Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Room correction
(12-Aug-2015, 13:42)markush Wrote: I just wrote to support about the current status of room correction, app update and providing upnp / dialog support for expert line. Let's see Smile

I recently had my speakers SAMed with SAMlab and asked the above questions.

Room correction is not on their immediate to do list. They know how much everyone wants it but there are many other priorities before it at the moment.

App won't be updated it seems. The solution will most likely be incorporated into spark which will mean we need to wait for dialog to be compatible with expert. Forgot to ask how far away compatibility is Sad
(24-Aug-2015, 09:08)wikeeboy Wrote:
(12-Aug-2015, 13:42)markush Wrote: I just wrote to support about the current status of room correction, app update and providing upnp / dialog support for expert line. Let's see Smile

I recently had my speakers SAMed with SAMlab and asked the above questions.

Room correction is not on their immediate to do list. They know how much everyone wants it but there are many other priorities before it at the moment.

App won't be updated it seems. The solution will most likely be incorporated into spark which will mean we need to wait for dialog to be compatible with expert. Forgot to ask how far away compatibility is Sad

The latest I had from Devialet, re dialog/expert compatibility, was that "the compatibility of Dialog with Expert is now planned more for 2016". That was in an e-mail of 21 August, no indication of when in 2016 was given Exclamation. I am arranging to return my Dialogue given continuing uncertainty Sad.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Just got a reply from Devialet:
==
This articles concerns Phantom. Both Phantom and our Expert line will have different use purpose and thus different developments.
We expect to provide room correction for Experts, sooner than for Phantom.
==
So many will appreciate that and I am eager to see this coming.
I don't see a connection between a control app for the expert line and Spark. That would suggest that in order to change settings on my D250 I would have to buy a Dialog even if I don't want to stream from it, which sounds a bit nuts. The existing remote is already getting difficult with the extra features Devialet keep adding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(24-Aug-2015, 08:28)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'm hoping to test a Trinnov Amethyst in my setup soon so will report back on its room correction capabilities (which are supposed to be best in class). As it is a UPnP streamer/renderer (among a million other things!) I will be able to feed it directly into the Devialet.

For those that aren't familiar with the Amethyst see this:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/trinnov...st-preamp/

I've heard some very positive reports across the Channel of others using the Amethyst with a Devialet. It's certainly got me very curious indeed!   

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

If you need help, I will be very happy to participate. I own an Amethyst and a ST2-H. I have setup several systems with Trinnov products.
There are some (very easy) modifications to make on the default options. As the max + correction which can produce digital distorsion as a lot of albums do not respect the -6dB headroom.

The phase and the impulse response corrections are the most impressive. To my knowledge, they do not exist on any other correction system.The keypoint of Trinnov is their four microphones measurement device which allows timings and reflections measurements on 360°  

Passive treatment remains mandatory. No correction is possible for flutter echos or nodes.
But passive treatment cannot do anything on phase and impulse response which have dramatic effects.

For connection on Devialet, my advice is to use a digital AES outout on the Amethyst, and use the Amethyst  as a digital upnp drive, not using its analog outputs (very very good DAC by the way, and preamplifier). As a digital drive, it is at the same "quality level" as d1-server or Bel Canto Refstream. 

Other reviews:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/trinnov/1.html
And in french (same reviewer) http://www.audiophile-magazine.com/bancs...-amethyst/

For all network connected audio products, I strongly recommand an "optical bridge" ( about 100€) that is currently the most efficient way (and also the cheapestest one) to get rid of all electrical pollution of computers, switches, etc , ahead the audio, and that go through RJ45 cable. 
If you are interested, open a thread about it, I will provide all needed information.

Cheers
S1:  Totaldac d1-server, Trinnov ST2-H, Ayon S5, Orpheus Lab 3M, Klinger Favre D56
S2: Trinnov Amethyst,  Ayon Odin III, TAD Evolution One
(24-Aug-2015, 15:38)ThierryNK Wrote:
(24-Aug-2015, 08:28)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'm hoping to test a Trinnov Amethyst in my setup soon so will report back on its room correction capabilities (which are supposed to be best in class). As it is a UPnP streamer/renderer (among a million other things!) I will be able to feed it directly into the Devialet.

