Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1000Pro vs le 800
1000Pro: Highly emotional, more than Le 800!

Here is my feeling after a few hours of my 1000Pro plays!
I listened to my 1000Pro since yesterday and I must say it goes to the top!
The 800 is right, accurate and rigorous but it does not provide as much emotion as the 1000Pro.
While this is still early and I rely on my memory for comparison, the sound of 1000 is fuller, with more material and much more fluid, you could almost say it is analog.
Mathieu Pernot  (Devialet) says they have improved the ratio class D current / class A current. More Class D "works" and less the class A "works". So the result is that we ear more the class A than before, hence the analog sound
Music seems more obvious, fluid and easy. The 800 seems more tense compared to the 1000Pro with a little hardness.
Extinctions notes are also better.

Here I am a very positive, but obviously the 1000Pro plays in a league above. I think it is the same thing with OdA. Furthermore, it is expected improvement if with burning ...

I was lucky not to expect too much with an upgrade in 10 days. At the reception, the amplifiers are much heavier with the massive copper plate. The manufacturing is beautiful, the connectors are also in copper housing.
One might think that this is a new product. Remote controls have the black background, unlike that of my white D1er.
As for OdA, it comes with 2 QA power cables, as well as digital interconnect cable and a cable trigger.
I wanted to connect with my own cables, but I have not succeeded in RCA/ AES configuration with my Audioprana cable.
But I must say that with the cable RCA / RCA AQ the result is superb. I would see later for other tests.

So for me, this upgrade is a success, it even seems to me, more interesting than the previous one in 2014.

Devialet 1000Pro > Leedh E2, subwoofer 20.1 > Esprit Volta cables > Mac-mini with Air wifi > Wilson Benesch full Circle
patcam - an interesting post. I know exactly what you mean from your description, thinking back to when I auditioned the D800 versus the 1000 Pro, it was the shear realism of the Pro that was really striking. Details in abundance, but not some sort of unpleasant sounding ultra hifi sounding detail, just plain real, or more fluid and analogue as you say.

When I listened to the 1000 Pro at Oxford Audio it was very new. Now over two months later, Oxford Audio do claim that they think the 1000 Pro has improved substantially. (which is actually consistent with what many have found with the Expert range and O'dA) So if your Pro sounds good straight out of the box, maybe you have more to look forward to, and that can't be bad.

I am planning to use my 1000 Pro with the Audioprana link cable. What was the issue you had with the Configurator? I have just tried the 1000 Pro on the Configurator and after a bit of messing around turning off the 'share sources from Companion' option I did manage to get the correct configuration. It did take a bit of fiddling around though and did not appear to work first time of trying.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(16-Oct-2016, 09:00)Opatcam Wrote: 1000Pro: Highly emotional, more than Le 800!

Here is my feeling after a few hours of my 1000Pro plays!
I listened to my 1000Pro since yesterday and I must say it goes to the top!
The 800 is right, accurate and rigorous but it does not provide as much emotion as the 1000Pro.
While this is still early and I rely on my memory for comparison, the sound of 1000 is fuller, with more material and much more fluid, you could almost say it is analog.
Mathieu Pernot  (Devialet) says they have improved the ratio class D current / class A current. More Class D "works" and less the class A "works". So the result is that we ear more the class A than before, hence the analog sound
Music seems more obvious, fluid and easy. The 800 seems more tense compared to the 1000Pro with a little hardness.
Extinctions notes are also better.

Here I am a very positive, but obviously the 1000Pro plays in a league above. I think it is the same thing with OdA. Furthermore, it is expected improvement if with burning ...

I was lucky not to expect too much with an upgrade in 10 days. At the reception, the amplifiers are much heavier with the massive copper plate. The manufacturing is beautiful, the connectors are also in copper housing.
One might think that this is a new product. Remote controls have the black background, unlike that of my white D1er.
As for OdA, it comes with 2 QA power cables, as well as digital interconnect cable and a cable trigger.
I wanted to connect with my own cables, but I have not succeeded in RCA/ AES configuration with my Audioprana cable.
But I must say that with the cable RCA / RCA AQ the result is superb. I would see later for other tests.

