Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 7.1.3 vs 8.1.3 vs 10.0.2
(14-Sep-2016, 16:22)rwolters Wrote: Hello All,

I've had a D400 for about the last 18 months and have used several of the firmware updates in that timeframe. However, I've never tried to go back and use an earlier version. I would like to give 7.1.3 a try though. If I do that, do I just use the currently available online Configurator, or is an earlier Configurator required too?

Thanks for your help here.

Bob

Hey Bob!
I haven't tested the latest version yet,
but it was compatible with any configurator version I've tried so far.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Thanks Cylob. One more question. When it comes to using the current Configurator with older firmware, is it necessary to not use features that were not a part of the old firmware? For instance, if you setup the Configurator with a SAM file that can't be used by firmware 7.1.3, does the firmware just ignore that inconsistency, or will that "trip up" the system.

Bob
Hi Bob,

The configurator does tell you that some features are not compatible with the firmware you are using, but it just ignores them.
No problems here.
Four days on FW7 and no intention of going back yet.
Love it!
Devialet 120 - Wilson Sophia - Technics SL-1000 - Rega Apollo - Chromecast
A couple thoughts on this thread.

Firstly, back in the good old 7.1.3 days, it always seamed to be the '7.1.3beta' version that topped the popularity charts. What are folks trying here, the 'beta' or the 'official' 7.1.3?

Secondly, there is no doubt about the popularity of 7.1.3, it does appear to work well in many systems and suit the tastes of many listeners. However, it may not be for all! Initially I very much liked 7.1.3, at the time it was the 'best yet' for me. A while back I did try going back to 7.1.3, and I found it to be a step backwards, a little harsher than the 8.0+ versions, which I find to be smoother, a little more 'real'. OK, my ears, my system, and clearly many others will disagree with this and prefer 7.1.3. This is of course fine, all I am saying is that there are few absolutes here, and versions 8, 9 or 10 may suit others.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(15-Sep-2016, 13:02)Confused Wrote: A couple thoughts on this thread.

Firstly, back in the good old 7.1.3 days, it always seamed to be the '7.1.3beta' version that topped the popularity charts.  What are folks trying here, the 'beta' or the 'official' 7.1.3?

Secondly, there is no doubt about the popularity of 7.1.3, it does appear to work well in many systems and suit the tastes of many listeners.  However, it may not be for all!  Initially I very much liked 7.1.3, at the time it was the 'best yet' for me.  A while back I did try going back to 7.1.3, and I found it to be a step backwards, a little harsher than the 8.0+ versions, which I find to be smoother, a little more 'real'.  OK, my ears, my system, and clearly many others will disagree with this and prefer 7.1.3.  This is of course fine, all I am saying is that there are few absolutes here, and versions 8, 9 or 10 may suit others.

I think I'm just using the official 7.1.3 (7.1.3 CLIENT). Never seen the beta version.
At the time I've bought my Dev 8.1.3 was the current version.
Would love to try the beta as well though. Got that one available?
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Same here!
Think I'll go back to living with FW8 for a while next week, as that's what draw me to the Devialet in the first place.
Who knows, perhaps I can spot some of the same differences that you mention?
It did offer a few more gimmicks which were fun to play around with.
FW7 is more austere.
Devialet 120 - Wilson Sophia - Technics SL-1000 - Rega Apollo - Chromecast
Hi guys,i downloaded firmware 7 and passed few days listening,my step back was from fw10 wich was uploaded for me by devialet france when i sent it back for power switch replacement.Honestly i prefer where i was,sound is more coherent,bass is much better ,almost inexistant in fw7,mids warmer,structure of soundstage much better,3d sound.what i didn t like the most is that the sound was flat,but detailed of course.This is my view in my system of course ,and my conclusion was very easy from the first minute and i gave my self a week to be sure.
thks
I've been moving so much around lately as am demoing speakers and have adjusted my tone settings too, but I've somehow drifted back to 7.1.3 for now and enjoying it. 7.1.1 was always my favourite but there were some bass issues with EQ.

I've also disabled SAM as the demo speakers don't have a profile. With my original speakers back in I've left it disabled and for one prefer it too. I was never convinced it really helped the facts - seemed to make them slightly 'softer' sounding - and it was one more control to obsess about.

I wish they could just keep the sound signatures of all releases available in each firmware. Or jet you have two or three to choose from!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

It is quite clear that 7.1.3 is very system dependent. In spite of what I had planned I did return to 7.1.3 from 9.0.1 a couple of days ago. 9.0.1 has been on my amp for at least 6 months. I believe the 7.1.3 CLIENT is the same as the one we call 7.1.3beta.
On my 250, 7.1.3 has more detail, bigger soundstage, better separation, better imaging and more bass than 9.0.1. It seems more dynamic, but also strangely louder than 9.0.1. To a degree that makes me almost suspicious that there is some form of compression involved. With reduced dynamic range, especially if low level information is amplified, detail will be clearer. I will have to go back to 9.0.1 to check this although I find it highly unlikely that Devialet has released software that includes compression. Even beta software.
Other than that I really hope 10.x on the new v6 Pro hardware will be similar to the character of 7.1.3, but with the refinement of 9.0.1
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(19-Sep-2016, 19:07)ogs Wrote: It seems more dynamic, but also strangely louder than 9.0.1. 

7.1.3 is louder than other firmwares. I think that 7.1.3 is also more analogue sounding that the rest of firmwares. Warmer, nicer, more mids and more relax in sound.