Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY wiring of RCA-to-XLR umbilical cable
Thanks. I reached out to DH Labs. Great customer service. I ordered a 3m 110Ohm cable to test. Will let you know.
Devialet 1000s, Belcanto 600Ms, Vivid Audio Giya G3, C1, V1w and sub, Trinnov AL16, QNAP TVS-471 NAS, Oppo 203, Siltech, Crystal Cable, Synergistic Research
Still no luck.

Tried 3m cable from DH Labs - doesnt work. Great guys though, very responsive and thoughtful.

Contacted Audioprana - they will not make a 3m cable (too long).

Impedance mismatch is causing problems with longer cables. Apparently the higher the frequency the more signal reflections you get, therefore at 192khz sampling rate companion channel goes silent.
Devialet 1000s, Belcanto 600Ms, Vivid Audio Giya G3, C1, V1w and sub, Trinnov AL16, QNAP TVS-471 NAS, Oppo 203, Siltech, Crystal Cable, Synergistic Research
That's unfortunate, sorry to hear that.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
rafal123 - have you considered using an active S/P-DIF to AES converter, with an impedance-matched balanced cable?  Maybe that might work better over the distance you need.  Something like the Mutec MC-1.1+ might do the job...possibly a bit of over-engineering, but the cost is not too high (compared with "audiophile" cables, anyway).  Might be worth having a chat with Mutec and asking them what they think; I've found them very responsive and keen to help.

ETA: I am of course assuming that the signal is using standard protocols...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Feb-2017, 22:03)thumb5 Wrote: rafal123 - have you considered using an active S/P-DIF to AES converter, with an impedance-matched balanced cable?  Maybe that might work better over the distance you need.  Something like the Mutec MC-1.1+ might do the job...possibly a bit of over-engineering, but the cost is not too high (compared with "audiophile" cables, anyway).  Might be worth having a chat with Mutec and asking them what they think; I've found them very responsive and keen to help.

That is a brilliant idea! I have always found the lack of a dedicated (and proprietary) connection between Master and Companion a problem. Thumb's idea may actually solve this problem! A short RCA-RCA from Master to Mutec (maybe the one included with mono amps) and a long XLR-XLR from Mutec to Companion. Let's hope someone will try this and report back their findings to the forum.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks, I will definitely look into it.
Would the mutek add a delay?
Do we know that the protocol between the two units is standard?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(11-Feb-2017, 00:41)Soniclife Wrote: Would the mutek add a delay?
Do we know that the protocol between the two units is standard?

I can confirm that the Mutec will add no delay to the signal. In my living room, I have a Sonos Play going into the Mutec, then into my 440 Pro. In the kitchen I have a Sonos Play going into a Creek CAS4040 (30 years old this year and still going strong!). When I group the living room and kitchen, they are in perfect sync.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(11-Feb-2017, 00:41)Soniclife Wrote: Do we know that the protocol between the two units is standard?

A question to Devialet ought to clear that up. One has to test this anyway, but the Mutec looks at the protocol used (according to the user manual) and has a mode where it passes 'non standard' SPDIF too. Hopefully it will work. There is no re-clocking involved which would introduce latency. I am sure Mutec will respond quickly to a question about any latency through the device.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
With the question of protocol unanswered, it is not clear if the proposed Mutec solution would work.  Something like this offers a simpler alternative:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ae...nsformers/
http://www.canford.co.uk/Index/110-75-oh...converters

I did talk to Devialet's Mathieu Pernod about the optimum solution to the master companion link.  At first he stated that there was basically no difference between the AES/EBU connection and using RCA, but after more detailed discussion he did advise that RCA to AES/EBU connection with a transformer was the optimum solution.  I'm thinking you could try something like the Neutrik transformer with cheap cables as proof of concept.  If this works satisfactorily, then you could get a decent custom cable made with transformer.

There is a very simple solution of course, link using the RCA to RCA method.  NickB has already advised this works without issue.  Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best?  Although I think personally I would try the transformer method, if only out of curiosity, it would be cheap and easy enough to do.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12