So for me, this upgrade is a success, it even seems to me, more interesting than the previous one in 2014.

Is this correct? More class D and less class A, so we hear more class A? Maybe I have misunderstood.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(16-Oct-2016, 10:22)Axel Wrote: Is this correct? More class D and less class A, so we hear more class A? Maybe I have misunderstood.

You have not misunderstood, and indeed what patcam has written is exactly what Mathieu Pernot explained to us at the 1000 Pro launch event at Oxford Audio.  There were a few posts on this topic, see link below.  Actually, maybe you did misunderstand, I must admit I find this one a bit baffling myself, and I recall that when Mathieu first started explain that the Pro used less class A everyone in the room looked perplexed!  It is fair to say that this one is counterintuitive.  I think the key point is that the 1000 Pro does not sound 'less class A', quite the opposite, and in the end that all that really matters.

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3145&page=8
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I've got back mine this week and will let it run first for 50 hours before driving tests.

I underline that cables (mains, digital) seems to have been substantially improved.  
As described by Patcam, already straight out of the box, the 1000Pro doesn't give you a chance to  mourn about the D800 (or any other amp)
The King is dead; long live the King.
France: Totaldac d1 server / d1000 PRO / klinger favre s30 speakers
(16-Oct-2016, 10:48)Confused Wrote:
(16-Oct-2016, 10:22)Axel Wrote: Is this correct? More class D and less class A, so we hear more class A? Maybe I have misunderstood.

You have not misunderstood, and indeed what patcam has written is exactly what Mathieu Pernot explained to us at the 1000 Pro launch event at Oxford Audio.  There were a few posts on this topic, see link below.  Actually, maybe you did misunderstand, I must admit I find this one a bit baffling myself, and I recall that when Mathieu first started explain that the Pro used less class A everyone in the room looked perplexed!  It is fair to say that this one is counterintuitive.  I think the key point is that the 1000 Pro does not sound 'less class A', quite the opposite, and in the end that all that really matters.

This is not that counter intuitive at all in my opinion.

Devialet has sometimes used the analogy of assisted steering where the Class A is in the position of the pilot and the Class D providing assisting steering.

Like with a car, if the pilot does not have to fight, meaning the less effort he has to do, the more precise and ideal are his trajectories. On the other hand, the more he has to fight, the less precise they will be.

Therefore when Devialet means less class A, they mean that the Class D are more ideal, therefore the class A can be more precise.

An other way to look at it is that the less a Class A has to work the better it will be (lower thermal distortion, more linear etc...). The way ADH is working can also be articulated as having the Class A correcting the 'errors' or inaccuracies of the class D part. The less inaccuracies for the Class D (meaning the higher Class D percentage) the more the Class A is approaching its perfect behavior hence an overall improvement.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(21-Oct-2016, 13:13)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(16-Oct-2016, 10:48)Confused Wrote:

This is not that counter intuitive at all in my opinion.

Devialet has sometimes used the analogy of assisted steering where the Class A is in the position of the pilot and the Class D providing assisting steering.

Like with a car, if the pilot does not have to fight, meaning the less effort he has to do, the more precise and ideal are his trajectories. On the other hand, the more he has to fight, the less precise they will be.

Therefore when Devialet means less class A, they mean that the Class D are more ideal, therefore the class A can be more precise.

An other way to look at it is that the less a Class A has to work the better it will be (lower thermal distortion, more linear etc...). The way ADH is working can also be articulated as having the Class A correcting the 'errors' or inaccuracies of the class D part. The less inaccuracies for the Class D (meaning the higher Class D percentage) the more the Class A is approaching its perfect behavior hence an overall improvement.

That explains it very nicely, Jean-Marie. Thanks!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(21-Oct-2016, 17:37)Axel Wrote: That explains it very nicely, Jean-Marie. Thanks!

Agreed. Thanks Jean-marie for the explanation.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada