Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot get streaming to work to my D400
I am using exactly the same settings recommended on this thread. I am streaming from a Mac Pro (late 2013 model), using AudiNirvana Plus, have selected Devialet Air as the sound device, all the options look like the standard ones. The D400 is on the ethernet input (I don't use wifi). I get no sound at all because the D400 is getting no signal (monitoring with the level meters indicates no signal is coming in). 

This is really frustrating. Another reason why despite all the hoopla over other streamers, I am staying to my tried and trusted Logitech Squeezebox, the only streamer that I have found works reliably 100% of the time, over almost a decade. Other models come and go, and are quickly discarded when I find they are totally unreliable. 

I would like to get AIR working to test and compare against the Logitech, but it seems to be also in the pile of has-been's. How can a company that can design a product as well thought out and brilliant as the Dxx series not be able to get streaming to work right? Is the fault in the AIR or in the user? If as a computer science professor and well experienced in software and hardware cannot get this to work, how can the average user be able to do much better? 

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I only use Roon and AIR3 on PC but that works without a glitch on my D400 so I asume the fault to be in your computer settings but I might be wrong. Since the AIR3 version came out I have been using it with very little problems but I dont know anything about AudiNirvana but I am shure there is someone here that have done and perhaps know the problem.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Most people get it working easily, it just keeping it working without hickups or white noise that's difficult.

Basic troubleshooting, did you try to get it working without Audirvana first?
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hello,
Audirvana doesn't work with Air3. I tried, like a lot of others, to play with the settings without success. You can try to tick some settings in Audirvana, and you will maybe have the chance to hear something but it won't last for long. Apparently, it works quite well with JRiver but i didn't tried it... From what I read on others forums (french), the main problem comes from the exclusive mode on Audirvana which conflicts with Air3. The best way for me is to use Itunes + Bitperfect. It allows you to stream the audio in native format through air. With Itunes alone, you will only get 16/44.1 on the Dev except if you are happy to play with MAC Midi settings every time bitrate changes...
Sorry for my english, not my mother's tongue.
Sebastien
Tweaked Mac Mini + Audirvana - Bridge ethernet - Metrum Ambre with RopieeXL - Coax - D120 - Mulidine Cadence
Cables : TWL Digital American - Coax cable : l'atelier acoustik - Ethernet : Monoprice cat5 UTP - Speakers : Duelund 16 awg
(02-Sep-2016, 15:06)Antoine Wrote: Most people get it working easily, it just keeping it working without hickups or white noise that's difficult.

Excellent point. Actually, I just tried using vox, and voila', it plays back fine using AIR on the D400. So, clearly AudiNirvana Plus is busted. Glad I didn't waste any money on this software, and was just using the trial version. 

Not sure the audio quality is as good as streaming from my Vortexbox using Logitech Squeezebox. I seem to hear some distortion occasionally. I'll try it for a longer time period and see how it goes.
(03-Sep-2016, 00:33)srima Wrote:
(02-Sep-2016, 15:06)Antoine Wrote: Most people get it working easily, it just keeping it working without hickups or white noise that's difficult.

Excellent point. Actually, I just tried using vox, and voila', it plays back fine using AIR on the D400. So, clearly AudiNirvana Plus is busted. Glad I didn't waste any money on this software, and was just using the trial version. 

Not sure the audio quality is as good as streaming from my Vortexbox using Logitech Squeezebox. I seem to hear some distortion occasionally. I'll try it for a longer time period and see how it goes.

I played a track of the 24-bit version of the Beatles (originally released on a USB stick that looked like an Apple). Within one song, my wife said: can we please listen to the LP, instead??? 

Played the LP on the $100 Technics linear tracking turntable with an el cheapo cartridge. Blows the 24-bit version of the Beatles, hands down. The music erupts into life, voices are present and staggeringly real, and the music has real dynamics again. The 24-bit version sounds lifeless in comparison.  Either AIR is completely broken, or the remastering of Beatles in digital sucks (which I believe). 

My first LP bought 30  years ago was Beatles Love Songs (brown cover with beautiful insert of all the songs). Still have this LP all these years later. The sound is just to die for.

Oh when will we get a decent digital remastering of the best rock group of the 20th century? Don't the folks at EMI have any ears?
(03-Sep-2016, 00:33)srima Wrote:

I don't think it's fair to conclude audirvana is 'busted'. Other programs like Dirac and Roon have problems with things like AIR - ie virtual drivers - using exclusive and integer mode. As far as I understand, Devialet don't release the specs for AIR or act very helpfully in general towards developers trying to trouble shoot it with their software. I think audirvana is one guy - so that means he'd probably have to buy an expert himself just to test it. Now I'm not saying the fault doesn't lie with Audirvana, I just think when AIRs concerned, it's a bit unfair to default to blaming the other party.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Audirvana+ works well for me with AIR 3 RC. The only problem I had was when switching between tracks with different sampling rates with Direct Mode selected in A+ when the software would hang. De-select Direct Mode and it works perfectly. Software versions listed in my profile below.

Devialet have developed their own custom method for by-passing the core audio layers in iOS (and equivalent in Windows) and recommend that you shouldn't select 'Direct Mode' with Audirvana etc.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Audirvana + works very well for me on Air3
You need to uncheck integer mode.
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus