Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
400 vs 440 Dem
Last weekend I compared 400 to 440 at OAC, the dem was done with SF Guarneri Evolution speakers.  Before going I wasn’t sure what to expect at all, I have never listened to the 400 and thought it was lacking in any way, so I would be quite happy if the difference was minimal and I didn’t bother upgrading.

When I got there they had the 440 connected up playing music I didn’t know but it sounded great, an opinion that didn’t change with my music. Swapping to the 400 immediately did seem a step back, I noticed it mainly in the midrange that seemed more open and effortless with the pro, but the dynamics and bass extension also favoured the 440.  Swapping back and forth on a couple of tracks that were most revealing just reinforced this view, the word that kept going through my mind was linear, both in how it was sounding more accurate, and how it advanced the devialet sound.  This was my take away impression, these are simply better Devialet amps, the same stuff I heard going from my old Naim system to the 200 has simply progressed even further in the same direction.  I’ll be taking advantage of the OAC old for new swap deal, as soon as they can get a 440.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
What is the old for new swap deal you mention?
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(21-Oct-2016, 20:33)Womaz Wrote: What is the old for new swap deal you mention?
They take your old amps, plus upgrade fee (or the discounted fee if you have a voucher code), plus a small amount extra and give you new apps. The main advantage to me is no down time, it was going to be very annoying being without an amp.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
Thanks for clarification
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Seems like that's a plan Devialet should have sponsored with all their dealers.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(21-Oct-2016, 21:14)mdconnelly Wrote: Seems like that's a plan Devialet should have sponsored with all their dealers.

It does, that would have been perfect.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.