Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is how we want our Expert amplifiers to sound!
The David Berning 211/845 monoblocks should be the reference for future Devialet development. Even if ADH is solid state it should be capable of approaching 211/845 in sound quality. Are you listening Devialet?

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...amplifier/
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(05-Oct-2016, 16:53)ogs Wrote: The David Berning 211/845 monoblocks should be the reference for future Devialet development. Even if ADH is solid state it should be capable of approaching 211/845 in sound quality. Are you listening Devialet?

So long as Devialet dont also charge $75 000 a pair.....
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
OK, each to his own.  However, if my next Devialet produced 60 wpc and ran at 3% THD, I for one would be a bit grumpy. Angel

The reviewer also states; 'The bottom end is well defined and satisfying (surprisingly so), but not the last word in authority and dynamics'. 

Ummm.  I'm quite keen on my bottom end..... Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(05-Oct-2016, 16:53)ogs Wrote: The David Berning 211/845 monoblocks should be the reference for future Devialet development. Even if ADH is solid state it should be capable of approaching 211/845 in sound quality. Are you listening Devialet?

Why don't you just buy them instead?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(05-Oct-2016, 18:01)NickB Wrote:

Why don't you just buy them instead?

For 75000 USD? No way!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(05-Oct-2016, 17:39)Confused Wrote: OK, each to his own.  However, if my next Devialet produced 60 wpc and ran at 3% THD, I for one would be a bit grumpy. Angel

The reviewer also states; 'The bottom end is well defined and satisfying (surprisingly so), but not the last word in authority and dynamics'. 

Ummm.  I'm quite keen on my bottom end..... Shy

No, full Devialet qualities with bass and power, and the price of course.
Devialetless!
Oddly enough, reading through the review, a lot of what the reviewer has written reminds me of the audition I had of the 1000 Pro. The reviewer signs off stating it is the finest amplifier he has ever heard, I'm guessing he's another one who haven't listened to a Pro yet! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
An Absolute Sound established reviewer is loaned a $75k amplifier from a credible (possibly advertising) manufacturer for an extended period and writes a "best thing since sliced bread" review - which most envious readers love to hear about; and most super-rich purchasers love to show off to their friends, and show them the review.

Every stakeholder is happy!

Click on one of the featured articles at the side of the Berning review, that of the Magico M3, and you get a pretty much equivalent comment for another $75k product.

No serious comparatives in either review, as is the norm with most magazines these days.

Good entertainment value but little more, in my opinion.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(14-Oct-2016, 08:12)IanG-UK Wrote: An Absolute Sound established reviewer is loaned a $75k amplifier from a credible (possibly advertising) manufacturer for an extended period and writes a "best thing since sliced bread" review - which most envious readers love to hear about; and most super-rich purchasers love to show off to their friends, and show them the review.

Every stakeholder is happy!

Click on one of the featured articles at the side of the Berning review, that of the Magico M3, and you get a pretty much equivalent comment for another $75k product.

No serious comparatives in either review, as is the norm with most magazines these days.

Good entertainment value but little more, in my opinion.

I share your scepticism towards the audiophile press. When so much money is involved, 'paid-for' opinion is most likely quite common.
When it comes to the Berning amps I have noted that the smaller stereo models also get generally good reviews. Maybe the monoblocks are as good as he says, but if I had $75k to spend on amps I'd probably go for an O d'A or two and still have money left for fancy cables or new speakers!
Devialetless!

Good grief, would you trade in your ultra modern Tesla autonomous driving car for a bullock cart driven by two mangy cows? That's what the Berning amplifier design sounds to me like. A huge step backwards in every respect, designed by a tube aficionado who has been building tube amplifiers his entire life, never learned to adjust to modern solid state integrated circuit designs, and wants to rip people off. Honestly, the gullibility of high end audio folks never ceases to amaze me (and explains a lot about why Trump is so popular). 75000 for a pair of tube amplifiers that produces 60 watts at high levels of harmonic distortion. That's like walking into a Lexus shop where they charge you $500,000 for this special car driven by two cows, goes at 4 mph, and consumes no gasoline or electrical power (need grass to feed the cows, though!). 

Robert Harley is a typical example of a high end audio reviewer who changes his "absolute best sound reference amplifier" by the month, depending on who loans him equipment, and who advertises in TAS. Stereophile is no exception to this sad story. 

Whereas high end video is marching towards 4K, quantum dot displays, HDR, and many other innovations, high end audio is stuck in the 1940s still. Devialet is a rare exception to this trend.