Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pro - Non sound quality observations
(08-Nov-2016, 10:32)Confused Wrote:
(08-Nov-2016, 02:32)Music or sound Wrote: Confused is everything (except vinyl) routed through the Mutec3+ USB? Did you test your CD-player via that route?

No, the CD is connected direct to the Devialet.  Having said that, you have successfully predicated my thoughts and future plans.  The Mutec is a little limited in terms of connectivity.  It has a USB input, an optical Toslink input, and an S/PDIF input with a BNC type connector.  Currently my TV is running through the W4S reclocker via optical, to Mutec via optical.  The Blu-Ray player is a transport only (no DAC) and very unusually will output hi res PCM at 24/88.2 playing SACD, this is now fed S/PDIF to the W4S reclocker, then to the Mutec.  I could have used this connection route for the CD player, but my logic was that the CD player gets used less than the Blu-Ray player.  It is a case of CD's being ripped / streamed, and the only time the CD player gets used is maybe to play something recently purchased or maybe a CD loaned by someone.  However, the spare BNC S/PDIF input on the Mutec remains.  I need to double check this, but I'm thinking that all I need is a RCA to BNC S/PDIF cable (or adaptor), and the CD player can be connected direct to the Mutec.  This might be interesting, I recall Guillaume posting some information a while back about the superiority of CD players versus streaming.  So having the CD player via the Mutec would allow a direct head to head test with the microRendu.  This might be interesting!   In the short term I am not planning to A/B test anything, the amp is brand new, so I plan just to enjoy the thing for a few weeks whilst the electronics settle down, and more importantly, my ears and brain get used to it.  Lots of potential here for future fun and experimenting!

My Mutec came with a S/Pdif to BNC adapter in the box are you sure that yours didn't, might be worth a look.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(08-Nov-2016, 10:32)Confused Wrote: I recall Guillaume posting some information a while back about the superiority of CD players versus streaming. 

I recently heard an Audio Research CD9 (a £12k CD player) being played through some amazing Constellation Audio electronics (latest Centaur 2 etc). The sound was out of this world. I listened to a wide range of music and thought to myself that I'd never heard redbook sound so good. 

And it pains me to say it since I will never buy a CD player, I gave up on those in 2007!  Tongue

I am convinced that many streaming solutions are compromised by the complexities of computer audio. Although we have improved in leaps and bounds over the past few years (as many of these issues have been recognised and addressed/optimised) when going back to a "reference" CD player it can be a bit of an eye opener. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(08-Nov-2016, 11:25)GuillaumeB Wrote: I am convinced that many streaming solutions are compromised by the complexities of computer audio. Although we have improved in leaps and bounds over the past few years (as many of these issues have been recognised and addressed/optimised) when going back to a "reference" CD player it can be a bit of an eye opener. 

Guillaume

+1
But I would presume spending as much as 12k on a custom streaming solution made with rare but special computer audio knowhow would ever surpass a standalone CD-Player for the same price (implied you have something like a Devialet with decent made DAC inside).

The problem is that most custom computer audio streaming starts from zero...the first being your MacBook/Laptop and plug an USB cable in between PC/(DAC)Amp.
That's the first step, something near 1000€ and no comparison to standalone CD-Player. There's just so much hassle within the PC that's nothing to do with audio and corrupts the audio signal with its bits birth. It has to be second to a CD-Player.

Though if one puts some effort into computer audio with decent cables, power supply, stillpoints (all the same as you would with a 12k CD-Player) and most important software/configuration you would end up with a streaming solution say 3-4k€. This "cheap" computer audio solution would give the 12k CD-Player a hard time.
If you can even go further with your expense there is nothing the CD-Player can give.

Guillaume:
Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Start here and go this route" thread for a custom computer audio streaming solution?
I'm in it on a serious level for only half a year and still learning what gives the most. But I'm sure that some folks here can give us very good hints where to start and what's worth to try.

But if the final AIR 3 kicks a.. to all it would be obsolete I know   Big Grin

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(08-Nov-2016, 11:09)NickB Wrote:
(08-Nov-2016, 10:32)Confused Wrote:
(08-Nov-2016, 02:32)Music or sound Wrote: Confused is everything (except vinyl) routed through the Mutec3+ USB? Did you test your CD-player via that route?

No, the CD is connected direct to the Devialet.  Having said that, you have successfully predicated my thoughts and future plans.  The Mutec is a little limited in terms of connectivity.  It has a USB input, an optical Toslink input, and an S/PDIF input with a BNC type connector.  Currently my TV is running through the W4S reclocker via optical, to Mutec via optical.  The Blu-Ray player is a transport only (no DAC) and very unusually will output hi res PCM at 24/88.2 playing SACD, this is now fed S/PDIF to the W4S reclocker, then to the Mutec.  I could have used this connection route for the CD player, but my logic was that the CD player gets used less than the Blu-Ray player.  It is a case of CD's being ripped / streamed, and the only time the CD player gets used is maybe to play something recently purchased or maybe a CD loaned by someone.  However, the spare BNC S/PDIF input on the Mutec remains.  I need to double check this, but I'm thinking that all I need is a RCA to BNC S/PDIF cable (or adaptor), and the CD player can be connected direct to the Mutec.  This might be interesting, I recall Guillaume posting some information a while back about the superiority of CD players versus streaming.  So having the CD player via the Mutec would allow a direct head to head test with the microRendu.  This might be interesting!   In the short term I am not planning to A/B test anything, the amp is brand new, so I plan just to enjoy the thing for a few weeks whilst the electronics settle down, and more importantly, my ears and brain get used to it.  Lots of potential here for future fun and experimenting!

My Mutec came with a S/Pdif to BNC adapter in the box are you sure that yours didn't, might be worth a look.

I located the Mutec box last night and it does indeed come with a S/PDIF to BNC adaptor.  (although it was hiding under some packing plastic, a cheap USB cable and a mains cable with a European spec plug).  Thanks Nick!  This has saved me some cash.  (A quick check on Amazon indicates they are about £5 for four, including postage, but hey, it all helps!)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12