Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY wiring of RCA-to-XLR umbilical cable
Hi :

Need some advice from the tech inclined lots ...

Please take a look at the 2 pics below ...

What are your thoughts ??  do lemme know   Smile

[img][Image: schema.jpg][/img][img][Image: image.jpg][/img]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
FWIW - I shared the Devialet diagram with DH Labs - and they were able to wire me a 100 Ohm RCA/XLR cable.

I think that both pics are essentially the same.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(11-Sep-2016, 22:13)baddog Wrote: FWIW - I shared the Devialet diagram with DH Labs - and they were able to wire me a 100 Ohm RCA/XLR cable.

I think that both pics are essentially the same.

wow !!   Thanks for this info. Will contact DH-Labs for the same ...

this takes away my headaches !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
I worked with Greg at DH Labs. D-110 cable. Modified for Devialet with RCA connection on one end. Great folks to work with.

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D110.html

You can specify the length you want. I got .7 meters. FWIW.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
The first version uses a 75Ω coaxial cable and the shield is also a continuous conductors whereas the shield is lifted in the second version. I used this cheap Neutrik adapter http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ci...rs/na2mpmf with my 75Ω coaxial cable the test which input has better sound quality using the same source output: AES or RCA and found that AES sounded much better. So something easy to try!
(12-Sep-2016, 15:50)baddog Wrote: I worked with Greg at DH Labs. D-110 cable. Modified for Devialet with RCA connection on one end. Great folks to work with.

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D110.html

You can specify the length you want. I got .7 meters. FWIW.

Spoke to Greg & he ratified having served many Devialet customers wanting this custom cable. 

I've asked him to make me a 1.5 metres length digital RCA-XLR LINK cable.

Thanks again a TON for all your help ...  

Cheers !!
(12-Sep-2016, 17:05)Music or sound Wrote: The first version uses a 75Ω coaxial cable and the shield is also a continuous conductors whereas the shield is lifted in the second version. I used this cheap Neutrik adapter http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ci...rs/na2mpmf with my 75Ω coaxial cable the test which input has better sound quality using the same source output: AES or RCA and found that AES sounded much better. So something easy to try!

Thanks for your inputs ... 

At this moment, I'm using the Neutrik XLR adapter over the crystal RCA-RCA cable supplied by Devialet to enable the digital link as RCA(master) to XLR(companion) ... 

And no two doubts, it sounds much superior to the standard RCA-RCA version. 

I find the imaging becoming much sharper with a wider yet much more focussed soundstage. The midrange has slightly become more FWD and I will need to try other digital cables to figure out how to fix this ...
(13-Sep-2016, 09:51)audio_engr Wrote:
(12-Sep-2016, 17:05)Music or sound Wrote: The first version uses a 75Ω coaxial cable and the shield is also a continuous conductors whereas the shield is lifted in the second version. I used this cheap Neutrik adapter http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ci...rs/na2mpmf with my 75Ω coaxial cable the test which input has better sound quality using the same source output: AES or RCA and found that AES sounded much better. So something easy to try!

Thanks for your inputs ... 

At this moment, I'm using the Neutrik XLR adapter over the crystal RCA-RCA cable supplied by Devialet to enable the digital link as RCA(master) to XLR(companion) ... 

And no two doubts, it sounds much superior to the standard RCA-RCA version. 

I find the imaging becoming much sharper with a wider yet much more focussed soundstage. The midrange has slightly become more FWD and I will need to try other digital cables to figure out how to fix this ...
Nice to know that you're getting good service from DH Labs, they certainly know how to look after their customers.
What resistance value did you end up going for?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
If you are using dual monos and RCA to XLR sounds better than rca to rca , surely it means that one of the amps sounds "better" ... so which channel should this be applied to .. left or right... ?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(15-Sep-2016, 07:23)Rodney Gold Wrote: If you are using dual monos and RCA to XLR sounds better than rca to rca ,  surely it means that one of the amps sounds "better"  ... so which channel should this be applied to .. left or right... ?

Indeed, you could go crazy thinking about this stuff too much! Sad

However, as the 'master' is working without a cable, the answer to this question has to be the 'right' channel, as the companion runs the right channel which is on the end of a cable.  There may also be some other subtle issues with latency or whatever, who knows?

I certainly prefer my D800 running RCA to XLR, but this is fairly marginal stuff I think.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12