Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet, Roon and Antipodes
I know a few people on here use Antipodes music servers - I bought my DX in March 2015 having become frustrated by Devialet's inability to solve the AIR issue.

The DX became one of Stereophile's products of the year in 2015 and was attractive to me because, rather like the Devialet, everything is in one box: music data, power supply, ripper, ... - just power in, ethernet in and USB out.

Four months ago, in May, Antipodes announced Antipodes DX 2 where they say:

"Roon Labs has released Roon v1.2 which provides us with a full release of Roon on Linux for the first time. We can report that this new release is undoubtedly better sounding and is now by far the best audio quality option with Antipodes servers. We have fully integrated both Roon Server and RoonReady in Antipodes 2, and Roon can be used in three key ways: use Roon direct to a DAC, via USB, S/PDIF, AES3 or TOSLINK; use Roon Server conventionally to serve music to RoonReady and Bridge devices on your network; and use just RoonReady to turn an Antipodes server into the ultimate endpoint.

Roon on an Antipodes server has turned out to not just be the addition of the world's best player GUI interface, but also a clear enhancement to sound quality. In our view, the price of Roon is well worth it on sound quality alone (when you use both Roon Server and RoonReady within the Antipodes, direct to a DAC)."

Tthey have also announced, in July, Antipodes DX Gen 2, which "changes all internal parts (of the original DX) for improved sound, cooler running and increased resources for running intensive processes like Roon database searches."

Regrettably, Antipodes does not have a UK distributor or dealership network in the UK - I bought mine direct from Antipodes in New Zealand on a sale or return basis - but the value is excellent - the DX is the top model and retails at £4,800 for 2TB - which I guess makes it very competitive against Aurender and Melco.

Anyway, given Devialet's pace of progress with their new streaming board, which is a year away I guess, I emailed Antipodes at 10pm last night with questions on changes, facilities, upgrade options and costs (not wanting to commit to any Gen 2 upgrade at present); got a full reply by 10.30pm; sorted a carrier by 11.30pm (they now have a UK service agent - Vortexbox); the service agent called me this morning to discuss any issues I had; the unit was collected at 11.30am and will be back with me on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Upgrade cost: £90, plus £90 licence fees and £90 to migrate my music library if I don't wish to do that myself, which I don't.

So, provided all goes well and results live up to expectations, this is an excellent proposition at a great price.

Mark Jenkins, who owns Roon in New Zealand, and Martin Smith, who represents them through Vortexbox in the UK, could not be more helpful.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I'm surprised at the UK upgrade price.
This is presumably the upgrade Antipodes 1 to Antipodes 2 software which also involves a new motherboard.
Here in Australia we are being charged AUD550.
I am yet to pull the trigger.

Please keep us posted on any perceived sound quality improvement.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
My Antipodes DX has now become an Antipodes DX 2 and is up and running.

Of course, it's pretty well impossible to say whether DX 2 sounds better than DX, though I suspect there might have been a sense of disappointment if it sounded worse - which I think it does not!

The original DX used the Vortexbox GUI with the music playback solution using SqueezeBox Server.

The new DX 2 uses the Antipodes GUI with a choice of eight music playback solutions including Squeezebox Server/Squeezelite and RoonServer/RoonReady.

Upgrade work is done by Vortexbox in the UK, which is run by Martin Smith, based in Tunbridge Wells. His customer service is really fantastic as is his knowledge of the system and all the facilities on it. Highly recommended.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Looking at getting the Antipodes DS base model with 4Tb HDD (can't afford the DS SSD model or DX), and was having a chat with Mark Jenkins regarding the DS HDD models now coming standard with a small SSD (believe it's 120Gb) on top of the HDD. Mark explained that the SSD in the DS model was to keep the Roon guys happy. He didn't think there's a big difference with the sound, but it does help with processing of the Roon database. He said the database may only take 30-40Gb, but needs a bit of extra space to do it's tricks in the background. Doesn't cost Antipodes too much to add a 120Gb SSD to the DS, and so to keep the Roon guys on-side this is now standard on the DS Base model.

Had a look at the DS a few months ago and at that time it was going to cost me extra to add an SSD for the Roon database. Now Mark has added it as standard and hence don't have that extra cost. Actually the units have went up in price, but Pure Music Group (Aus Distributor) true to their word haven't charged me for that as I've been part paying them for the last 6 months prior to getting it (this is my first time getting something from Warwick at PureMusic and he's been an absolute pleasure to deal with and wouldn't hesitate in highly recommending him). So now the DS Standard model has the SSD, and I've put the cost saving into a larger HDD (4Tb). I may not need all of the 4Tb now, but thought I may possibly regret in the future if I don't do the upgrade. In a few years when SSD costs come down maybe then could look at an upgrade to the GT DS (with SSD), or even a 2nd hand DX.

