Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etalon ethernet isolator.
(19-Jan-2018, 17:30)rwjr44 Wrote: I use an Aurender N10 to play music via an USB cable to my D200, will this Etalon be useful to me?

No, not really, unless you have anything else connected by Ethernet. For USB, try the Intona, which gives galvanic isolation and in my system gave good results. Find out more here:https://intona.eu/en/products
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(19-Jan-2018, 04:20)Axel Wrote:
(18-Jan-2018, 18:20)nkbg Wrote: Has anyone added an Etalon to a FMC setup? 

Adding the optical isolation and powering it with a quality LPS was a big step up in sound quality for me. I preferred it to the Berkeley Alpha USB to AES convertor route but would love to minimize gizmo and power supply boxes from the living room!

There are a few user reviews online comparing FMC and Etalon setups. The general consensus seems to come down in favour of the Etalon. It is certainly a more "tidy" solution, being passive and therefore not requiring a power supply, whereas the FMCs require power to both converters. Again, most of these reviews are in French and I find Google Translate does a good job of the translation.

Thanks Axel. I’ll check those out.
• Devialet 400 + Magico Q1
(20-Jan-2018, 03:59)Axel Wrote:
(19-Jan-2018, 17:30)rwjr44 Wrote: I use an Aurender N10 to play music via an USB cable to my D200, will this Etalon be useful to me?

No, not really, unless you have anything else connected by Ethernet. For USB, try the Intona, which gives galvanic isolation and in my system gave good results. Find out more here:https://intona.eu/en/products

@rwjr44 - I am a little intrigued that you are using your N10 via USB.  Have you tried it via AES/EBU?  Axel is correct, the Etalon will not help in your set up, but a good way to avoid any issues with USB is not to use USB at all.   Maybe you have tried both USB and AES/EBU and preferred USB?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Jan-2018, 03:59)Axel Wrote:

Thank you.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
When you buy the Etalon, they supply a 10cm Ethernet patch cable, which looks pretty cheap. I’m using this between my switch and the Etalon. Has anyone tried replacing this cable? I am trying to find a decent quality cable of the same length and would appreciate any pointers to a suitable replacement.
Edit: I have bought a 25cm Cat7 cable on eBay, but will have to check the quality when I receive it (looks pretty good though and the specs are good).
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(23-Jan-2018, 02:46)Axel Wrote: When you buy the Etalon, they supply a 10cm Ethernet patch cable, which looks pretty cheap. I’m using this between my switch and the Etalon. Has anyone tried replacing this cable? I am trying to find a decent quality cable of the same length and would appreciate any pointers to a suitable replacement.
Edit: I have bought a 25cm Cat7 cable on eBay, but will have to check the quality when I receive it (looks pretty good though and the specs are good).

the cable with the etalon is'nt shielded and have to be placed after it - between the etalon and the streamer/dev - not before
I replaced it with a good quality cable like this one
but to be honest I have a better result with a 75cm audioquest vodka
Roon ROCK - Silent Angel Bonn 8 with Forester F1 - 220 Pro - Penaudio Sara S
Crystal Cable Reference Speaker - Audioquest Vodka Ethernet - Audioquest Tornado
Paris - France