already had amassed a collection of a few thousand vinyl albums (mostly classical, a few rock albums from my wild undergraduate days in India, and some jazz). The CD players of the day that I used (mostly Sony ES) were no match for state of the art record players. My first real (and still current) record player was the Basis Ovation with the wonderful Graham 1.5t unipivot tonearm. This combo made throwaway vinyl in the bottom bins of Princeton Record Exchange that you could pick up for 10-20 cents sound better than many CDs, which were then harsh and strident to my ears. 

Digital technology reproduction made huge strides in the 21st century, and in 2010, I finally could afford to buy a state of the art digital setup that challenged my 20 year old Basis+Graham analog system. This was the Esoteric combo, which had some of the same dynamics that vinyl had, but also midrange smoothness and clarity. 

With the Devialet D400, I think it's safe to say another milestone has been reached. Digital technology has finally triumphed at the system level, all the way from vinyl cartridge input to speaker input, replacing half a dozen components and tons of cables by a slim device. Based on an initial sampling of few CDs and LPs, I've realized the enormous potential of the D400 in transforming the whole reproduction chain. Finally, the promise of 16 bit 44.1 Khz digital is realized, and the great recordings from the past 30+ years can once again be savored. 

Forget your namby pamby Decca, EMI, Telarc recordings! My go to albums for analyzing dynamics is the immortal Mercury Living Presence series. Only when I started collecting MLP discs did I realize that CDs could actually reproduce dynamics like LPs can. Unlike most classical labels, which heavily compress their recordings, or use hundreds of microphones to squelch the sound, MLP engineers always used only 3 spaced omnis feeding directly into a massive tube mixer. No compression was ever used or needed. Early Telarc recordings were based on spaced omnis, to great effect, e.g., the box set of Mozart symphonies by Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra. The one great drawback of the MLP discs so far has been that their top end sometimes reveals the limitations of the microphones used. The top end can sometimes be harsh. 

With the D400s, this has been banished. I never realized the true beauty of MLP recordings till I heard them today on the D400. Freed from any semblance of digital hardness, glare, or brightness, these few hundred CDs can now be enjoyed. These are without a doubt the best buy in classical music today, available in three box sets (150 discs, roughly $2 per disc, a steal if there was ever was one). If you've never heard an MLP recording, you're  in for a treat. 

If you could only buy 1 MLP CD, you should get Paul Paray's immortal recording "Dances of Death". It is a collection of sensual and voluptuous orchestral music by the greatest of composers. Try Richard Strauss' Salome's Dance of the Seven Veils (track 3). This track tells you everything you need to know about how to record orchestral dynamics, from the deepest bass to the sparkling sound of delicate triangles. (but why pay $16 for this disc when you can get a whole box set for $2 a disc?). 

Of course, much of the sound I'm hearing is because the Quad ESL-63 is finally able to reproduce music without the accompanying detritus of digital hash, glare, and stridency that made digital playback something to run from. The greatest recordings in classical music, jazz, folk, and rock all come from the pre-digital era (1950s-1980s). These can now be enjoyed in their full richness. That alone makes the D400 worth the price of admission.
Ah the joy of 16/44.1! Actually, I agree with a lot of what you have said, a great post! Plus these days there is much interest in 24 bit, MQA, DSD, DXD and whatever else, but if 16/44.1 is done properly, yes, it can appear to be faultless. I'd take a well recorded CD over a mediocre recorded DSD every day of the week. It is perhaps worth adding that I have some CD's where although I like the music, the recording quality is utterly dreadful! Another thought I have is I recall when CD's first emerged, they were to me very expensive. In fact, the prices of CD's seem to be much the same today as they were 25 years ago, making them a bargain now. One thing I do is that if I recall some music that I liked in the past that I do not have on CD, I will go hunting on the internet. Very often you can find a copy second hand for not much more than the cost of postage. All good fun. Having said all that, looking at your post over on another thread, it does look like there is a rather nice turntable lurking somewhere in your listening room?

Plus, there is another way of looking at all this. With computers, videos, TV's, cars, you name it, we have seen an incredible rate of progress, year on year on year. With music formats, as you say, 16/44.1 is now 35 years old. OK, there are better formats now, but what reigns supreme? The answer 256 kbps AAC and maybe 320 kbps on some 'premium' streaming services. Unfathomable! Although give it another ten years and I'm sure these formats will start to catch up with CD quality from the good old 1980's, helped to an extent this by the resurgence in vinyl. (?!)

Oh, and one last thing. I recall your early trepidation with respect to 'going Devialet'. Looks to me like you and your D400 are bonding nicely now?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks for this great post. Completely agree. Listening to Janos Starker and Gyorgy Sebok playing Brahms and streaming via TIDAL through space and time into my living room. The quality is just absurd. Not through a Devialet, but a similar sort of digital domain technology. For me my TACT Millennium amp changed the game and Devialet, Grimm and others have really realized the possibilities of 44.1 when well mastered and when everything is kept in the digital domain as long as possible. Your system looks awesome BTW!
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Thanks for the positive reads. I have just ordered MLP Vol. II and III.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(12-Aug-2016, 07:03)Confused Wrote: Ah the joy of 16/44.1!  Actually, I agree with a lot of what you have said, a great post!  Plus these days there is much interest in 24 bit, MQA, DSD, DXD and whatever else, but if 16/44.1 is done properly, yes, it can appear to be faultless.  I'd take a well recorded CD over a mediocre recorded DSD every day of the week.  It is perhaps worth adding that I have some CD's where although I like the music, the recording quality is utterly dreadful!  Another thought I have is I recall when CD's first emerged, they were to me very expensive.  In fact, the prices of CD's seem to be much the same today as they were 25 years ago, making them a bargain now.  One thing I do is that if I recall some music that I liked in the past that I do not have on CD, I will go hunting on the internet.  Very often you can find a copy second hand for not much more than the cost of postage.  All good fun.   Having said all that, looking at your post over on another thread, it does look like there is a rather nice turntable lurking somewhere in your listening room?

Plus, there is another way of looking at all this.  With computers, videos, TV's, cars, you name it, we have seen an incredible rate of progress, year on year on year.  With music formats, as you say, 16/44.1 is now 35 years old.  OK, there are better formats now, but what reigns supreme?  The answer 256 kbps AAC and maybe 320 kbps on some 'premium' streaming services.  Unfathomable!  Although give it another ten years and I'm sure these formats will start to catch up with CD quality from the good old 1980's, helped to an extent this by the resurgence in vinyl.  (?!)

Oh, and one last thing.  I recall your early trepidation with respect to 'going Devialet'.  Looks to me like you and your D400 are bonding nicely now?
Oh yes, that 's my 25 year old Basis Ovation, now outfitted with an SME V arm. After 25 years, the Graham 1.5T tonearm finally bit the dust. Its parts slowly deteriorated to the extent that Graham, whose company is close to where I live, cannot fix it anymore. The price of the Graham Phantom is way more than the stalwart SME V, so SME V is the arm I bought. It's a great tonearm as well, beautifully built and easy to use. 

I'll give up listening to LPs when I pass on! I'll write it in my will to have them buried with me :-).
Hi Sridhar :

A great post that I loved reading .. only difference is that my story lags behind you approx. 7-8 yrs. Since my days in Boston, I'm pretty much a B&W 800-series person and am continuing on that road till date ..

And as "confused" rightly said, you & D400 are in good partnership ..

Good to know !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US