Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Devialet OdA / D1000 pro battle – V5 vs V6
(17-Oct-2016, 10:59)GuillaumeB Wrote: Wonderful work and write-up Markus!  Smile

Guillaume

Couldn't agree more.

This took some real effort and is about as 'blind' and scientifically valid as you could probably get in a home environment, while at the same time sounding like you had a pretty fun day.

We don't have your scale definitions yet, but it's really helpful to see the size of jumps from one to the other - perhaps in more subjective evaluations these numbers would have become 'unbelievably good' or 'jaw dropping' or whatever which are so difficult to decipher.

Still, I would have loved to see a 200 (or even a 120) behind the curtain just to get an overall idea of its relative performance when listened blind.

Looking forward to hearing any more details about the day. And well done to your intern - hopefullly they got some wine or something out of it! Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

We had a 250 available but this would have boosted the effort :-)
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(17-Oct-2016, 14:39)Mka Wrote: We had a 250 available but this would have boosted the effort :-)

Well, there's always next weekend.  Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(17-Oct-2016, 14:45)Confused Wrote:
(17-Oct-2016, 14:39)Mka Wrote: We had a 250 available but this would have boosted the effort :-)

You can borrow my 200 if you like Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I assume the scale was to 10 for each category. I also assume the reviewers have heard other systems that they feel are better as the Devialets didn't get to 10.

Do you mind telling us what some of those other components/systems would be?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(17-Oct-2016, 14:51)Dr Tone Wrote: I assume the scale was to 10 for each category.  I also assume the reviewers have heard other systems that they feel are better as the Devialets didn't get to 10.

None of us is a professional reviewer, but the others are way more educated than me :-) 10 was supposed to be attending a life performance in an optimal listening position.
Probably the absolute numbers are less interesting than the relative ones.

It´s wasn´t supposed to be the most scientific exercise (you will see later that we discussed a lot about the emotional listening experience and not to much about the numbers) and we were just curious: "Do we really here a statically relevant difference in between such highly developed very similiar platforms.

By the way I will elopbarate on the point, that the differences where much more pronounced via the Magico V2s.

Listening together with someone who has  25 year experience in recording classical and jazz music was something I am extremely grateful for. We had a few comment like : "o shit you can here that to of the microphones where out of phase. We had this stupid custom made cables there, I never heard that before on a home system" 

Andreas gave us interesting details on the type one instruments used ......
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(17-Oct-2016, 15:46)Mka Wrote:
(17-Oct-2016, 14:51)Dr Tone Wrote: I assume the scale was to 10 for each category.  I also assume the reviewers have heard other systems that they feel are better as the Devialets didn't get to 10.

None of us is a professional reviewer, but the others are way more educated than me :-) 10 was supposed to be attending a life performance in an optimal listening position.

Understood.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(17-Oct-2016, 14:50)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(17-Oct-2016, 14:45)Confused Wrote:

You can borrow my 200 if you like Wink
My back needs at least 6 weeks rest carrying around 60kg+ speaker two floors up and down......
Hi Markus,
Thanks for this very interesting review.
Could you kindly precise the firmware version of the OdA ?
Thanks in advance.
Amazing work. Sounds an impressive methodology, and listeners, and a lot of hard work.

I've rarely seen a clear statistical improvement from tests like this, but you seem to have done it. It's a real challenge to the, all competent amplifiers that are accurately level matched and operating within their limits sound the same crowd.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution