Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Pre-out from 440
(31-Oct-2016, 21:07)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Is this problem similar to your previous problem (one channel only working) in that it worked before and decided to stop without you changing anything? If so, I suggest to strongly push Devialet for new internals. Who knows what's next?

Similar in a way, but the no sound from one channel  and massive distortion on the other was solved with a firmware flash. This problem with no preamp output must be a config. problem., there's nothing wrong with the amp itself.  The output works with the configs from my 400. I've used file merge on the Mac, and the files are identical in the areas that matter. I'm not going to waste any more time frigging around with settings as Devialet are aware of the problem and I need my music fix!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I decide to have one more bash. Went onto the configurator and downloaded only the Companion config, i.e. I didn't download the Master config first. imagine my surprise when it worked. I now have the output on the Companion turned on.
It seems that if you download the config. for the Master first, then the config. for the Companion, things go awry.

When you other chaps download your Master config., do you then press the back arrow to get back to the configurator, then download your Companion config? I can't see any other way of doing it.

I compared the files using File Merge and the only difference apart from the time of the creation of the file, was the very first line. Please see below.

Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(03-Nov-2016, 13:55)Axel Wrote: ...
When you other chaps download your Master config., do you then press the back arrow to get back to the configurator, then download your Companion config? I can't see any other way of doing it.

That's how I normally do it too.  It always feels a bit "uncomfortable" to me: the configurator ought to give you an explicit way to go back, I think.  Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen problems where the files are not downloaded properly depending on the order in which you do it.  Is the difference in behaviour with different download orders repeatable?

(03-Nov-2016, 13:55)Axel Wrote: I compared the files using File Merge and the only difference apart from the time of the creation of the file, was the very first line. Please see below.

I take it you're referring to the creation time inside the config file, rather than the file system metadata?  Otherwise I'd have thought the CRC should be identical too, shouldn't it?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(03-Nov-2016, 14:11)thumb5 Wrote:
(03-Nov-2016, 13:55)Axel Wrote: ...

That's how I normally do it too.  It always feels a bit "uncomfortable" to me: the configurator ought to give you an explicit way to go back, I think.  Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen problems where the files are not downloaded properly depending on the order in which you do it.  Is the difference in behaviour with different download orders repeatable?

(03-Nov-2016, 13:55)Axel Wrote: I compared the files using File Merge and the only difference apart from the time of the creation of the file, was the very first line. Please see below.

I take it you're referring to the creation time inside the config file, rather than the file system metadata?  Otherwise I'd have thought the CRC should be identical too, shouldn't it?

I tried the downloads again, in the normal order and, sure enough, no Companion output. I was using Chrome as a browser, so I'll try Firefox sometime. Safari is useless for this.
Yes, I was referring to the creation time inside the file. I'm not sure what the function of the CRC line is, can you explain, please?
South Coast England
(03-Nov-2016, 16:24)Axel Wrote: ...
I tried the downloads again, in the normal order and, sure enough, no Companion output.

That is really strange!  Sorry for asking, as you must be fed up with configurator messing about by now - I surely would be.

(03-Nov-2016, 16:24)Axel Wrote: I was using Chrome as a browser, so I'll try Firefox sometime. Safari is useless for this.

Agreed.  I tend to use Firefox so perhaps that has some bearing on it.

(03-Nov-2016, 16:24)Axel Wrote: Yes, I was referring to the creation time inside the file. I'm not sure what the function of the CRC line is, can you explain, please?

The CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) is used as a checksum so that the amp can validate the configuration file before acting on it.  The CRC value is calculated by a clever algorithm so that it depends on the exact content of the file, in order (i.e. not just a simple sum).  The configurator calculates and stores the CRC when building the file, and the amplifier re-calculates it when it loads the file.  If any part of the config file changes - either accidentally or by manually editing it, for example - the CRC calculated by the amp won't match the CRC value stored in the file, and the amp will ignore the "damaged" file.

Bearing in mind that the config file sets things like power supply voltages, which might potentially cause damage to the amp or speakers if they're wrong, I'm pleased Devialet have used this approach to avoid accidents.  Of course it does discourage manual tinkering with the config file, which is probably all for the best.

(What I haven't seen -- and would be somewhat interested to know -- is an exact definition of what CRC algorithm they use.  There are plenty of 16-bit CRCs to choose from...)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(03-Nov-2016, 17:00)thumb5 Wrote:
(03-Nov-2016, 16:24)Axel Wrote: ...
I tried the downloads again, in the normal order and, sure enough, no Companion output.

That is really strange!  Sorry for asking, as you must be fed up with configurator messing about by now - I surely would be.

(03-Nov-2016, 16:24)Axel Wrote: I was using Chrome as a browser, so I'll try Firefox sometime. Safari is useless for this.

Agreed.  I tend to use Firefox so perhaps that has some bearing on it.

(03-Nov-2016, 16:24)Axel Wrote: Yes, I was referring to the creation time inside the file. I'm not sure what the function of the CRC line is, can you explain, please?

The CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) is used as a checksum so that the amp can validate the configuration file before acting on it.  The CRC value is calculated by a clever algorithm so that it depends on the exact content of the file, in order (i.e. not just a simple sum).  The configurator calculates and stores the CRC when building the file, and the amplifier re-calculates it when it loads the file.  If any part of the config file changes - either accidentally or by manually editing it, for example - the CRC calculated by the amp won't match the CRC value stored in the file, and the amp will ignore the "damaged" file.

Bearing in mind that the config file sets things like power supply voltages, which might potentially cause damage to the amp or speakers if they're wrong, I'm pleased Devialet have used this approach to avoid accidents.  Of course it does discourage manual tinkering with the config file, which is probably all for the best.

(What I haven't seen -- and would be somewhat interested to know -- is an exact definition of what CRC algorithm they use.  There are plenty of 16-bit CRCs to choose from...)

Ah, I get it!, and, yes it's a pain in the arse to keep mucking about with config files, because when you're doing this, you aren't getting your daily dose of music. But we live and learn, to make it go more smoothly next time. Thanks Ian.
South Coast England