Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KEF LS50 wireless
(30-Dec-2016, 07:42)Rodney Gold Wrote: I had the passive Ls50's ..I doubt the active versions would sound radically different to them.. but if you like chamber music at low volumes and don't want bass to speak of , they are a good choice...If you want all their goodness , you need to pair them with subs
As to actives and DSP actives , been around for yonks and still havent take over the domestic hifi world
Ive had tons of them , yet still went for a passive system.

I like my passive LS50s a lot. With careful positioning and setup their soundstage is excellent. SAM helps a lot with bass, but I'm sure there are many better in that department.

By the way, Rodney, how are you? How are you feeling? Hope you are fine!

Cheers!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kef is even using the in-built DSP to optimise cross over and correct for time domain errors. The passive version has the tweeter inverted so I guess this means that the active version has this sorted. Also the dedicated cat5 connection between R and L is good. Probably better than using a standard SPDIF as we see on Devialet monos. Whether bass is on par with a passive+SAM is still open, but it will never compete with Phantom bass.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I just bought a pair Black/Blue in Malaysia, connected to my Sonos ZP80, and listened to Spotify and Deezer Elite whole day since 3pm (it's 11:38 now). It is easy to setup, and having great experience with the passive LS50, I would say LS50 wireless is a great improvement. Soundstage is wide and deep, separation is pinpoint accurate. It's a great value/performance active speaker.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

So, in essence you are saying that the wireless LS50 is on par or better than your 200+LS50 passive?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Well not exactly. With Devialet, the bass effect is firmer and deeper, especially with SAM on. But the convenience of LS50 Wireless is simply unresistable. As for power, it has enough juice, 200W of Class D for low/mid frequency and 30W Class A/B for high frequency. I would let it burn in for 100 hours to see if it improves further.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I see, thanks.
Devialetless!
I just got a pair of LS50 wireless....the bass on my silvers is 'more impressive' one can say. is the bass better ? more accurate ? I will have to break in the LS50 first and the do some comparative listenting.

out of the box the LS50 sounds impressive in the bass region and I believe while not as 'impressive sounding' it will be more articulate in the bass region with far more accurate representation of musical instruments.

in the mids and treble the LS50 wireless will walk circles around the phantom silvers based on my brief listening session.
intouch1, very interesting! Especially that mids and treble "walk circles around" Silvers. I am not surprised really as the LS50 wireless is time coherent while the White and Silver Phantom is not. The passive LS50 is already very good here so an optimised active version will shine.
Looking forward to more comments on the broken in LS50 W
Devialetless!
(17-Oct-2016, 13:18)Confused Wrote: It will be very interesting to see how good these turn out to be.  They might sound rubbish, they might be good.  They might have brilliant functionality and stability, or they may not.  Time will tell!  One thing is clear, the UK price is £2000 for a pair, so a lot cheaper than a pair of the White Phantoms and fully half the price of the Gold's.  They are also available in a range of colours, which will matter to some.  I very much doubt they will match the Phantoms overall for sound quality, but all things considered, they don't have to.
(16-Oct-2016, 12:58)MHifi_swlon Wrote: I know they're not really Devialet related, but these look interesting.

http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/digi.../overview/

I'm definitely keeping an eye on them. If they became RoonReady they'd potentially be a great second system (or even main system from the first reports about how they sound).

Looks like actives are going to be the thing going forwards - and not just at the uber high-end. I guess all the parts are becoming small and cheap enough, and the infrastructure like network playback, is established enough

Hi, I had to get rid of my LS50, as they distorted heavily on piano recordings. They were replaced with a pair of XTZ 99.25 with Beryllium tweeters, and they sound superb. Gonna wait a little bit more for the  Phantom Golds until they get their act together, and go Dow now in price. At the moment, I don't feel that they are goo do value for money, or that they reflect their worth!