Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next-generation Devialet
Remember that 'upmarket' in pricing terms will be around £30k, 50% more than the 800. Technical advantages probably minor, sonic advantages probably questionable and market volume probably minor too.

A Devialet 75 (or whatever) at £3,200 might open up more markets but probably not a lot. I suggest that in commercial terms the Devialet phono/pre/power/dac/wifi proposition is done. The source market is a possibility but I would bet diversification into wider markets which can use their technology is their real focus. Here the opportunities are potentially huge.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Perhaps a major aspect of the existing Devialet products is to act as a sophisticated and high-visibility way to introduce and demonstrate technology (ADH, SAM, whatever next) that can be licenced to a wide range of other audio equipment makers?

I understand the earlier comment about the difficulties of "making it" in markets such as in-car audio, but it seems to me that small physical size, high efficiency and complex signal processing capabilities are all very attractive features for that market.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(07-Oct-2014, 15:08)IanG-UK Wrote: Remember that 'upmarket' in pricing terms will be around £30k, 50% more than the 800. Technical advantages probably minor, sonic advantages probably questionable and market volume probably minor too.

A Devialet 75 (or whatever) at £3,200 might open up more markets but probably not a lot. I suggest that in commercial terms the Devialet phono/pre/power/dac/wifi proposition is done. The source market is a possibility but I would bet diversification into wider markets which can use their technology is their real focus. Here the opportunities are potentially huge.

Reputedly Linn's best selling product is the Majik DSM which retails at just under £3k. It's a streamer, phono, pre and power all-in-one and is rated at 90W. I have the previous generation MDS-I and it works rather well. My guess is that a sub £3k box would sell well. Actually I'd probably price it at £2,500 or less.

Not sure I understand your point re upmarket pricing?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Guillaume it's just on the simple guide that something often needs to be around 50% up on price from the previous best extant model to create the impression for many that it is materially better. There's probably a 'limited edition' guide as well which might be anything from two to five times depending on exclusivity. It will be interesting to see how Sennheiser price their Orpheus electrostatic headphones, probably a very limited 'exclusive' run, to temp folks away from their Stax SR009s!

(07-Oct-2014, 15:20)thumb5 Wrote: Perhaps a major aspect of the existing Devialet products is to act as a sophisticated and high-visibility way to introduce and demonstrate technology (ADH, SAM, whatever next) that can be licenced to a wide range of other audio equipment makers?

I understand the earlier comment about the difficulties of "making it" in markets such as in-car audio, but it seems to me that small physical size, high efficiency and complex signal processing capabilities are all very attractive features for that market.

Exactly. And in cellphones too. They are looking to eventually price the ADH module ex-factory at under $1 which makes it affordable in both markets.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I think a source component would be the ticket.. Some kind of Devialet Streamer similar to a Aurunder
(27-Oct-2014, 21:26)ErikM Wrote: I think a source component would be the ticket.. Some kind of Devialet Streamer similar to a Aurunder

In my opinion they shouldn't bring out any new boxes! Devialet should be as it is now, an all in one solution. I think they need to optimize the Air software in a way Damian is doing with Audirvana 2.0: Bring out a complete software player made by Devialet themselves, which can talk directly to Air inside the Devialet. This way they can create a complete Devialet-only solution without any 3 party intervention. Also they can add other modules later like room correction to it, the same way they keep up giving us users new functions every 6 months like they have been doing right now.

In an even more distant future, they should make this software available to more devices next to the computer like a TV, receiver, tablet or phone to let it function as the "translator" to your Devialet, just like airplay or how you select the HDMI output on your audio equipment. Also they should make Air work with video. (Sync audio with video automatically) Devialet will be your device for all your media entertainment: "One day everyone will own a Devialet"
Stereo: Sonus Faber Amati Futura - Graphite -> Yter Loudspeaker Cable -> Devialet D250 - Chrome -> LessLoss DFPC Orginal Powercord
Source: Mac Mini -> Devialet Air Ethernet
Control: iPad Air / iPhone 5S -> Apple Remote
I think I will wait at least a year if/when Devialet releases a streaming device to let them iron out the kinks before I try it... (sorry for being sarcastic Big Grin Wink)

And now serious, I'm very interested in learning what kind of source/streaming solution they're coming up with. The possibilities are endless with the main categories being: separate software solution, updated current software solution, Devialet add in card to replace the current DUET card, fully separate streaming device. Implementation options for each of these categories are again endless.

The competition is immensely fierce though so I hope that it is something revolutionary/really smart. I think no one needs another external streaming device on the market unless it's really tailored to the Devialet or exceptionally good in performance.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(28-Oct-2014, 14:53)Antoine Wrote: I think I will wait at least a year if/when Devialet releases a streaming device to let them iron out the kinks before I try it... (sorry for being sarcastic Big Grin Wink)

And now serious, I'm very interested in learning what kind of source/streaming solution they're coming up with. The possibilities are endless with the main categories being: separate software solution, updated current software solution, Devialet add in card to replace the current DUET card, fully separate streaming device. Implementation options for each of these categories are again endless.

The competition is immensely fierce though so I hope that it is something revolutionary/really smart. I think no one needs another external streaming device on the market unless it's really tailored to the Devialet or exceptionally good in performance.

Spot on! What we don't want is an external streaming box that does what the other streamers on the market do and just trades on the Devialet name.

I hope that they add extra functionality or ease of use to the existing soft/hardware.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(28-Oct-2014, 15:19)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(28-Oct-2014, 14:53)Antoine Wrote: I think I will wait at least a year if/when Devialet releases a streaming device to let them iron out the kinks before I try it... (sorry for being sarcastic Big Grin Wink)

Spot on! What we don't want is an external streaming box that does what the other streamers on the market do and just trades on the Devialet name.

I hope that they add extra functionality or ease of use to the existing soft/hardware.

I think it is highly unlikely that Devialet will develop a new streaming box, there are already lots of those on the market. My guess is that they need to simplify the whole installation process à la Sonos. That way if they come out with a "baby" Devialet it will have a better chance of penetrating the mass market. We already know that they are working on UPnP so this could be part of it too. Of course this may necessitate some kind of hardware upgrade to the existing units, as Antoine has suggested above. Who knows?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Perhaps they could develop a nice looking turntable Big Grin

On a more serious note, perhaps there is a market for a surround version of the amplifier. Going forwards with the idea I sketched on page 2 for a truly modulair design by simply adding more channels (and speaker terminals). Of course they would have to add a HDMI board (but that is already developed). Since the main board can process SAM, multichannel should be doable processing power wise.

Another thought occurred to me: developing a active speaker system using the ADH technology.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands