Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Room correction
@ogs , There are some other things you can do.

There's lots of things which can give you some of the benefits of physical room treatment while being living room friendly. Things like curtains and fabric blinds over windows reduce reflections, bookcases full of books can break up reflections to some degree but books also absorb a fair bit and in a small room absorption is probably more helpful than diffusion if it's used in the right places. Sofas and chairs with firm foam cushioning help. Putting furniture in corners can help to break up corner problems. If you're placing things like pictures or furniture on opposite walls, don't put similar sized objects exactly opposite each other, put them a little off exactly opposite each other because that helps to break up and scatter reflections Carpet helps but if you have a hard floor, say wood or tiles, putting a rug on the floor between you and the speakers. For things like rugs and curtains/blinds, natural fabrics are preferable to synthetic fibres.

Lots of things have an acoustic effect besides those devices sold as acoustic treatments. Proper acoustic treatments are usually more effective but things like those I mentioned above all do help and that's where I started out back in the days before I had a room I could treat the way I wanted to treat it. With a bit of imagination and work you can achieve a great deal if you go about it carefully. I'm always surprised at how much you can actually achieve without buying acoustic treatment products of any kind, simply by using normal furniture and furnishing items and choosing them with an eye towards their acoustic effect as well as their comfort and appearance.

It doesn't matter if you have your system set up in a living room or a dedicated listening room, every setup is a compromise in some ways. There are no perfect setups. Having the system in a living room imposes restrictions on what you can and can't do and that always leads to compromises but in some ways it also makes things a lot easier. Keeping the speakers and listening position a bit away from walls and corners is a good starting point. I find left/right symmetry of speaker placement helps, and asymmetric placement of furniture/pictures/etc on opposite walls also helps a fair bit. Just by paying attention to those things can make huge differences if your system is in a living room and you can still have a room that the rest of the family is happy with as well.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia