Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uptone LPS-1 goes on sale am today - California time.
Mailout below.

Probably a silly question but anyone getting one?

I'd just ordered a Paul Hynes, do not sure whether to get this as well and do my own shootout, or loan the Sr3 to someone who gets an LPS-1 to do a shootout. Not sure I can really justify both. Damn that timing!

---------

We are pleased to announce that tomorrow morning (Tuesday, September 27) at 9:00 a.m. California time, the uptoneaudio.com website will begin accepting orders for the world’s first bank-switching, microprocessor-controlled, ultracapacitor-based, external linear power supply, the UltraCap LPS-1.

Over a year in development—with all engineering and programming by my dear friend and partner, the brilliant John Swenson—this groundbreaking new power supply will redefine considerations and expectations about what is important in audio power supply design.

Ultracapacitors (often called supercapacitors) are unique and somewhat new high-energy density storage devices, and can be thought of as a cross between batteries and traditional capacitors. While they are now finding use in electric cars, medical devices, and many other demanding circuits, they have never been designed as the heart of an external DC power supply for audio components as we have done with the UltraCap LPS-1.

You can read more details on the technical features and benefits of the LPS-1 at UltraCap™ LPS-1 – UpTone Audio.

Here are some highlights of this fascinating new power supply:
*100% galvanic isolation from the AC mains at all times. The output of the LPS-1 is NEVER connected to the “energizing/charging” supply that feeds it. Its sophisticated bank-switching/charging circuitry and logic charges one string of ultracapacitors (60 Farads worth!) while the other string supplies a cascade of ultra-low-noise output regulators.

*The LPS-1 is like a miniature power plant. You could think of it like a battery supply—but without all the disadvantages of batteries. It silently charges and discharges its banks—and can do so millions of times without wearing out.

*The LPS-1 completely blocks the path of AC leakage currents from entering into the portion of your audio system it is connected to. This is a complex and not broadly understood area, but our research—and likely some of your own component listening experiments—proves that reducing leakage currents and loops is one of the most important final steps to improving audio system performance.

The UltraCap LPS-1, our first application of this exciting new technology, has a single output and a switch permitting you to choose between 3.3 volts, 5 volts, and 7 volts. Maximum output current is 1.1 amps.
It will be an excellent choice for powering a wide range of audio and computer devices. Examples include: UpTone's own very popular USB REGEN, the Sonore MicroRendu, small DACs and headphone amps, USB>S/PDIF converters, specialty computer USB cards, SSDs, fibre media converters, the PS Audio LANRover, and many others.

Our own comparative testing with the UltraCap LPS-1 has been very satisfying, and we can’t wait for everyone else to discover how this small but mighty component will enhance their musical pleasure.

The price for the innovative UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 is US$395, and we back the product with a 3-year warranty.

Production has begun and the first 150 units will begin shipping by October 14th. Fast and affordable worldwide delivery options are offered.

Orders will be filled in the order they are placed via our secure web site. It is expected that this first mid-October batch will sell out very quickly, so please set your alarms for tomorrow morning (or whatever time it will be for you when it is 9:00 a.m. in California).

Don’t worry, if you miss out on the first ones, we are gearing up for more production in the weeks following. However, as with the wildly successful US REGEN, demand is likely to exceed monthly supply for some time. So placing an advance order is always a wise choice.

Please join us and other friendly audiophiles in our sponsored forum area at ComputerAudiophile.com. UpTone Audio (Sponsored)
It is a great place to learn, ask questions, and have a good time on your own audio/music adventure.

Many thanks for your interest, your business, and your enthusiasm.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Crespi

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

No, but just got a MCRU one for the Rendu and it is very, very good.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(27-Sep-2016, 11:47)NickB Wrote: No, but just got a MCRU one for the Rendu and it is very, very good.

Were you using the iFi previously?  Does the MCRU actually provide an audible improvement in your view?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
No was using the standard one, then a Chinese linear PSU then just got the MCRU one and from initial switch on it is cleaner, clearer and with firmer bass. Should improve with age just like me Cool
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Anyway, yes, I am very tempted by the UltraCap LPS-1. For me, I do want something better than the iFi to power my microRendu, plus I am beginning to think that there is something in this approach to isolation and breaking leakage paths etc. So the LPS-1 does appeal to me.

Normally I take a very patient and conservative approach with new stuff like this that I cannot audition myself. Rather than jumping in to be first to order from the first batch, I am normally happy to wait, see what the early reports look like, see if there are any negatives with reliability, build quality or whatever. Having said that, I see the LPS-1 as being relatively low risk in this regard, so I might just have a week moment and order!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I am also seriously considering the LPS-1.  Currently using the iFi iPower with my uRendu.   It sounds great but the promise of further SQ improvement is always compelling.  I may just wait for the initial round of reviews, but - like the uRendu anticipation - I'm quite confident that it will do exactly what it claims.

A noteworthy point... AIR3 Beta has proven far more stable for me.  While I slightly prefer the uRendu over AIR3 in my system, it's close and if AIR3 Beta had been released prior to the uRendu (i.e. if AIR had worked!) , I doubt I would have bought the uRendu at all.   What has me on the fence is thinking about how much better my Devialet may sound with a better power supply on the uRendu.

Too many choices, too little information (so far), too little money.   Huh
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(27-Sep-2016, 14:23)mdconnelly Wrote: ....
A noteworthy point... AIR3 Beta has proven far more stable for me.  While I slightly prefer the uRendu over AIR3 in my system, it's close and if AIR3 Beta had been released prior to the uRendu (i.e. if AIR had worked!) , I doubt I would have bought the uRendu at all.   What has me on the fence is thinking about how much better my Devialet may sound with a better power supply on the uRendu.

Quite a lot of us in the same boat I suppose. The AIR3 beta doesn't work reliably for me, but to be honest I was happy with the SQ of AIR2 - if only it worked! Anyway, won't go there, but since I've gone rendu I like it for a few reasons:
-if I change amplifier I'll still have a good source.
-it's more flexible and allows HQPlayer and connection to Linux server (should I ever venture down either)
-there's much less buffer lag than AIR.

The only real downsides are it's more clutter, cost, and can't be used directly for Mac playback (Qobuz or whatever).

So I might as well see if I can push the SQ a bit more (assuming it's not an urban myth)

Haven't heard a peep out of Paul Hynes since I paid my money - not even a confirmation - so after reading a whole host of stuff over at CA I am getting a bit nervous to be honest. Plus it was more expensive than the LPS-1! I do only have two sockets next to my hifi so it does save me having to use an extension lead which I'd need with the LPS-1 as I'd need the ifi too to power it. That said I did look at a power conditioner today.... Must stop myself or it will never end.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Wow, looks like it was popular!! Who got one? (I held firm and didn't try)

Quote:Orders for the revolutionary new UltraCap LPS-1 are now being taken. The first 150 units sold out in the first 10 minutes. Another 100 boards are now on order, so if you order now delivery will be by the end-of-October. THANK YOU!!

(27-Sep-2016, 20:31)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Wow, looks like it was popular!! Who got one? (I held firm and didn't try)

Quote:Orders for the revolutionary new UltraCap LPS-1 are now being taken. The first 150 units sold out in the first 10 minutes. Another 100 boards are now on order, so if you order now delivery will be by the end-of-October. THANK YOU!!

Not me.  I showed amazing restraint!  (well, that and by the time I checked, they had already sold out the first 150).  I suspect that come late October when everyone starts raving about them, I'll invariably jump.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(27-Sep-2016, 20:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(27-Sep-2016, 14:23)mdconnelly Wrote: ....

Quite a lot of us in the same boat I suppose. The AIR3 beta doesn't work reliably for me, but to be honest I was happy with the SQ of AIR2 - if only it worked!  Anyway, won't go there, but since I've gone rendu I like it for a few reasons:
-if I change amplifier I'll still have a good source.
-it's more flexible and allows HQPlayer and connection to Linux server (should I ever venture down either)
-there's much less buffer lag than AIR.

The only real downsides are it's more clutter, cost, and can't be used directly for Mac playback (Qobuz or whatever).

So I might as well see if I can push the SQ a bit more (assuming it's not an urban myth)

Haven't heard a peep out of Paul Hynes since I paid my money - not even a confirmation - so after reading a whole host of stuff over at CA I am getting a bit nervous to be honest. Plus it was more expensive than the LPS-1! I do only have two sockets next to my hifi so it does save me having to use an extension lead which I'd need with the LPS-1 as I'd need the ifi too to power it. That said I did look at a power conditioner today.... Must stop myself or it will never end.....

I was fully committed to microRendu and had my mind set on LPS-1...until a week ago. I'd previously dismissed AIR due to instability and lag, but tried AIR3 on mac mini a week ago and was positively surprised. First, it seems to be stable, 2nd I do not have the same annoinng buffering lag and 3rd, sound quality seems to be very good. I really have not come around to do serious comparison between AIR3 and microRendu (with ifi SMPS), but my initial tests didn't put any of them miles apart from the other.

I'll do some more serious testing when I find time. It might be interesting to compare the mR w/ LPS-1 against AIR3, but as of now I am not sure if I will use money to test that out, given that AIR3 keeps up with the initial impression.

Anyway, just wanted to let Hifi_swlon know that in my setup the buffer lag is not an issue any longer with AIR3
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)