Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker advice please?
I've heard the Spendor D7 and was really impressed by this speaker.
I think I was at Bristol that year and heard this system, was there a 250 driving some big classic Spendors in the room next door? If so my memory of the D7 system was it sounded clean and clear, not warm. Can you remember what tracks you heard there, and what do they sound like at home?

I've demed the D7s a couple of times, I think they are very good, to me they sound very neutral and high resolution, the only real criticism I had was the treble could be a little sharp at times. I could never quite tell if it was a speaker fault, or it was telling the truth about what was on the recording.

Have you tried turning the treble down a small amount using the amp controls?

If you want something warmer sounding I'd look to the more classic BBC designs or Sonus Faber.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I had Spendor D7's before and they are very neutral indeed. For me, they sounded very good mostly, but not with all styles and recordings. Jazz, electronica/dance, singer/songwriter, folk and all which is (very) good recorded sounds great!

But things like rock, classic and lesser recordings are a no go...
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
Mr_Bill
I can't fault the D7. Apart from the lack of synergy with my 120 and the 220 Pro it's an overall a really nice speaker and very capable.

Soniclife
The track I remember was Georgio Moroder by Daft Punk and I distinctly remember being able to hear the warm textures of the track. In fact it's the only only time at any of the Bristol shows I have been to since 2012 I was able to hear this pure natural sound on any of the systems I listened to.
In fact I noticed the same uplift in the high frequency and I had to to turn down the treble to -1.0 to balance it out but this of course does not bring any natural textures out.    

Bartype
Did the Spenders with your Devialet allow you to hear any of the textural details or did it sound cold? I have read your posts with interest and I am seriously thinking of auditioning the Sonus Faber Olympica II. Do you think they do bass punch, slam, rhythm any worse than the Spendors to be able to do justice to dance, electronica, pop even etc?  I can't believe I am considering spending so much money on speakers but I just want to have great system synergy with my 120 and I am beggining to love their looks.
Well, to be honest, the Spendor's are very tight with electronica, even a little more so then the SFO2's. And warmth... Good recorded jazz sounds very good and warm enough, try Cafe Blue from Patricia Barber, for example! The SFO's however are way more all-round, which for me, loving at least something from almost any music genre was an important consideration.

The SFO's at least to my ears even beats more expensive competition like Kef reference 3, Wilson Benesch Vector (costing more than 2,5 times the Spendors, these ones totally couldn't do electronics) and B&W 804D3, with which i compared them straight on. And classic instruments sounds soo good!

If you mostly listen to one or few genres you maybe can do better with a speaker which excels in these genres (the Wilson Benesch again for example excels in resolution with very good recordings and little settings like quiet jazz and singer songwriters). But then again, trust your own ears and go audition them both, at home....!

(01-Nov-2016, 23:34)repulser Wrote: Mr_Bill
I can't fault the D7. Apart from the lack of synergy with my 120 and the 220 Pro it's an overall a really nice speaker and very capable.

Soniclife
The track I remember was Georgio Moroder by Daft Punk and I distinctly remember being able to hear the warm textures of the track. In fact it's the only only time at any of the Bristol shows I have been to since 2012 I was able to hear this pure natural sound on any of the systems I listened to.
In fact I noticed the same uplift in the high frequency and I had to to turn down the treble to -1.0 to balance it out but this of course does not bring any natural textures out.    

Bartype
Did the Spenders with your Devialet allow you to hear any of the textural details or did it sound cold? I have read your posts with interest and I am seriously thinking of auditioning the Sonus Faber Olympica II. Do you think they do bass punch, slam, rhythm any worse than the Spendors to be able to do justice to dance, electronica, pop even etc?  I can't believe I am considering spending so much money on speakers but I just want to have great system synergy with my 120 and I am beggining to love their looks.
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
Never listened to Spendors.
Owned JM Lab Utopia Mini for couple of years. Their sound was very close to what I always wanted - in combo with Utopia Sub. The only ingredient that was missing was a bit of emotion. They were very close to my current speaker - Diablos - just a notch below in every department - including fun factor that is through the roof with Diablos.
Spent some time with Sonus Faber Venere S. Nice rounded sound, involving and musical but did not have enough detail and air for me.
Owned Wilson Benesch Trinity for couple of years, some of the most detailed speakers I have heard, very dynamic and transparent and brutally honest. They would not be considered warm with Devialet IMO.
Now with Focal Utopia Diablo III and this combination (D220 Pro) is made in heaven. Unbelievable mix of detail, transparency, air and musicality. Using sub with them as well for anything below 45Hz. If stand mounts are an option - they are a must listen with Devialet. They are standmount only by definition - but sound much larger still maintaining precise soundstage and imaging that is characteristic to standmounts. It takes about 2 days to "get used to the looks" but progressively look better and better...
Using Furutech Flux wire through out the system. Right now I have hit nirvana with my system but will play with different wires - just for fun and to hear more options...
Sonus Faber was always high on my list, just could not justify the price/performance of their standmounts... they do look stunning though, in their own way.
Let us know if you end up with Olympicas - how they sound in your system. I'd never try to match my experience at some show 2 years ago... too many variables - the biggest being the room. Don't even bother listening to Olympicas at the dealer - you have to have them at home in YOUR system... Different room will make big enough difference and when you bring them home you'd be going WTF this speaker must be defective... well maybe not quite, but close enough...

let your ears decide - at your home with your system if at all possible.

That is what I did for the first time after so many years of burning money on overpriced electronics and I can't be more happy with my decision...
Have listened Spendors many times. Like every spekear, this one also requires strong backup, but I would agree that D7 is definitely NOT allrounder speaker.

Many years I have been looking for the "perfect" speaker. At one moment thought it was Avalon Indra. Even if it was great speaker in many ways, sometimes and somewhat it lacked fun factor and usibility and allround quality. Maybe it was because of the nature of it's bass, I could only guess..

If you could financially reach, try some Vivid (V1.5 or B1).

Personally, I am so happy with Vivid Oval B1D, these days HF+ proclaimed it as "Standmount speaker of the year 2016". With Vivids, every musical genre sounds in it's authentic way, there is no coloration of its drivers. Great soundstage, tramendous speed and detail. It simply vanishes into your room and only music is left.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Audience aR-6 TSS / Melco N1ZH / Audio Research CD5 / D400 / Vivid B1D
Synergistic Research Atmosphere / SR Element C.T.S.