Was also asking Mark about AES output for a DS, but due to space constraints isn't possible to include without losing something else (probably the RCA Stereo Outputs). Seems that it's the dealers who asked for the Analogue stereo outputs to be standard as then gives people the option to connect to a pre-amp, without the need for a DAC as well.

Hoping to get my DS in the next few weeks, and can't wait to see what difference it makes (I've already got a Roon membership, so suffice to say will be running this on the DS). Currently only got a Mac Mini connected to a Stello U3 Convertor via AES cable into my Devialet D-Premiers (AIR is still hit and miss for me). The DS also has SPDIF output (192kHz, and Mark said it's also isolated) so will be using this as my connection to the D-Premiers.

If (more likely when) I do the upgrade of my D-Premiers to a 1000Pro, then can go USB direct from Antipodes to Devialet. Would make sense if I can scrape the pennies together and upgrade to a 1000Pro, and if I can do this prior to end of Year then will get the additional Streamer-board next year (no one knows how the streamer board will go, but can't see it making things worse, and get this thrown in as part of the 1000Pro upgrade now for nothing). If the Streamer-Board end's up being a big hit (and also comes with Roon), then can look at moving on the Antipodes, but in the meantime I've got the DS to make sure my music files can sound the best,

Also grabbed a 2nd hand Longdog Audio 12amp/12V DC PSU, so hoping this will add to the DS SQ

Can't wait to get my new DS  Big Grin
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
Can the Antipodes DX and DS owners running Roon core on the Antipodes comment on the responsiveness of the GUI of the Roon remote application running on an iPad or Android device?

Compared with Roon Core on a Mac Mini, Roon Core on a similarly equipped Dutch ComputerAudioTransport Reference worked really slow with the need to search an album (internal HDD or Tidal) up to 20 seconds. The CAT Reference did not have an SSD for the Roon software and database though.
QNAP 653 - MacMini - Roon - AIR 3b - Meicord UTP cables - D400 - Graditech Voima 1- Nordost Heimdall 2 - Harbeth Super HL5 Plus on Townshend Seismic Podiums
(06-Oct-2016, 17:23)IanG-UK Wrote: My Antipodes DX has now become an Antipodes DX 2 and is up and running.

Of course, it's pretty well impossible to say whether DX 2 sounds better than DX, though I suspect there might have been a sense of disappointment if it sounded worse - which I think it does not!

The original DX used the Vortexbox GUI with the music playback solution using SqueezeBox Server.

The new DX 2 uses the Antipodes GUI with a choice of eight music playback solutions including Squeezebox Server/Squeezelite and RoonServer/RoonReady.

Upgrade work is done by Vortexbox in the UK, which is run by Martin Smith, based in Tunbridge Wells. His customer service is really fantastic as is his knowledge of the system and all the facilities on it. Highly recommended.

Hi Ian sounds like it's time to give Roon a spin  Wink

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(07-Oct-2016, 08:35)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(06-Oct-2016, 17:23)IanG-UK Wrote: My Antipodes DX has now become an Antipodes DX 2 and is up and running.

Guillaume

Once you go Roon there is no turning back.....I dont regret buying a lifetime Roon for one second Smile
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(07-Oct-2016, 09:02)octaviars Wrote:
(07-Oct-2016, 08:35)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Once you go Roon there is no turning back.....I dont regret buying a lifetime Roon for one second Smile

Lifetimer here also (and that's before I get my DS). Integration with Tidal is +++, if only they could add Spotify, Qobuz, etc., then they really would open up a far bigggggger market.
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(07-Oct-2016, 12:59)Celts88 Wrote:
(07-Oct-2016, 09:02)octaviars Wrote:
(07-Oct-2016, 08:35)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi Ian sounds like it's time to give Roon a spin  Wink

Guillaume

Lifetimer here also (and that's before I get my DS). Integration with Tidal is +++, if only they could add Spotify, Qobuz, etc., then they really would open up a far bigggggger market.

I know Roon have talked about Qobuz on their forum but I dont recall exactly what it was they said about it.

I know some who would like to have both Spotify and Tidal, perhaps in the future.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Qobuz situation (summarising) is - Roon finally got persuaded and Qobuz aren't interested.

I started a feature request on qobuz support a year ago about Roon integration and it got a lot of votes.
A year later they replied saying it was planned - yet what they said in their reply was 'they planned to add Roon-like features to the Qobuz App'. Go figure. Massive opportunity missed IMO.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<