Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200
(23-Oct-2016, 08:40)Antoine Wrote: Read the other news threads. It's off topic here but to give a short answer; No one knows yet what the new Devialet OS/streamer board will support. The only thing mentioned thus far by Devialet on the ethernet streaming front is uPNP/DLNA. I think the chances of them implementing an open, advanced streaming protocol like AES67, Dante or Ravenna are close to zero.

I've had an email exchange with Xilica. Among other things this was written:

"The Dante license is very expensive and then you have to purchase all the Dante cards used inside 
the product from them. Also expensive. So a manufacturer has to be certain that the return will validate the costs."

The reason Dante was mentioned is that Devialet has a few commercial installations of Phantoms and in this field ethernet and Dante is used a lot. I believe Xilica has provided the interface to network audio as Devialet (we all know too well) does not provide this.

May be AES67 or Ravenna, but if it's compatible with Dante, the license troll will probably turn up...

Sorry for continuing off topic, but I feel it is relevant to Antoine's post
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Guys, I have currently a 200. what is better in term of improvement: upgrading to 220 or buying a companion to go to 400 ?

Thanks.
(05-Nov-2016, 15:20)davslp Wrote: Guys, I have currently a 200. what is better in term of improvement: upgrading to 220 or buying a companion to go to 400 ?

Thanks.

That's a challenge I've wrestled with ever since the Pro series was announced.   When I first bought my 200 earlier this year, my intent was to add a Companion when finances allowed.   Now that I've been listening to a 220 Pro compared to the 200, I'm totally convinced that the technology improvements of the Pro series are a substantial step forward.  So a 400 is no longer on my bucket list (but a 440 Pro is ;-)  It's an insidious hobby we have here ... but damn, it makes me smile  Big Grin
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(05-Nov-2016, 15:20)davslp Wrote: Guys, I have currently a 200. what is better in term of improvement: upgrading to 220 or buying a companion to go to 400 ?

Thanks.

I think it's dependent on your loudspeakers, can they handle more juice, with significant improvement? Are you allowed to spend ;-) If both yes, you will end at some point with a 440...
Any further feedback ?
I've not directly compared the 400 to the 220 Pro (nor 440 Pro), but I have seen a few posts that indicated that a 400 may sound better than a 220 Pro.   As Xander stated, that will most likely depend upon your system and your ears.

I would say that whether you have a 200 or a 400,  you will eventually want to upgrade to the Pro equivalent, so it's just a matter of the route you take to get there.   I seriously doubt that Devialet will eliminate the upgrade program at year end.  But, they have stated that they will eliminate the discounted upgrade for recent buyers and they will eliminate the free new OS board.   For that reason, it may be wise to move to the Pro sooner rather than later.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
Some of you may have read it here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3752

The 250 Pro by this group of 20 listeners was generally found to be a clear step up from the 400. Of course the 250 Pro is not a 220 Pro but I would not be surprised at all if the same holds true for the 220 Pro.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(04-Dec-2016, 14:46)Antoine Wrote: Some of you may have read it here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3752

The 250 Pro by this group of 20 listeners was generally found to be a clear step up from the 400. Of course the 250 Pro is not a 220 Pro but I would not be surprised at all if the same holds true for the 220 Pro.

...And that makes the 220Pro the most interesting Devialet in the range....like the 200 was before the 120 to 220Pro upgrade was introduced  Dodgy
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
There is no question in my mind that the 220 Pro is a very nice step-up from the 200... See early posts in this thread for details.   My take that is is generally true for all Pro models over their predecessors.

The 400 was always a very nice step from the 200 and I'm sure the 440 Pro is that from the 220 Pro.

Staying with the 200 or 400 or 250 will undoubtedly continue to sound good.   And as I've said before, as long as you stop reading discussions here and stay aware from other sources of Devialet information, you will undoubtedly continue to be very happy.
Durham, NC USA
(04-Dec-2016, 22:06)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(04-Dec-2016, 14:46)Antoine Wrote: Some of you may have read it here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3752

...And that makes the 220Pro the most interesting Devialet in the range....like the 200 was before the 120 to 220Pro upgrade was introduced  Dodgy
I kind of suspect that with that new pros the single box amps are closer to the dual monos than with the old range.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution