Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pro - SQ for classical music
(22-Nov-2016, 14:04)NickB Wrote: But isn't the Devialet "Digital trash" anyway?

Yeah, but it's 'Devialet-Digi-Trash'...that sounds better anyway  Big Grin .

You are right. But 'extraneous digital trash' even leads to more jitter on his 'old classical music' (now I'm safe  Tongue  ) signal.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
A little while back, @arcam sent me a copy of one track that he felt highlighted the issues he had found with the Pro and classical music. The track was Bach: Sonata #1 In G Minor For Solo Violin, BWV 1001 - 1. Adagio, Nathan Milstein, Bach: Sonates & Partitas, 1973. Obviously when trying this I started with some kind of 'expectation bias', that is I was expecting to sound bad in some way. On first listen, I thought it actually sounded pretty good for a 1973 recording. I have tried it again today, with I hope any expectations eliminated, and again, I think it is fine.
For sure, if I had happened to have stumbled over this particular track myself, I would not have noticed anything untoward at all. Maybe my ears? Something in the system, front end speakers? Who knows! Anyway, if someone else fancies trying the track, PM me your private email and I'd be happy to send a copy.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I've played the track through a couple of times on my system (at the time of writing: AIR 3.0.x, 440 Pro, Kaiser Chiara).

If I'd heard it outside of the context of this thread, I don't think this track would have raised any eyebrows for me. It does sound a very clean recording and I can clearly hear some "bow noise" - I'm sure there must be a technical term but I don't know it! - a kind of whispering, almost like sibilance, but I hear that when violin is played live too. Like Confused, I must say nothing leaps out at me as being unpleasant or unnatural. Based on that track, I'd listen to the whole album more than happily.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Once again...it is not the Devialet causing the anomalies in sound (as Confused and thumb5 test proof). It is something in the audio chain causing the "digital" sound. The D is just so eager to show it to you. The D is the magnifier not the culprit. The PROs even more than the Experts.

gui
berlin
(30-Dec-2016, 15:45)yabaVR Wrote: Once again...it is not the Devialet causing the anomalies in sound (as Confused and thumb5 test proof). It is something in the audio chain causing the "digital" sound. The D is just so eager to show it to you. The D is the magnifier not the culprit. The PROs even more than the Experts.

gui

Yes, but.....  I would have thought the same, however, both Thumb & @arcam used AIR, so the results should be very consistent.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
By the way, I should have mentioned that I was using iTunes as a player which I think is also consistent with arcam.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Don't draw conclusions too hastily yet. The track I shared with @Confused was to validate the file sharing method. I picked the first from the album, it may not be the faulty one. Sorry if I had not made this clear.

I will share some more tracks when I have returned home. Enjoying the new year in Paris currently. Happy New Year to you all.
(01-Jan-2017, 11:35)arcam Wrote: Don't draw conclusions too hastily yet. The track I shared with @Confused was to validate the file sharing method. I picked the first from the album, it may not be the faulty one. Sorry if I had not made this clear.

I will share some more tracks when I have returned home. Enjoying the new year in Paris currently. Happy New Year to you all.

But isn't it more than likely that it's just a faulty track(s) that's causing the digital anomalies? How can it technicaly be possible for a DAC ( Devialet) to work different on special tracks/music? The DAC is converting every 16/44.1 file the same way no matter its origin. As far as I know it's technicaly impossible for the DAC to do it any other way.

gui
berlin
(01-Jan-2017, 12:35)yabaVR Wrote: But isn't it more than likely that it's just a faulty track(s) that's causing the digital anomalies? How can it technicaly be possible for a DAC ( Devialet) to work different on special tracks/music? The DAC is converting every 16/44.1 file the same way no matter its origin. As far as I know it's technicaly impossible for the DAC to do it any other way.

In theory you're right. But this is a real system, so there are many reasons it could go wrong. In theory, none of my program has bugs... but hmm...  Angel

BTW, I've been lent some Socket 44 cables by my dealer - listening to Stan Getz right now (no classical allowed tonight) - and the sound is gorgeous, yet another level of realism attained. The players are just... in the room; and sometimes you'd wish they stop making noise, just like in reality. And the amount of bass ! 

I'll be off the Internet for a couple of weeks but will post some more classical experiments when I return now that my system is properly setup.

Cheers,