Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FW 10.0.5 is out... what's new?
Thanks, I hope to find time to listen again to 7.1.3
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
(11-Oct-2016, 15:34)ledesc Wrote: Thanks, I hope to find time to listen again to 7.1.3

In the review section there's a topic with a link to a review a friend of mine wrote about 7.1.3 compared to the newer firmwares on our systems.
Might be interesting for you!

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3439
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
I quickly installed 10.0.5 ok so far, directly listen to it a couple of minutes. Then I tried 7.1.3, I immediatly found the soundstage a little less stable, more compact also. I can understand also what can be for less digital for some systems.
Then I revert to 10.0.5, and yes for me it's more detailed, precise and I do not feel it digital with my configuration.
Then again 7.1.3, and now 10.0.5, ok also a difference in the bass, more "presence" with v10, and an overall good balance for v10.
May be I'm too used of 10 version, but I really like it now, it's for me very open, detailed, airy.
For sure it's not A/B testing, it was a quick testing, my feeling of the moment after a working day (16/44 qobuz and some 24/96 with foobar, with my win7 laptop and AIR-Eth 3.0beta).
My wife will be in a business trip, so if no friends tomorrow at home, may be I could go further, but to be honest I may listen directly 10.0.5 just for fun Wink
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
(11-Oct-2016, 15:44)Cylob Wrote:
(11-Oct-2016, 15:34)ledesc Wrote: Thanks, I hope to find time to listen again to 7.1.3

In the review section there's a topic with a link to a review a friend of mine wrote about 7.1.3 compared to the newer firmwares on our systems.

First of all...7.1.3 is louder than other firmwares. I think that 7.1.3 is also much more analogue sounding that the rest of firmwares. Warmer, nicer, more mids and more relax in sound. When You prefer musicality more than ,,hearing details" 7.1.3 is the best one.
Maybe it's because I'm 48 that my 'old' ears need v10 Smile
I hope to have more time to dedicate to a comparison session.

- FR -
(12-Oct-2016, 13:33)moreno1973 Wrote:
(11-Oct-2016, 15:44)Cylob Wrote:

First of all...7.1.3 is louder than other firmwares. I think that 7.1.3 is also much more analogue sounding that the rest of firmwares. Warmer, nicer, more mids and more relax in sound. When You prefer musicality more than ,,hearing details" 7.1.3 is the best one.

I agree these things can not be stated as absolutes indeed. But I applaud all that try to describe what they hear. It all helps me and others to make up their mind. My humble opinion: It all depends on the other gear we use and the acoustics of the room we play music with them in. I have installed FW 7.1.3 many times because of raving and quite firm conclusions that version is 'the best', and always come to the conclusion that in my setup it sounds a bit muffled and 'soft'. So please all make up your own mind. I for one am very pleased with FW10.0.2 as the music (more controled bass, transients and presentation of the sound stage in my setup) moves me more than it does in FW7. I really love the timbre of the mids and the finely layered lower regions of the music that are less muddled to my ears. Maybe others conclude the same (or not) and that's totally okay by me.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(12-Oct-2016, 14:11)ledesc Wrote: Maybe it's because I'm 48 that my 'old' ears need v10 Smile

B&W speakers have a warm character. It makes total sense to me that you prefer v10.
The good thing is that you've tested it and picked the one you liked the most!
Enjoy mate!
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(12-Oct-2016, 19:18)Cylob Wrote:
(12-Oct-2016, 14:11)ledesc Wrote: Maybe it's because I'm 48 that my 'old' ears need v10 Smile

The good thing is that you've tested it and picked the one you liked the most!
Enjoy mate!

IMHO People nowadays don't like NATURAL sound. They prefer super sound. 90% of today higih-end gear offer extra sound effects... 
7.1.3 is a great firmware just to listen music for many hours.
Heu... I don't understand what you mean with your comment.

I'm a clarinet player, I think I know what is a natural sound.

Don't you think we can have natural sound with different firmware and systems than yours ?

- FR -
(10-Oct-2016, 17:12)Hawkman Wrote: It's odd, there are only 16 files, not counting the manual. There should be 18 files, according to the manual.

The firmware file depends, to a large extent, on how many .txt files are included and on whether the firmware is set to update the D-Premier and Expert series OR the D-Premier and Expert and Pro series. As far as I know, the D-Premier operated on Platform 4, the Expert on Platform 5 and the Pro on Platform 6 (I think these numberings are correct but they may originally have been Platforms 3, 4 and 6.)

So, pre Pro series, 7.1.3 and 8.1.3 and 9.0.1 each included 12 non-.txt files (and there were 5 .txt files in 7.1.3 and 8.1.3 but none at all in 9.0.1, suggesting that the .txt files are irrelevant).

10.0.2 and 10.0.5 have 14 non-.txt files and, respectively, 2 and 3 .txt files - the different .txt file on 10.0.5 being the inclusion of the manual, which is useless in this context as it tells you nothing new about 10.0.5.

Both 10.0.2 and 10.0.5 have 2 .adh files and 3 .psu files. As far as I know, ADH is different for the D-Premier/Expert and Pro series and PSU is different for all three.

The only differences between 10.0.2 and 10.0.5 are the duet file (0504 to 0505) and the third psu file (0603 to 0604). The latter is definitely a change only for the Pro series which is on Platform 6. The former change I do not know about, but it may be that the entire change of firmware relates solely to the Pro series only and is irrelevant for the earlier Expert and D-Premier series. That would have some logic given that the Pro series is new and the earlier series are well established.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England