I've heard some very positive reports across the Channel of others using the Amethyst with a Devialet. It's certainly got me very curious indeed!   

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

If you need help, I will be very happy to participate. I own an Amethyst and a ST2-H. I have setup several systems with Trinnov products.
There are some (very easy) modifications to make on the default options. As the max + correction which can produce digital distorsion as a lot of albums do not respect the -6dB headroom.

The phase and the impulse response corrections are the most impressive. To my knowledge, they do not exist on any other correction system.The keypoint of Trinnov is their four microphones measurement device which allows timings and reflections measurements on 360°  

Passive treatment remains mandatory. No correction is possible for flutter echos or nodes.
But passive treatment cannot do anything on phase and impulse response which have dramatic effects.

For connection on Devialet, my advice is to use a digital AES outout on the Amethyst, and use the Amethyst  as a digital upnp drive, not using its analog outputs (very very good DAC by the way, and preamplifier). As a digital drive, it is at the same "quality level" as d1-server or Bel Canto Refstream. 

Other reviews:
And in french (same reviewer) http://www.audiophile-magazine.com/bancs...-amethyst/

For all network connected audio products, I strongly recommand an "optical bridge" ( about 100€) that is currently the most efficient way (and also the cheapestest one) to get rid of all electrical pollution of computers, switches, etc , ahead the audio, and that go through RJ45 cable. 
If you are interested, open a thread about it, I will provide all needed information.

Cheers

Thank you Thierry Smile  Yes I am very intrigued to see what the Amethyst can do in my system. The optimiser software seems quite intuitive and powerful from the screenshots I have seen. Hopefully the unit will be with me on the 1st September so I will be in touch if I have any queries.

Regarding passive treatment I have a number of GIK corner bass traps from floor to ceiling in the front left and right corners. I also have a couple of stand mounted GIK monster bass traps with range limiter and integrated scatter plates. Because my listening room also doubles up as a cinema I normally position these two in the middle of the front wall (so between the speakers and against the cinema screen) when listening to music. The one thing I have not addressed are the first reflections.

Re ethernet isolators please see here:
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...ors#pid581

I am already using the Totaldac ethernet cable with its long "choke" but haven't tried an isolator yet.

I see that in one of your systems you are using the ST2-H with the totaldac d1 server, would there be any benefit in considering this approach?

Cheers

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hello Guillaume

I have Gisos and Totaldac ethernet cables. Optical bridge is just a killer in comparison, for much much less money.

For Drive-ST2-H, it is a question of budget and opportunities...
ST2-H has the same correction software,, but no ethernet input and a not as good DAC as the Amethyst, less digital outputs also.
Needs 2 AES connections. Drive-ST2-H-DAC.

Cheers

Edit: OK, the first post on your link, is about optical bridge.
S1:  Totaldac d1-server, Trinnov ST2-H, Ayon S5, Orpheus Lab 3M, Klinger Favre D56
S2: Trinnov Amethyst,  Ayon Odin III, TAD Evolution One
(24-Aug-2015, 15:38)ThierryNK Wrote:

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

Other reviews:

Cheers

The Trinnov Amethyst is apparently much more sophisticated than Devialet. I am especially impressed by its cross-over implementation relative to Devialet (which I use). Also the acoustic room mapping (including its tetrahedral measurement microphone array) is very impressive.
I am still convinced no matter how advanced, correcting loudspeaker output can never correct room acoustics. Room acoustics is a 3d reality and one can correct for one single point in that room. But the room mapping function would also allow to optimize speaker and listening position by non electronic means (also helpful with the placement of musical instruments).
Hi Everyone,

I will love for the Phantom to have room correction too.

I see a couple days ago a room correction mechanism proposed by Sonos called TruePlay and from the first video I see emerge from internet it's exactly what we need for our Phantom.

Basically the app create a filter for the room and then apply it to the speaker.

I will really love to see this kind of feature soon in the Phantom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw66H_SlP6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGN6wS6yIYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTr18m13MOM

Cheers,
More and more companies have already provided room correction to their audio products! As you mentioned recently Sonos or LINN with Space Optimization. You may also write to support and tell your need. The more votes the higher priority it receives.