Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
brit's System
As a newbie, and past "lurker" on this Forum, I thought that I ought to start making a contribution - however useful that might be!

Anyway, as I met with a number of Forum members, at Guildford Audio's Devialet event his weekend, I have been shamed into making a start at "Posting"!

My current system:

digital end:

Devialet 400 fed primarily by a Wyred4Sound Music Server (W4S MS-2);
W4S MS-2, and D400, linked to my Virgin Media Super Hub via cat 6 Ethernet cable (circa 30m run from study to Hi Fi cupboard) via a D-Link Ethernet switch box. Main PC is Windows 7 based and also hard "Ethernet" wired to the Super Hub, which itself is "hard wired" to the Virgin Media Cable Service. The W4S and D400 Ethernet "pigtails", from D-Link switch, are 1m and 1.5m lengths of Audioquest Forest, respectively;

Can also use AIR, via Ethernet, to listen to iTunes which resides on my main PC. Do not use this very often, as all my music files already reside on the W4S MS-2. But for info, I have not (yet!) had any issues using AIR with Ethernet and iTunes (not tried anything more sophisticated such as JRiver!);

Until very recently I linked my W4S MS to the D400 via a W4S DAC-2 DSDse, running from MS to DAC via KingRex U-Art (S) USB cable, and then from DAC to line in on D400 via Transparent Cable Reference RCA Interconnects. This was purely because I have some DSD 64 & 128, and 352Khz res files, which will not play direct into D400.

I now run direct from W4S MS-2 still using the KingRex U-Art (S) USB cable, with wonderful results - I think that the Devialet DAC is extremely good, even if limited to 192Khz! As I only have limited DSD and 352khz material (already held as 44.1khz anyway) I am prepared to forego the pleasure .. and continue to run direct to the D400 via USB. (There may soon be a W4S DAC on the market!);

Also on Digital side I use a Pure DAB radio Rx running digital into D400 via a piece of wet digital string (ie cheapo wire supplied with Rx) as well as a Wadia 170i ipod dock. Not too sure why I keep the DAB Rx given that I now have access to almost un limited Internet Radio - old habits die hard at a certain age! Also have a Theta Jade CD player running balanced into the D400, via Transparent Cable Reference 110ohm aes/ebu cable. This facility is for when I feel like I need some limited exercise in getting up and changing CDs!

Vinyl:

Run a Voyd turntable with Helius Orion Arm and Audio Technica OC9 Mk111 Moving Coil Cartridge into the Phono Stage of the D400, which sounds fantastic - well done Devialet for supplying such a multi functional phono stage (even down to selectable RIAA curves)! This Vinyl set-up provides even more exercise in getting up changing records! Still love that Vinyl!

All this kit is presented musically (very musically, to my ears and that's what counts!) via a pair of Wilson-Benesch ACT1 speakers (owned for many years but still, IMO, hard to beat, both musically and looks wise - anyway they sneaked past my wife, who is my arbiter in so many +ve ways!) driven via Kimber bi-Focal XL speaker cables.

As with most hi fi nuts (sorry aficionados) I am still looking for that unattainable audio Nirvana (anyway at a sensible cost!) so will be looking at a new digital link cable between Master and Sl... - sorry Companion units - not convinced that the cable supplied is the best for the job, and also a new USB cable. Not too sure about going for those wooden boxes filled with "magic" powder that everyone seems to be talking about - saw them on Saturday at the Guildford Audio event - maybe a gizmo too far (don't knock it until you try it!)

Anyway enough of my rabbiting on - would post some pictures but haven't the foggiest idea how you do it!

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
David introduces a calorific count into his audio system ... and soon an entraprenurial manufacturer will introduce an "Entreq" successor which makes you lose more weight the more you listen (and the more units you buy, of course)
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Well then, there have been a few changes to my system since I last posted on this thread:

The D400 has gone up to a D800, and the Wilson-Benesch ACT1 speakers have gone to W-B ACT.

The upshot is that I have gained far better control, bass enhancement and a much larger soundstage. Changing the speakers has given better transparency and detail, and the D800 gives the better control, bass enhancement and the larger soundstage.

I would love to post a photo, but not too sure how to do it Confused. Any help would be appreciated Smile.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(29-Aug-2016, 14:51)brit Wrote: I would love to post a photo, but not too sure how to do it Confused. Any help would be appreciated Smile.

When composing (not in quick reply) there's an 'add attachment' button at the very the bottom. This uploads the image to DC servers and you'll see it in preview. It was a bit restrictive on size last time I tried so you may need to resize your images first.

Or put your pics on something like photobucket, and link to them using the 'add image url' icon in the top bar next to the envelope icon.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Think I may have found way to add photos. Anyway here are a few attempts - not too sure why 2 are in the Post and the other is attached as a thumbnail Huh. Must play with this a bit Confused.

David

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

or, as alternative, 

UK
(29-Aug-2016, 15:19)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(29-Aug-2016, 14:51)brit Wrote: I would love to post a photo, but not too sure how to do it Confused. Any help would be appreciated Smile.

When composing (not in quick reply) there's an 'add attachment' button at the very the bottom.  This uploads the image to DC servers and you'll see it in preview. It was a bit restrictive on size last time I tried so you may need to resize your images first.

Or put your pics on something like photobucket, and link to them using the 'add image url' icon in the top bar next to the envelope icon.

Many thanks. Yes found this, but as you say, all the photos I had exceeded the size limit so took a few more at a reduced resolution and tried posting them with better results - well at least they "posted" this time, but some in the Post and another as a thumbnail attachment Huh. More of a learning curve I am afraid Rolleyes.

David
or, as alternative, 

UK
Great picture of your chair and speakers David - pretty innovative to listen the "wrong way round"!

On a slightly less flippant point, I remember Peter Walker of Quad explaining that if you set up your speakers correctly and with the correct program, the music would appear to come solely from a central position behind you. Maybe you have made that a practical reality.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(29-Aug-2016, 19:03)IanG-UK Wrote: Great picture of your chair and speakers David - pretty innovative to listen the "wrong way round"!

On a slightly less flippant point, I remember Peter Walker of Quad explaining that if you set up your speakers correctly and with the correct program, the music would appear to come solely from a central position behind you. Maybe you have made that a practical reality.

Actually I really wanted some big headphones so thought that this was the best way to achieve this Tongue.

Seriously though, the main listening position is a settee opposite the speakers so as both my wife and I can listen together - romantic isn't it Big Grin.

David
or, as alternative, 

UK